Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Anonymous_

MVM

to Anonymous_

Re: The guy that how holds the record for driving across the US

said by Anonymous_:

said by CylonRed:

My 2001 bmw does not nor if it could be heard mean I am speeding or want to speed.

speed laws are just to make money $$$$

Proven fact that going FASTER causes less crashes under ideal conditions

i.e Weather is not a factor.

only time I slow down is when weather is a factor.

Nothing of what you posted has one iota to do with the post you quoted...

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

said by CylonRed:

My 2001 bmw does not nor if it could be heard mean I am speeding or want to speed.

speed laws are just to make money $$$$

Proven fact that going FASTER causes less crashes under ideal conditions

i.e Weather is not a factor.

only time I slow down is when weather is a factor.

I am starting to smell something..... BS.....

As far as RPM noise is concerned, gear ratios in rear ends and trannies can give lots of top end speed without making the engine rev high. As far as police car recognition system you thought of, what about the guys standing in the parking lots and on street overpasses, etc. calling out to their buddies your speed waiting for you down the road? Different states have different laws on how they can monitor your speed.
As far as going faster causing less crashes in ideal conditions, you need to get some facts (from more than one creditable source) to back your claim up.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Anonymous_

MVM

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

there was no way for him to pull me over as there was 7-8 other car behind me going the same speed.
He can;t pull us all over

No, but he can pick any one of you and pull that person over. The only time someone bitches that "everyone else was going the same speed!" is when YOU are the person pulled over.

Anyway, I'm done with this unintelligent tangent of the topic at hand....

Back to the original topic, I looked for more information and they're all pretty much 90% re-hashes of the same details. Nothing new or interesting so far. Anyone else seen anything ?

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj

Premium Member

Little off topic on the pulling over multiple cars ...

About 18 years ago when I lived in Florida I had to attend a Safety Driving course as part of my punishment for speeding in a school zone.

We all sat there in the classroom waiting for everyone to arrive when this plainclothes officer sporting a side arm entered the class. The teacher, not knowing he was an officer asked why he's coming to class with a conceal weapon. That's when he revealed he was an officer ... you could imagine the uproar of the class. Anyway, long story short. He was off-duty heading home and was the last car inline of a three-car-train, cruising nicely at 80 in the left lane. Then apparently an over zealous cop came speeding up alongside him and motioned for him to pull over, then proceeded to do the same to the two other cars in front.
Needless to say that the Safety Course we had turned in to asking the cop about ticket quotas, acceptable speed over the speed limit etc.
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
said by Hall:

What is the kill switch for the rear lights for ?

...the only close call came late at night in Ohio when they passed a Crown Vic sitting in a median. Dave was driving, and Ed yelled to slow down – but it was too late. They passed the police car at 95 miles per hour. It didn't move an inch.

I have to wonder about that. I can only guess that there was enough traffic that kept the police car from pulling out and he knew at the speed they were going, he'd have a hard time catching up...

I don't know about Ohio, but a lot of states just leave police cruisers on the side of the road as a passive deterrent. I've seen one in NJ a few years ago with a mannequin in police uniform just standing on a grass just off the shoulder. I've also seen one in CT that had a pulsing radar installed. There was no cop, no chance of getting pulled over, but the cruiser was giving off radar signal to mess with radar detectors. The fun part was that 1/4 mile down the road was an actual speed trap.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

If I recall, it was in the highway median where they saw this. I've NEVER seen the Ohio Highway Patrol do this, nor heard of them doing it. Some local police departments have done this though.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to Beezel

Premium Member

to Beezel
»www.nhtsa.gov/people/inj ··· uson.pdf

page 4

Low-speed drivers were more likely to be involved in
crashes than relatively high speed drivers.

please no BS about train speed limits is not the same since cars are not on tracks.

I had many close calls most of them were in parking lots, seems most people don't look while backing up.
I think it's because they think it's not their fault if our cars come into contact. But it's their fault if they back into me.
Another time was someone was making a left turn I was going about 55-mph(which is the speed limit for the street) and it's fine to me since there was road conditions. i.e pot holes and bumpy pavement .Any ways SPEEDING UP prevented a crash (floored it) since he was turning in front of me. Other wise if I had slowed down he would have hit somewhere in-between the rear driver side door and the bumper.

His car was in the fast lane (the fast lane on my side)while I was passing by in the slow lane (his car was moving making the left turn).

There was no way he could have said he did not see me since I have factory High beam-DRL's (DRL is "low power" for the high beams) it makes the car visible with out blinding anyone.

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are

join:2001-02-21
Atlanta, GA

Gomez to Hall

to Hall
said by Hall:

Back to the original topic, I looked for more information and they're all pretty much 90% re-hashes of the same details. Nothing new or interesting so far. Anyone else seen anything ?

not much...

Speculation..

He's not going to release the actual data until the legal issues are expired... It's physical evidence, and he knows it; he talked to Roy in the planning stages.

The route can't vary significantly from the recorded routes of the past records, else it be deemed invalid by the the 'community' that finds interest in this..

I'm of the opinion that the goal is point A to point B and the route doesn't matter as long as wheels are on pavement/ground every mile. That opinion is not shared by all.

-G

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

1 edit

Hall

MVM

Only a fool would take a much different, and most certainly LONGER, route.

Looking at two different route options from Google, both have you on toll roads at one point or another. I'm curious how they got around those...

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are

Atlanta, GA

Gomez

Why worry about the toll roads? It's just a slow down for the automated tolls.. In many places they will be less crowded.

-G
bills
Premium Member
join:2000-08-19
China

bills

Premium Member

said by Gomez:

Why worry about the toll roads? It's just a slow down for the automated tolls.. In many places they will be less crowded.

-G

I thought you could still get a ticket if the clocked time was less than it would be at the speed limit?

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Yes, that's my understanding as well. There's a toll road that runs east-west across the top of Ohio that -- at one time -- was the case. If you made it between toll booth "a" and "b", which are "x" miles apart in under a fixed time, you could be ticketed for speeding.

Also, on some roads, the toll booths are really, annoying close to one another.

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are

Atlanta, GA

Gomez to bills

to bills
Automated toll tickets are urban legend. Everyone seems to know someone who knows someone who got one, but no one actually got one.. Odd..

The courts tend to demand a high level of accuracy, which is why calibration is a key defense, it also demands someone to testify as witness that a law was broken, another key defense using a delay..

A piece of paper from a ticket booth satisfies neither.

-G

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

The threat was not urban legend - I saw the posted signs myself. Was it just a threat ? Could have been....

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are

Atlanta, GA

Gomez

Signs is the proof? Common, you know better than that.. Please find me someone who has gotten this ticket..

A first semester law student can demand accuracy of the timestamps, and get that thrown out.

Urban myth..

-G
Gomez

1 recommendation

Gomez to natedj

to natedj
Getting interesting.. Lifted from some other place..

Rawlings
I really think it’s a damn shame that a media outlet as reputable as the Jalopnik would recognize Alex Roy’s “transcontinental” record in the same sentence as a Cannonball Run record breaker. I was talking to Burt Reynolds this weekend about it and he confirmed that the Cannonball Run starts at Red Ball Garage in Manhattan and finishes at Portofino Inn in Redondo Beach, CA. That’s what Brock Yates and his team did in 1971. That’s what Dave Heinz and Dave Yarborough did in 1979. That’s what Dennis Collins and I did in 2007. That’s what Ed Bolian claims to have done just this year. Who’s missing from that list? Alex Roy. Alex didn’t make it to the Cannonball Run finish line. His attempt ended at Santa Monica Pier. So why compare Ed’s Cannonball Run record-breaking time to Roy’s unofficial “transcontinental” race time? I’m not trying to bash Roy, here, but why not compare apples to apples? Dennis and I finished the Cannonball Run in a record-breaking 31 hours and 59 minutes, and now, according to this article, it looks like Ed Bolian did the unthinkable (but not impossible) by breaking our record with a finishing time of 28 hours and 50 minutes. He can now join the elite few (6 teams to be exact) who have set a Cannonball Run record, and THAT’s bad ass. That’s what this article should have been about. Besides, as Burt said, they didn’t make movies about “transcontinental” races… they made movies about the Cannonball Run.

Roy responding to Rawlings:
Richard, I love you so much, even moreso after our phone conversation on this very topic a few days ago. I generally keep my opinion private and only publicly state positions I can back up. You remain one of the only people whose word I take on faith, but...

You really kill two stones with one bird here, both impugning my 31:04 time cross country while maybe recognizing Ed Bolian's time.

Given how many questions I've gotten about this, and how much has been omitted from your and other discussion threads, I've spoken to Hardigree and will be running a clarificatory story on Jalopnik Monday to address your and various other threads.

A definitive article covering the history of the Cannonball Run, U.S. Express and subsequent cross country runs is sorely lacking. I promise (wink) to include the routes, times, average speeds and burden of proof for each and every run that took place and has been admitted publicly, including yours.

Kisses, Alex Roy

ryder9
join:2003-01-09
here

ryder9 to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
39 to 40 is a doozy.... did that (chicago to san diego) me and the wifey did it in 33 in a jeep compass......
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to natedj

to natedj
Loved the article. I did a cross Canada trip when I was about 20. We took our sweet a** time getting to newfoundland but were very low on funds when we got there. We drove (including the 5 hour ferry) from St. Johns to Vancouver in about 4 days. I think we had 2 nights out of the 3 that we slept. (trip was 4 days, 3 nights).

I think it's about 4500 miles. We slept once on the newfoundland ferry, and once we stopped, slept for 8 hours and I think the rest was driving. We also took a minor 1 hour tour to drive over the bridge to PEI.

We also did it in a chevy sprint.. lol.. because it was so cheap on gas.... when you've got one of things going 150kph (93mph) you don't feel very safe The highway system in Canada isn't nearly as good as the US either. Lots of single lane highway. The only places where you make super fast time are in the praries where it's two lanes, flat, and straight.

Good read though. Has me itching for a road trip. I liked the part about using radios to get the truckers to pull over. I was driving up the I5 this summer, and in California this really seemed to be a trend. Truckers passing truckers 1mph faster. Thus preventing anyone from passing at a real passing speed. It was really annoying. You don't see that too much up here....
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
They are not going to go after him, no matter how much you want them too.
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

ctggzg to natedj

Premium Member

to natedj
Is that like the "record" for fastest bank robbery? It's not exactly something to brag about.
ctggzg

ctggzg to HarryH3

Premium Member

to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

Then there are also the left-lane bandits that just camp out next to the car to their right while traffic piles up for miles behind them. (But I'm sure that every single one of those idiots would swear on their mothers grave that they are "safe" drivers).

You lose your "fast" lane privileges if you're speeding. I'm not one of the people you describe, but they're sure as hell safer drivers then someone trying to go 10+ over the limit.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve to ctggzg

to ctggzg
said by ctggzg:

It's not exactly something to brag about.

Cool/fun people would have no trouble bragging about such an awesome feat.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

I guess, if you think driving across the country while breaking laws is "awesome"...

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

and I guess you have never broken any in your life - either when young or now.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

I didn't say I didn't... I just don't go around bragging about it.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

1 recommendation

Steve to Cheese

to Cheese
said by Cheese:

I guess, if you think driving across the country while breaking laws is "awesome"...

Umyah

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 recommendation

Doctor Olds to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
said by Cheese:

I guess, if you think driving across the country while breaking silly and restrictive traffic laws is "awesome"...

Corrected that for you and yeah you try to make it sound like rape and murder occurred instead of speeding on wide open stretches of highway. LOL

It was a Gumball, that's all.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

Hall

MVM

Excuse me, didn't you read all of those reports about the destruction and carnage that they left all along their route ?!?! Oh, you didn't ? Me either....