spc
Search similar:

uniqs
drivethruj
join:2010-06-20
Jacksonville, IL

drivethruj

[IL] Packet loss

I have been having packet loss for 7 months or so, it has gotten better but any packet loss still ruins my online gaming experience for games like league of legends. When I receive the loss I can't move in game for 3-5 seconds at a time and it's always random. It's 1% or so loss over a long period of time pinging it but if I do say 80 packets while in game sometime's it's at 15% loss. Mediacom has told me they have tried to fix it but basically have given up trying to locate the problem since they said 1% isn't a big deal. I love my speeds but any loss wrecks my gaming, I can't stream my games live on twitch.tv because when I get loss it drops my connection to my streaming program. Is their anything I can do? Anything I can check on my end? I am directly connected to my modem it's a new surfboard docsis 3.0.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hello drivethruj,

I do see that the team over on the Mediacom Forums has been working with you and escalated this issue. Over the course of the escalation technicians came to your residence and maintenance crews worked in your area. All of the signal issues that were previously shown have been cleared up and many ping tests were performed from the headend to the modem which resulted in less than 1% packet loss each time.
drivethruj
join:2010-06-20
Jacksonville, IL

drivethruj

Yes it has gotten better but is their any way to eliminate packet loss completely? Like I said overall it's decent internet but when you're in a game that requires fast movement and reaction times it makes my internet useless when it drops packets.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Trying to track down, say 6 packets out of 1000 is quite hard to do. You mention that this is normally during gameplay and streaming that you notice this. I'm not sure if it's possible and wouldn't be a permanent solution but does your streaming site offer to transmit over UDP instead of TCP/IP. When using UDP it won't try to retransmit lost packets. So during the points you're having an issue you might notice a bit of choppiness but overall the stream shouldn't drop.