Search similar:

uniqs
sjutton
join:2012-04-16
Simpsonville, SC

sjutton to IowaMudRider

to IowaMudRider

Re: Millenicom Unlimited To Millenicom Verizon Hotspot

Well, I checked back in just now with the Millenicom chat regarding the hotspot delivery. The rep said they were getting "down to the last ones", but still could not give me a estimated date. She did say next week was "very possible". Apparently you can request FEDEX for $20 and they will move you up, but I'm not anxious to give Millenicom more money at this point.....
Steve
IowaMudRider
join:2013-09-12
Montrose, IA

IowaMudRider to sjutton

to sjutton
Its usps express i believe and yes i paid 20 dollars extra.
IowaMudRider

IowaMudRider to sjutton

to sjutton
They automatically charged me 20 dollars for USPS Express not FEDEX.
sjutton
Simpsonville, SC

sjutton to IowaMudRider

to IowaMudRider
Just got an the invoice and shipping notice. woo whoo! Coming priority mail.
IowaMudRider
Montrose, IA

IowaMudRider

about time huh?
sjutton
Simpsonville, SC

sjutton

No Joke! With Veterans Day though, I may not get it until Tuesday. Going to re-point my antenna this weekend. The Verizon tower is 2.6 miles away, much further than the Sprint antenna on our road (.4). Will be interesting to find out what speed I get, and whether I get 3G and 4G. Before I ditched Hughesnet, I had the Verizon people check for Homefusion and they refused to install it since they couldn't guarantee speeds.
IowaMudRider
Montrose, IA

IowaMudRider

I'm hoping mine gets here tomorrow, so i don't have to leave home and submit this giant research project through the school wifi..

I don't know how Verizon operates in South Carolina but here in Iowa I'm 5 miles from the tower in a "no service" area (the Millenicom techs were worried about this) and my phone gets a very good 3g signal sitting in the window which is how im writing this...

The Exede techs cancelled their appointment AGAIN with me today, and won't be here till after Veterans day to work on my system lazy bums! I hope Tuesday is colder then it is today if i didn't need their late night free zone they would have been gone a long time ago.
sjutton
Simpsonville, SC

sjutton

Assuming your terrain is flat (Iowa) I would think you would still get a good signal (but I'm not one of experts here) even with 5 mi. I can't see the tower from my house, since I'm a bit lower...so we'll see. The leaves are coming down so if I'm going to get a good signal it will be now.

Diugo
@blackberry.net

Diugo to IowaMudRider

Anon

to IowaMudRider
Keep in mind that simple distance from tower is not a good predictor of signal strength, since cell towers don't necessarily transmit omnidirectionally. You may be in a fringe area of the signal, which may be more susceptible to weakening due to weather and ground obstacles.
funnygurl3
join:2008-01-03
Lakeside, CA

funnygurl3 to IowaMudRider

to IowaMudRider
I just got mine Thursday afternoon, but didn't plug it in until Friday. Wowza! To hell with Sprint! Doh. I think the most I got from them was just over 2mb/s, but on average it was around 1mb/s. I don't even get 4G with them at the house on my mobile. Cricket was about .50mb/s on average. Granted, we allegedly live near a tower, but I live in the foothills with boulders blocking my view in virtually every direction at some point and wasn't expecting much, but this is fab!

I'm just using the MiFi device without anything else hooked up and 3 cell bars (not in the best spot due to it charging in my room). It fluctuates a bit, but it seems to be between 18-20 download speed. So far, I've not had to bother with the Cradlepoint (MBR95) and it seems to reach clear across the house at about the same signal, dropping to about 15mp/s--though we're in a one-story (2200sqft-ish).

Still, I'm a bit worried about the accuracy of the data usage and speed, with it all possibly making me go over now. We were just cresting over 20 gigs on the unlimited Sprint plan, and I'm not sure if I trust the MiFi screen. Guess we'll see and I'll have to try and not go nuts with Youtube *cough*.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Funnygurl don't depend on the internal meter. look at my link and go to Verizon Wireless and set up an account.

»Re: How much data am I using?
IowaMudRider
Montrose, IA

IowaMudRider to funnygurl3

to funnygurl3
Wow! those are awesome speeds, looks like my Mifi won't be here til Monday if Usps runs on veterans day
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

might be there today
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

go to Verizon Wireless and set up an account.

I thought Millenicom customers aren't allowed to do that, no?

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

1 edit

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

I have 3 Verizon accounts. I have not seen anything from Millenicom in writing that says I can't. Just some rambling on a forum saying it can't be done.
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

Here's why I think there needs to be a caution light blinking here.

When I first became a Millenicom user, I was told informally, by a few posts here, that if I had a technical problem I could go straight to Sprint; I didn't need to go through Millenicom. This was especially true in my case because I also had an actual Sprint account, for my cell phone, an account I still have, by the way.

So that's what I did, for about a year.

The third time I called in for service to Sprint, I received a message from Millenicom which said, in part: "our upstream gateway has alerted us that you have bypassed our Millenicom technical support team and went directly to the upstream carrier to address an issue with your Millenicom account...we have been instructed by them to close your account with us."

It took the better part of a day to straighten that out and restore my account.

I'm not saying that creating an account with Verizon is the same thing as going to Sprint Technical Support. But why take that chance?

Perhaps the solution is for anyone with Millenicom wishing to create an account with Verizon to call Millenicom, explain exactly what you would be using the account for (keeping track of data), and making sure they're okay with it. Nine chances out of ten, they'll be fine with it, and this way you've protected yourself.
IowaMudRider
Montrose, IA

IowaMudRider

I think i am with criggs on this one, I don't wanna take the chance (small is may be) of getting Mcom in trouble with Verizon.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

I went straight to Sprint many time regarding the operation of their Tower I was using. Nothing else. They knew who I was from my ID and gave me the good phone numbers to reach the right people.

Actually I never had any other reason to contact anyone about a problem except one time I had an email problem and put in a ticket on that with Millenicom.

I'm not the least worried about the Verizon as it only gives the usage data for the phone number involved. Had one for several years for my wife's Vz account with no issue. That's a lot different than trying to use Vz customer service for the millenicom account.
tbmay
join:2013-07-20
Greenwood, SC

tbmay to criggs

to criggs
To be honest with you, I find verbiage of the mail you described a bit disturbing.

So basically they're upset that you called Sprint? Were they saying the "upstream gateway" was upset about it?

Little red flags are starting to pop up. Why would that have been such a problem that they needed to cancel your account?
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

It was certainly unsettling and surprising. As for their reasons, I have no concrete knowledge, of course. I have guesses also, of course. I assume that the deal between Millenicom and Verizon and Sprint is that Millenicom promises to deal with any headaches caused by their subscribers and commits to taking responsibility for that. It may be that, as far as Verizon and Sprint are/were concerned, everyone being serviced by Millenicom constitutes one entity, and that's exactly what they want to deal with, one entity, namely Millenicom. Which would mean that any technical problem any Millenicom subscriber has needs to be communicated to Verizon and Sprint from Millenicom and Millenicom only.

Of course, Jack's experience would seem to suggest otherwise, so who knows?

Diugo
@blackberry.net

Diugo

Anon

According to the Sprint Wholesale page, Sprint offers its MVNOs a whole spectrum of services, up to an including full customer service support direct from Sprint itself. So it's entirely up to how Sprint and Millenicom/Jarod negotiated their deal. That said, Criggs' nastygram from Millenicom suggested that CS wasn't part of the bargain.

I'm quite torn wrt the popular suggestion that you all should just establish Verizon accounts. On the one hand, you do so to ensure that our usage is under control, and VZW should appreciate that. OTOH, you also do so without any blessing from Millenicom---and given their precarious situation at the moment, I think it would be prudent to not rock the boat any more than necessary.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to criggs

to criggs
likely Millenicom does not want any account holder to be asking Verizon for technical support. Just checking data use does not interact with anyone at Verizon, its all automated. I have an old Millenicom UM175 which is still active. When I fire up VZAccess the first window that pops up is "Data Used", I don't request it, Verizon just tells me automatically
IowaMudRider
Montrose, IA

IowaMudRider

Well this is certainly scary, the usps website claims my mifi has been delivered? mail man hasn't even come by the house yet....

i might have to go down there and whoop some a$$
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

wait for the mailman man first ...
DS1192
join:2010-07-16
La Crosse, WI

1 edit

DS1192 to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

I have 3 Verizon accounts. I have not seen anything from Millenicom in writing that says I can't. Just some rambling on a forum saying it can't be done.

"Second: From the Millenicom FAQ page:

"Millenicom does not have an agreement with our upstream carrier to utilize any of their resources other than their national footprint. Please do not attempt to utilize any usage information other than the two methods listed above."

In other words do NOT set up an account directly with Verizon to try and monitor your usage with Verizon's tools. Though there are ways to make this work, you are violating Millenicom's terms and jeopardizing the plans for all of us. Yes, it sucks that we can't get real time usage reports - but that's the deal."

^Quoted From - »www.technomadia.com/2013 ··· ogether/

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Jim_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jim_in_VA
Dexter had a problem with me using the Vz usage monitor. Problem solved.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

huh?

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

I have a problem with someone on a forum telling me what I can and can't do. Like you said there is nothing wrong with using their usage report and is not the same as trying to use Vz customer support.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to DS1192

to DS1192
Dexter, I don't see that sentence in the FAQ's. Where is it in »millenicom.com/faq/ ??
IowaMudRider
Montrose, IA

IowaMudRider

well i did infact get my MIFI today and sitting on my desk with 1 bar of LTE

Thats with 1 bar im impressed