spc
Search similar:

uniqs

chinni
@verizon.net

chinni

Anon

Netgear R7000

I bought Netgear R7000. I have tested approximate transfer rate to copy files from laptop to Synology NAS. Here is the results

Home laptop to NAS 3 to 4 MB/sec (2.4g)

Office laptop TO NAS 12 to 15 MB /sec (5g)
10 MB/sec (2.4g)
Home laptop connected from LAN to NAS (90 MB/sec)

Do you know what would I expect with this AC router? I bought laptop for home with i7 quad core, 8gb memory. Not sure the network card. It is too slow to use home laptop for data transfer.

Do you have any suggestions on debugging or improving speed particularly with home laptop? I spent more than 90 minutes with Negear support without any help. I am surprised the with questions I was asked and they do not even make sense for the problem I am seeing.

Appreciate any suggestions

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

2 edits

mozerd

MVM

The R7000 is a 3 stream wireless device that also supports Beamforming + on the 5 GHz frequency band .... so if you want to see a dramatic performance improvement on your Laptop ---- YOUR laptop must also have a wireless client that can match the capability of the R7000. Currently the Netgear A6200 USB Network Adapter comes closets in matching the R7000 capabilities and that is how you'll get better performance.

Since you did not state how your NAS is connected to your network I cannot make any comment on whether you may have a bottleneck there. Assuming that your NAS is connected directly to the R7000 LAN port via a Category 5e Ethernet cable your Synology should not be the problem.

Transfer rate using the A6200 on the 5GHz band should be between 80 - 120 Mbps inside of 25 feet from the R7000. Be aware that being to close to the R7000 [from a wireless perspective] is not good --- 10 feet minimum. And if you are closer than 10 feet then use a Ethernet cable to connect to the R7000.

The Other CRITICAL factor is how you've positioned the R7000 ... best rule to follow is as HIGH as possible and as CENTRAL as Possible

chinni
@verizon.net

chinni

Anon

Thanks for the reply. I will check for any deals on A6200. I never knew that WIFI can be bad if laptop is too close.

Right now R7000 is connected to Netgear 8 port (gs 108 I think) switch and one of the 8 port is connected to NAS. Two of the ports on R7000 are going to home theater and down stairs and one other is connected to switch and still have one port left on r7000 itself. I can try connecting NAS to R7000 itself to see the difference.

Since my office laptop gave reasonable speed of 14MB/sec, I guess it could be problem with my personal laptop card. Less than 4MB/sec is too low.

Is there any settings that can be tweaked in netgear router or latop ? Negear support team tried the following

2.4 channel from auto to 1
Fragmentation Length (256-2346): Changed from 2346 to 2306
CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347): Changed from 2347 to 2306
Preamble Mode : Long preamble (keep the value)
Nothing worked. I guess there are not any other settings to try. Just want to confirm before buying
A6200

Support team also wanted to enable jumbo frame in synology. I don't have clue on how to set or it really makes difference. When I tested speed test I got 50Mbits/sec. This is more than 6MB/sec. Not sure why local speed is less than this (4MB/sec)
chinni

chinni

Anon

I have centrino wireless N 1030 card