spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

krummbum

@direcway.com

GEN4 rocks!

I have had "the old" Hughesnet service out in the country for the last two years, and it has been....ok. Not fast, but relatively dependable. Actually, really slow...but dependable. I read the reviews for Gen4 and they really scared me, but I didn't have a lot of choices, so I called Hughesnet. They agreed to let me try it for a month without a contract, since I have a Verizon hotspot that is working, but expensive. I wanted a cheaper alternative, and the Hughesnet promise of 10 MBS was tantalizing. They installed it today.

First...FAST! It is living up to exactly what it was supposed to do...10 MBS downloads, right on the money. After 1-2 for the last 2 years, my hair is on fire!

Second....customer service. We had issues with some of our computers finding the network at first, so I called, and a very helpful techie person got it working in about 20 minutes. It is now rocking my world, and I am a believer!

I don't know if those early reviews were from a sort of rocky roll-out of the new system last year, but I can tell you it is running great on 4 macs with 10.7.5, and even with the data caps on the program, it is significantly faster and cheaper than the Verizon hotspot that is going back next week.

Thank you Hughesnet! I will promote you to anyone who asks!

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
Wow are you ever are asking for trouble with that post here krummbum!!!

I tolerated Hughes' 500-600Kbps download speeds and the limited bandwidth (200Mb/day+FAP-free) for many years, then switched over to Virgin Mobile 3G a couple yrs ago, which was about twice as fast, half the latency, and 5Gb+ of downloads per month. Kept HN as a backup and used it for FAP-free downloads and the occasional VM outage.

When my dish broke I upgraded and have been rock-solid for about a week now, though we HAVE had a couple of storms that knocked-out the sat reception, but only temporarily.

I've had to get used to the latency of satellite again, but the Gen4 downloads have been crazy-fast and bandwidth is so-far-so-good, and Hughes has relegated VM to backup-only status for me. I do hope this performance continues; so far it's been almost too good to be believed and I pinch myself sometimes.

You may still want to have some sort of pay-by-the-drink 3G service like VM's to get you through weather problems...
--
Gen4 Power Plan HT1100 v3.0.0.30 Signal Strength Typical 125

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
reply to krummbum
Wait til after your 30-day satisfaction period is over. hughesnet wants everything to "appear" hunky-dory during the initial trial...

Day 32, wait and see.....You'll see the evil in Hughesnet grow its horns quick! LOL

Elkhorn

join:2009-12-31
Lyons, OR
reply to krummbum
I live in Oregon and have been on Gen4 for almost 12 months now, it generally works as advertised and I'm quite satisfied.....
--
HT1000, Gen4, Power PLUS, Beam 10, Windows 7

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to krummbum
I second compuguybna's post. Been with hughes for juuusst about 8 years and its been an interesting journey.

On the bright side though, i really must say their ETA for maintenance repairs(no matter how severe) is'nt too bad.. I've actually heard worse from other providers. Frontier in my area was down for maintenance for 2 weeks this past summer.

It's certainly not a perfect provider or anywhere being on the list of best providers on the planet. I've actually heard that "for sale" houses that have satellite internet already installed in them bring the price of the house down, alot.
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password

Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

james1979
Premium
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA

3 edits
reply to laserfan
said by laserfan:

Wow are you ever are asking for trouble with that post here krummbum!!!
I do hope this performance continues; so far it's been almost too good to be believed and I pinch myself sometimes.

I find it helpful when people make positive reports. (The natural inclination being to only to only report problems.)

During "prime time", there was light rain. My signal strength was 105. I got 1.4 Mbps on testmynet while I got 1.2 Mbps on »consumer.performancetests.hughesnet.com/. At 5:50 AM, there is heavy rain. My receive signal strength is 70. I just got 9.990 Mbps on the HN speed test site. I haven't bothered with HN's technical support. There has already been a site visit, and I have trouble understanding how swapping out modems would fix this "time of day" problem.

Gen4 doesn't "rock" for me, but I have encouraged forum members to upgrade to either Gen4 or Exede 12. Forum users have reported that HN will let you out of your contract if your speeds don't quite work out.
--
Last edit attempt

Gen4 / HT1000 - Beam 51 / Time Capsule (3rd gen), Exede 12 / Airport Express (2nd gen), OSX Snow Leopard

laserfan

Texas
said by james1979:

During "prime time"...I got 1.4 Mbps on testmynet while I got 1.2 Mbps on »consumer.performancetests.hughesnet.com/.

People here (and everywhere) want to downplay the effects of "prime time" demand and blame HN for slowness always, but I don't know that I can 100% buy that. It seems to me with so very many people these days streaming movies & video during the "prime time" evening hours it just HAS TO slow-down the WWW infrastructure.

Now someone will say "well at my house I always get 50Mbps down even at 900p at night during prime time" but I believe that's the exception and not the rule.
--
Gen4 Power Plan Jupiter HT1100 v3.0.0.30 Signal Strength Typical 125+

james1979
Premium
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA

1 edit
said by laserfan:

People here (and everywhere) want to downplay the effects of "prime time" demand and blame HN for slowness always, but I don't know that I can 100% buy that. It seems to me with so very many people these days streaming movies & video during the "prime time" evening hours it just HAS TO slow-down the WWW infrastructure.

Those strange city dwellers also complain about prime time slow down with their cable ISPs. At least in the UK, ISPs intentionally throttle speeds during prime time to deal with the problem. I am indeed experiencing "prime time slowdown" with Gen4. However, during off-hours, even when testmy.net and HN's speedtest report my advertised "up to" speed of 10 Mbps, I can't stream HD video reliably. My speeds are just too erratic for streaming. I have never encountered such a problem with the Exede-12 service. Exede-12 is fast 24/7. This disproves HN's assertion that satellite Internet is inherently flawed, and that one cannot expect to be able to watch HD video over satellite especially during prime time.

So my question to you and krummbum is "Can you watch Netflix / Hulu in HD even during off hours?"
--
Gen4 / HT1000 - Beam 51 / Time Capsule (3rd gen), Exede 12 / Airport Express (2nd gen), OSX Snow Leopard

laserfan

Texas

2 edits
said by james1979:

So my question to you and krummbum is "Can you watch Netflix / Hulu in HD even during off hours?"

I don't stream at all, at least nothing more exotic than YouTubes or website embedded vids, so can't confirm or deny your assertions.

If I'm ever asked about "satellite" and "streaming" I will mention that "Exede might work" but IMO the two don't mix and sat should never be depended-upon for this type of activity.

But I should add that in general wrt ISP discussions I say "avoid at all costs" re: Satellite since it's only us gear-heads that can understand it well enough to use it effectively!

BTW I did recently have occasion to need "streaming" when TiVo didn't record a TV episode completely (football game went OT or something) and I didn't at the time have the presence of mind to try streaming it off Amazon or whatnot, instead opting for downloading the episode and watching the it later. But for that I wouldn't bother with HD, opting for the easier SD download instead. Still looked good enough to enjoy it, such that in the future if I encounter another such problem I will try streaming but only in SD mode!

--

bill672

join:2004-09-02
Cambridge, NY
reply to krummbum
I've had Gen4, 10/1.5 Mb service for months, now, and also am very pleased. I don't understand those who say it's not much better than dial-up.

Downloads are very fast. I just downloaded a 35MB podcast in about 10-15 secs. I downloaded a major 5GB operating system upgrade in a little over an hour (i'm not sure of the time because I started it and then went back to sleep.) I used to take my laptop elsewhere to do system upgrades. YouTube and other videos don't stall very often.

I like the monthly bandwidth limit and don't worry so much if I have a day with a lot of downloads. I even use cloud storage, which I had avoided in the past. I find I'm usually only using less than half of the monthly allotment. I don't stream movies, or play games, but for most other uses, I think Gen4 is more than adequate.

A houseguest who lives with a fast cable modem connection at home, commented that Gen 4 felt fast to him even browsing. He noticed the initial latency, but most sites then come down fast enough.
--
Upstate NY Gen4 HT1000, Apple Airport(802.11n)/ Mac OS X 10.8

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to krummbum
Here's my Verizon Hotspot LTE results with my 20 GB Millenicom plan. I used to have HN (HN 6000) and the service sucked because of over subscription and too little bandwidth.

laserfan

Texas
reply to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

Wait til after your 30-day satisfaction period is over. hughesnet wants everything to "appear" hunky-dory during the initial trial... Day 32, wait and see.....You'll see the evil in Hughesnet grow its horns quick! LOL

Well I am into day 40-something and everything's still great. For the same price as before, with no upgrade costs (just a new 2yr committment) I am getting 15x the old speeds and way more useable bandwidth (old was 200M/day plus FAP, new is ~20G).

And the system doesn't go away in a rainstorm like it did before either.

I'm sorry there are so many people who have had trouble with Gen4 but glad I am not one of them...!
--