All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Buddylee
join:2013-09-10
Brooklyn, NY

Buddylee

Signal attenuater to lower downstream power level?

My downstream power levels are all around 7 dBmV to 8 dBmV and my upstreams are 42 dBmV and 40 dBmV. I am considering adding a 3 db signal attenuator to lower the downstreams a bit. I believe this should make my downstreams close to 5 dBmV and my upstreams close to 45dBmV. My line already has one three way splitter in it.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Maybe just some thoughts and feedback?

This is the one I bought from amazon.

»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· F8&psc=1

AnonPhx
@cox.net

AnonPhx

Anon

A two way splitter would have done about the same thing, but since you already bought it they are widely used in commercial operations but in the order of 9 or 12db version.

It will honestly not make any difference in speed or performance if your levels were already in spec.
Buddylee
Brooklyn, NY

Buddylee

I also bought a 10 db one, maybe I'll just take out the splitter and put that in.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to AnonPhx

to AnonPhx
I feel adding a splitter would only artificially improve the signal levels. What is the wire lay out from street to modem for your signal to be that high? Is it direct? Maybe something can be lowered at the pole/street?
Buddylee
Brooklyn, NY

Buddylee

I was told by a cox tech that it couldn't be lowered and that I had to use the splitter. I had a problem with my upstream power levels spiking at random times causing me to drop connection but I think cox finally fixed it. I have an all new line running from the box in the street straight to my modem. The only thing in the line is the splitter and the run from the tap is not very long.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Buddylee

Premium Member

to Buddylee
they also boost upstream power by same amount.
bchandler02
join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02 to Buddylee

to Buddylee
I use an attenuator on my setup (3 or 6db, can't remember), because my house is closest and my run is so short. Street --> Box on house (grounding block is only thing inside it) --> short run to modem, with attenuator placed here.

My signals all average +6 to +7 on downstream and ~41 on upstream. I don't think you are that far off, so unless you're having problems, I wouldn't worry about it.

More important would be how clean of a line is it. What is your SnR?
Buddylee
Brooklyn, NY

Buddylee

The SnR right now is 37dB 37dB 38dB and 38dB. What should I be looking for in SnR?

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

+35 for SNR is what we consider acceptable. As for the signal issue if you're not experiencing service issues I'd leave well enough alone. If it becomes and issue a tech can come out and provide an attenuator if it is deemed necessary.
bchandler02
join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02 to Buddylee

to Buddylee
I agree, you have a good SNR. Your signals are higher than average but within spec, probably due to a short distance from the source outside of your home.

If everything is working fine now, I wouldn't touch it. Your setup is very similar to mine and I've been rock solid since the early part of this year with it (after they finally fixed some other crap upstream)