Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Mike

Re: iPad Air theory question

Actually I just looked and it's all horse shit lies smoke and mirrors.

It's not free. It's free*

*you must be a tmobile voice subscriber and get a $10 credit each month.

I cancelled my order. Hope they choke.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
Yeah,....

I'm thinking the extra money would be better spent stepping up to the 32GB WiFi only iPad Air then the WiFi + Cell if that is the case.

If it were free with any T-Mobile account that would be different,....

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

Actually I just looked and it's all horse shit lies smoke and mirrors.

It's not free. It's free*

*you must be a tmobile voice subscriber and get a $10 credit each month.

I cancelled my order. Hope they choke.

It is free. You just need a T-Mobile Prepaid account - now called "Pay In Advance".

My pre-paid account was converted to 200MB Free Starter this morning.

To get $0 down, you need to either pay the $10/month or be post-paid voice sub.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
quote:
It is free
10 seconds later

quote:
you need to either pay the $10/month
Bet you a dollar they get sued.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

2 edits
said by Mike:

quote:
It is free
10 seconds later

quote:
you need to either pay the $10/month
Bet you a dollar they get sued.

The free data plan and the $0/down deal are separate..

edit: It's actually pretty clear (think they re-wrote this) on the FAQ on the bottom of every "tablet $0 down" page:
said by »www.t-mobile.com/landing/free-mo···ata.html :

In order to get the 200 MB of free Starter Data, you need to have an active Mobile Internet account with T-Mobile.

If you are a postpaid customer, you’ll need to have an On Demand data plan at minimum which is $0/mo. if you are a voice customer (after $10 line credit).

If you are a prepaid customer, you’ll need to activate a prepaid account. You do not have to a purchase data pass in order to access your free Starter Data. T-Mobile does not require an annual service contract.

The part that is confusing is in order to get the tablet for $0 down, you need to be a post-paid subscriber. The post-paid vs pre-paid plans are different. Post-paid is $10/month minimum for 200MB. After your financing expires, you can switch to a pre-paid plan at $0/month. You are not forced to stay at $10/month forever.

Basically they're making $10/month off you because you're cheap and decided to buy your tablet on credit instead of paying out-right. Shady, but nothing they're gonna get sued over.

edit 2: Even more proof of it truly being free (if you can read):
»twitter.com/JohnLegere/status/39···53953024
»9to5mac.com/2013/11/01/t-mobile-···e-error/

--

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
so it's not free. you have to pay for something else and this is your benefit.

Free = anyone buys a T-Mobile iPad, then free data forever no strings.

There are more strings with this than a sweater.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

1 edit
said by Mike:

Did you even read what I posted?

Buy T-Mobile iPad for $629 (normal price). Sign up for FREE Pay In Advance Mobile Internet plan. Get free 200MB data. Pretty simple.

If you want to pay nothing for your iPad up front, of course there are strings and monthly fees. Supposedly that $10 plan requirement is a mistake (according to the CEO), but that's still a bit unclear to me.

Edit: they finally updated their pre-paid page. It now lists the completely free 200MB/mo plan:
»prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/free···net-data
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

It still looks like it is. From the other thread

»9to5mac.com/2013/11/01/t-mobile-···e-error/

"Now, T-Mobile CEO John Legere has responded to this mixup by noting that there are “no strings attached.” He calls the charges an “executional mistake” and notes that the situation will be corrected…"

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Thinkdiff
Doesn't this also work for a BYOD iPad? If you BYOD to T-Mobile, do you get free data? After reading the other thread I am more confused than when I started.

It should be a Yes or No question to T-Mobile. Yes if there are really no strings...no if there are.
--
Nocchi rules.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
said by skeechan:

Doesn't this also work for a BYOD iPad? If you BYOD to T-Mobile, do you get free data? After reading the other thread I am more confused than when I started.

Yes.

I'm trying to set this up on my iPad mini (Verizon) now, so I'll let you know how it goes. Half way there - account is activated, but need to get the starter pass added. Supposed to be automatic, but it's taking awhile.
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to skeechan
said by skeechan:

So it seems like they have some issues they need to work out...

Called T-Mobile after waiting a few hours for the data plan to activate. The CSR had no idea what I was talking about - she thought it was crazy they would offer data for free. After talking to her supervisor for a good 5-8 minutes, she came back and said the starter plan has to be added automatically (they don't have the option of manually applying it). Unfortunately due to the new system, that can take up to 3 days at the moment. They gave me enough credit to buy a few day passes while I wait.

But at least that confirms that, yes, you can bring your own device, put a t-mobile prepaid SIM card in it, and activate it with the 200MB plan - all for free.
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to skeechan
said by skeechan:

It should be a Yes or No question to T-Mobile. Yes if there are really no strings...no if there are.

It turned out there was an issue with my old SIM card. I gave up waiting for the system to "automatically" add on the starter plan, and I just happened to have an extra unactivated pre-paid SIM laying around.

Cut it down to nano-SIM size, put it in my Mini and started Safari:

Clicked through a few pages, entered my info and email address to create an account, and 30 seconds later:

Couldn't have been simpler. iPad is online and working great.

Edit: BTW, pre-paid SIM cards are free at t-mobile.com right now. I ordered 3 for my family members' iPads over the weekend.
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
said by Thinkdiff:

BTW, pre-paid SIM cards are free at t-mobile.com right now

Link please

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
Looks like the deal just ended within the last day or so, sorry

»prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/sim-card

They have free or 99-cent SIM deals every few months. Depending on the T-Mobile store, some let you just walk in and take one for free.
--