Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB

Re: BadBios

said by TamaraB:

If any of this is true, I find it incredible that it has not infected millions of machines. Ruie has been chasing this for 3 years and in all that time no other computer has seen the infection?

The symptoms of system settings changing, files being deleted, and inability to boot from CD drives are symptoms which would be aparant even to the most casual computer user. So, why is Ruiu the only person who has ever seen this?

This thing, if real, is aparently so virulent, you would expect it to be widespread by now. This fact alone makes this story very fascinating. If such a complex virus was created why is it only infecting the machines of one researcher? Something here does not compute!

I'm thinking he infected himself.

The story right from the get go states that he himself installed the firmware that is causing the problems. Then the article never mentions where he got the firmware from or the OS software.

Looks like someone wanted some funding/attention before being axed from their job.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by Cthen:

I'm thinking he infected himself.

[...]

Then the article never mentions where he got the firmware from or the OS software.

No. I don't think so. The article claims the the first infected machine was a MacBook Air, and it did a firmware update on it's own; all by itself.

If he infected himself, he must have been the author, which is clearly not the case.

I don't know what to think about this. It's strange to say the least. Perhaps in the end explained by a psychological and mental break on his part, or some really advanced NSA engineered male-ware he somehow came into contact with at a hacker conference.

It's a very interesting and as yet unknown story. It could be real, it could be a fantasy, it could be a psychological break. Whatever; it's fascinating!