Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

iPad Air theory question

16gb wifi vs 16gb T-Mobile with free data?

It's basically $15 a month with ATT.

499 - 629 = $130. In theory, it'll pay for itself in 8.6 months.

Anyone else thinking this too?
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

thats assuming you must have data, and you don't go over 200mb.

I have a 3G/LTE iPad4 (it was a gift), and I never had service for it. I always just tether to my iPhone's internet.
--

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

reply to Mike

Actually I just looked and it's all horse shit lies smoke and mirrors.

It's not free. It's free*

*you must be a tmobile voice subscriber and get a $10 credit each month.

I cancelled my order. Hope they choke.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Yeah,....

I'm thinking the extra money would be better spent stepping up to the 32GB WiFi only iPad Air then the WiFi + Cell if that is the case.

If it were free with any T-Mobile account that would be different,....

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

Actually I just looked and it's all horse shit lies smoke and mirrors.

It's not free. It's free*

*you must be a tmobile voice subscriber and get a $10 credit each month.

I cancelled my order. Hope they choke.

It is free. You just need a T-Mobile Prepaid account - now called "Pay In Advance".

My pre-paid account was converted to 200MB Free Starter this morning.

To get $0 down, you need to either pay the $10/month or be post-paid voice sub.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

quote:
It is free
10 seconds later

quote:
you need to either pay the $10/month
Bet you a dollar they get sued.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

2 edits

said by Mike:

quote:
It is free
10 seconds later

quote:
you need to either pay the $10/month
Bet you a dollar they get sued.

The free data plan and the $0/down deal are separate..

edit: It's actually pretty clear (think they re-wrote this) on the FAQ on the bottom of every "tablet $0 down" page:
said by »www.t-mobile.com/landing/free-mo···ata.html :

In order to get the 200 MB of free Starter Data, you need to have an active Mobile Internet account with T-Mobile.

If you are a postpaid customer, you’ll need to have an On Demand data plan at minimum which is $0/mo. if you are a voice customer (after $10 line credit).

If you are a prepaid customer, you’ll need to activate a prepaid account. You do not have to a purchase data pass in order to access your free Starter Data. T-Mobile does not require an annual service contract.

The part that is confusing is in order to get the tablet for $0 down, you need to be a post-paid subscriber. The post-paid vs pre-paid plans are different. Post-paid is $10/month minimum for 200MB. After your financing expires, you can switch to a pre-paid plan at $0/month. You are not forced to stay at $10/month forever.

Basically they're making $10/month off you because you're cheap and decided to buy your tablet on credit instead of paying out-right. Shady, but nothing they're gonna get sued over.

edit 2: Even more proof of it truly being free (if you can read):
»twitter.com/JohnLegere/status/39···53953024
»9to5mac.com/2013/11/01/t-mobile-···e-error/

--

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

so it's not free. you have to pay for something else and this is your benefit.

Free = anyone buys a T-Mobile iPad, then free data forever no strings.

There are more strings with this than a sweater.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·voip.ms
reply to Mike

Sure, if you need the cellular feature.

They are also offering 2-year plans $26.25/month, to purchase the iPad without having to pay the $629 upfront. (that includes the 200 free MB/mont)

Obviously they're trying to steal customers away from AT&T and others because they're not making much money, although I am unsure what the "list" price for these devices are.

For sure, though, if I lived in the US, or even right by the US/Canada border, I'd be going this route. Not really any good plans for the iPad in Canada right now. Telus has something, but only for existing customers, basically, $480 off of the device ($580 if you take in an old tablet) and you pay $20 monthly PLUS data monthly fee (as little as $5, but that gets you only 10MB).

Though I have to wonder if our one smaller provider might do something like this...who knows.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

1 edit
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

Did you even read what I posted?

Buy T-Mobile iPad for $629 (normal price). Sign up for FREE Pay In Advance Mobile Internet plan. Get free 200MB data. Pretty simple.

If you want to pay nothing for your iPad up front, of course there are strings and monthly fees. Supposedly that $10 plan requirement is a mistake (according to the CEO), but that's still a bit unclear to me.

Edit: they finally updated their pre-paid page. It now lists the completely free 200MB/mo plan:
»prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/free···net-data
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

It still looks like it is. From the other thread

»9to5mac.com/2013/11/01/t-mobile-···e-error/

"Now, T-Mobile CEO John Legere has responded to this mixup by noting that there are “no strings attached.” He calls the charges an “executional mistake” and notes that the situation will be corrected…"

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Thinkdiff

Doesn't this also work for a BYOD iPad? If you BYOD to T-Mobile, do you get free data? After reading the other thread I am more confused than when I started.

It should be a Yes or No question to T-Mobile. Yes if there are really no strings...no if there are.
--
Nocchi rules.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

said by skeechan:

Doesn't this also work for a BYOD iPad? If you BYOD to T-Mobile, do you get free data? After reading the other thread I am more confused than when I started.

Yes.

I'm trying to set this up on my iPad mini (Verizon) now, so I'll let you know how it goes. Half way there - account is activated, but need to get the starter pass added. Supposed to be automatic, but it's taking awhile.
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

So it seems like they have some issues they need to work out...

Called T-Mobile after waiting a few hours for the data plan to activate. The CSR had no idea what I was talking about - she thought it was crazy they would offer data for free. After talking to her supervisor for a good 5-8 minutes, she came back and said the starter plan has to be added automatically (they don't have the option of manually applying it). Unfortunately due to the new system, that can take up to 3 days at the moment. They gave me enough credit to buy a few day passes while I wait.

But at least that confirms that, yes, you can bring your own device, put a t-mobile prepaid SIM card in it, and activate it with the 200MB plan - all for free.
--

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to Mike

iPad Air theory question -- GPS?

said by Mike:

Anyone else thinking this too?

Well, I am looking to replace my older iPad with an iPad Air. My iPad is WiFi only. After I bought it I discovered to my dismay, that it was not GPS enabled, that the only iPads with GPS capabilities were the ones with cellular. So, I had to purchase this add-on GPS unit from Dual, it connects via bluetooth. Looking at the new iPad Air's specs, the same situation holds, only cellular enabled models have what Apple calls "Assisted GPS".

Can I upgrade to a cellular enabled model, not activate the cellular (I don't need cellular, have WiFi everywhere) and have a functioning GPS? Do these units have a GPS receiver? Or do they somehow depend on cellular connections to provide GPS? Why no GPS receiver in WiFi only iPads?

--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

Why no GPS receiver in WiFi only iPads?

AGPS is embedded in the cellular chip -- no cell no assisted GPS.

Scroll to the bottom of the specs page: »www.apple.com/ipad-air/specs/ under Location.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to TamaraB

My understanding is that WiFi + Cellular models have GPS but typically the GPS apps require data for on the fly map downloads. Apparently there are some GPS apps with maps that don't need to be downloaded as you navigate though.

My question to you, I thought you needed to jailbreak an iOS device to have it work with a Bluetooth GPS like the one you have. So did you jailbreak your iPad for this?

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

2 recommendations

said by Octavean:

My question to you, I thought you needed to jailbreak an iOS device to have it work with a Bluetooth GPS like the one you have. So did you jailbreak your iPad for this?

No jailbreak. It pairs like any other bluetooth device, and just works. I use it with MotionX GPS, which has it's own map set. As long as you have the maps downloaded while you have a connection (WiFi in my case), you don't need any data connection. Same with iTopoMaps. Pre-load the maps and data is not needed.

EDIT: P.S. The unit has a neat suction device you can attach to the windshield of a car, so apps like MotionX GPS Drive works. You can also power it from a cigaret lighter plug which comes with the unit.

--
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

Outstanding! Sounds like you have a fairly good working solution then.

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

Yes, it works well. I also have this XTG Technologies Solar-USB charger, which makes the entire setup very mobile. The problem which I want to alleviate is having to cary extra gear.

I want to get the iPad Air (or more probably the new iPad Mini) advantages-- longer battery life , lighter, and does not require an external GPS receiver. I just don't know if not activating the cellular portion will disable the GPS. I'll have to call Apple, but I don't know if their sales people will have an accurate answer to my concerns. The 128GB cellular-enabled unit is over 1K-Bucks after tax. I have to be sure the GPS is fully functional.

--
Should ever be forgot."

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX

said by TamaraB:

I just don't know if not activating the cellular portion will disable the GPS.

I've had GPS on both of my iPads and GPS runs independently of cellular. Turn off cellular and it still works. However, if you put the iPad in airplane mode that does disable GPS.

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
reply to TamaraB

You don't need cellular for gps. But unless you have an app with preloaded maps you also need internet access to load them.

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

Yes, I know. I have access to WiFi everywhere. Between my home WiFi, and CableWiFi which is ubiquitous here in the city, as well as many commercial and public establishments providing free WiFi, I can connect to the Net everywhere. I really don't understand why Apple has not included GPS hardware in their WiFi only iPads.

GPS is the sort of thing which is most useful in places where there is neither Cell service, nor WiFi service, like mountain and bike trails and out in a boat. If you are not forced to get a data plan to activate GPS on these devices, it makes no sense to cripple them that way.

--
Should ever be forgot."

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
reply to Mike

Re: iPad Air theory question

The only way to get free is to steal something, and not get caught. Otherwise there's always a catch ...
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to TamaraB

Re: iPad Air theory question -- GPS?

said by TamaraB:

I really don't understand why Apple has not included GPS hardware in their WiFi only iPads

Because the GPS "hardware" is not separate from the cellular chip.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

I suppose that makes reasonable sense.

In the iPad and other iOS devices there is an endless quest to make them smaller and lighter. Therefore the convergence of components taking on double or triple duty just makes sense in such an SoC based device.

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

said by TamaraB:

I really don't understand why Apple has not included GPS hardware in their WiFi only iPads

Because the GPS "hardware" is not separate from the cellular chip.

Thanks! Makes sense. Apple should make this clear on their site. I bought a WiFi Retina iPad, and was shocked that GPS was not available. It was very clear Cellular was not, but no mention that GPS was also not included in the WiFi only device.

I know better now.
--
Should ever be forgot."

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

I posted this earlier, you must have missed it:

said by darcilicious:

AGPS is embedded in the cellular chip -- no cell no assisted GPS.

Scroll to the bottom of the specs page: »www.apple.com/ipad-air/specs/ under Location.

Under Location it's pretty clear -- there's no mention of GPS under the wifi only model(s).
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
reply to TamaraB

said by TamaraB:

Apple should make this clear on their site.

It has always been clear since the original iPad in the specs for the device. I have never understood since the beginning why everyone only discussed whether they needed cellular when discussing the $130 difference in price. That was one reason my first (original) iPad was 3G. Turns out that I have really used the cellular but I knew from the beginning that even without it being enabled the GPS was still worth spending the extra for.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to skeechan

Re: iPad Air theory question

said by skeechan:

It should be a Yes or No question to T-Mobile. Yes if there are really no strings...no if there are.

It turned out there was an issue with my old SIM card. I gave up waiting for the system to "automatically" add on the starter plan, and I just happened to have an extra unactivated pre-paid SIM laying around.

Cut it down to nano-SIM size, put it in my Mini and started Safari:

Clicked through a few pages, entered my info and email address to create an account, and 30 seconds later:

Couldn't have been simpler. iPad is online and working great.

Edit: BTW, pre-paid SIM cards are free at t-mobile.com right now. I ordered 3 for my family members' iPads over the weekend.
--