Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tommy13v
Premium
join:2002-02-15
Niskayuna NY

[Laptop] New laptop for my wife

Its time to replace my wife's aging Macbook Pro and she is adamant that she does not want to use OS X any longer. So with that in mind I am looking for suggestions on a decent laptop.

Her must haves:
Touch Screen 13in and be able to fold into tablet mode
SD card slot so she can copy her pictures from the camera

She really likes the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro but would like other suggestions as well.

Thanks

ccallana
Huh?
Premium,VIP
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA

The Asus Transformer with Baytrail

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tommy13v

Beware of something:

I got a Lenovo laptop last spring with my refund money. They no longer ship with a way to make restore DVDs. In fact, they instruct, on their website and forum, to use the Windows 8 Restore process to make a restore USB thumb drive. It doesn't work, at least for a lot of people who've bought Lenovo laptops. It seems it is a problem for some other brands too, certain models. Lenovo offers no solution.

I suggest, whatever laptop you end up choosing, read the forums for that brand and that model and investigate if this is an issue with your chosen model. In light of the fact that Apple is offering their new OS for free, this is an important caveat.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

ccallana
Huh?
Premium,VIP
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA
reply to tommy13v

Actually, the Transformer only has a 10" screen, sorry

I like the Lenovo except for the keyboard on the bottom in tablet mode. I much prefer the detachable ones.....
--
"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us.... We are far too easily pleased." C.S. Lewis

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to tommy13v

I've looked more at tablet style rather than laptop due to the item already listed and these 2 seemed a good comparison to that.

»h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/The-Next-B···-p/83001

»www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-duo-13···overview

I have not used them so can not offer an opinion.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Jan Janowski

join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
reply to tommy13v

I'm not a Mac person, but I did get to play with a "Pro" version at work, and Cuda Processing is enabled on the latest "Pro" version..... I was QUITE Impressed with that laptop!!!

Cuda Processing is where unused GPU processors are used in conjunction with CPU processors to speed up applications.... (Obviously custom software is needed in applications)...

Again, I was VERY Impressed with what I played with!!! (And I'm not a MAC Guy!)
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle