Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to Hall

to Hall

Re: The guy that how holds the record for driving across the US

said by Hall:

said by fartness:

I'm surprised that the average speed wasn't higher.

I don't think you grasp how "average" works. To maintain 100mph across the entire country, on public roads, is amazing ! Did you look at the GPS units ? One showed the max speed they did (150mph, as I recall). Granted, that could have been for (1) second.

I do. If he was driving faster, the average would be faster. Seems like they weren't driving at their fullest potential the whole time.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

Hall

MVM

Go drive 98mph down the interstate for 3 minutes and see how it goes. Now realize they did that, on average, across the entire country.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

4 edits

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by Hall:

Go drive 98mph down the interstate for 3 minutes and see how it goes. Now realize they did that, on average, across the entire country.

I done 92-95 mph for 77miles Got home in 49mins

Plus they could get him for illegal street racing which qualifies for him to lose his Driver License and have the car crushed into a cube.

following are some of the penalties you can face if you street race:
Be arrested and have your vehicle impounded for 30 days.
Be imprisoned for up to three months if convicted of street racing, or aiding or abetting a street race.
Be fined for up to $1,000.
Have your driver license revoked.
Have your vehicle's insurance canceled or premiums dramatically increased.
Have equipment violations issued.

no need to prove who was driving . being in the car is aiding or abetting a street race.
said by Hall:

You can assume anything you want. The authorities won't though... Other than NY or CA, there's no proof of what states he went in.

traffic cameras can be reviewed for it

why didn't the guy use cruse control and you NEVER have to press the gas. you only have to do the steering /braking.

he could have had a higher average speed and lower time
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to Hall

to Hall
said by Hall:

98 isn't that bad unless you're driving a beater. Most new cars you can barely tell you're doing 100, especially if it's 200 to 300 hp. This isn't the 1980's and 1990's anymore where you'd feel like you're going to die if you go above 80mph. 10 years ago I did a 4 hour trip in 2.5 hours with no countermeasures like I have today. I'd do it again if I felt like it.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 recommendation

CylonRed

MVM

said by fartness:

said by Hall:

98 isn't that bad unless you're driving a beater. Most new cars you can barely tell you're doing 100, especially if it's 200 to 300 hp. This isn't the 1980's and 1990's anymore where you'd feel like you're going to die if you go above 80mph. 10 years ago I did a 4 hour trip in 2.5 hours with no countermeasures like I have today. I'd do it again if I felt like it.

You still are not grasping the point.

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
said by Hall:

I agree. besides giving yourself whiplash from looking side to side for cops, this is no easy task..

A 98 average is just insane, think of all the exit/entrance ramps where he had to slow down in addition to getting gas, areas where cops were detected and were forced to slow down.

I'm curious how he came about choosing the time of year, and the day of the week to pull this off. I bet weather was a factor too.

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are

join:2001-02-21
Atlanta, GA

Gomez to fartness

to fartness
said by fartness:

said by Hall:

it's not about the capability of the car, it's about the the environment one has to deal with for a sustained amount of time..

It's simply not a matter of pushing the pedal hard and going balls out.. Those are the ones that fail fast. There is a huge level of risk tolerance that has to be constantly evaluated - every turn, every hill gives a new risk, even every car passed.

If it where just a matter of going fast, a bunch of GTRs would have claimed the record easily since Roy set it, but, seems they didn't.

There's more to it then the just the car, and the right pedal.

-G

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall to CylonRed

MVM

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Thank you. I made sure to include "down the interstate" - thinking that would mean other cars, police, etc. I'm not referring to a racetrack with no other cars.

I've driven 90-100 on the interstate and I'm "scared". Not scared of the speed, traffic, etc, it's like natedj says, you're looking for cops more than anything. I've never been brave enough to do it for more than 60 seconds too.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

said by Hall:

said by CylonRed:

Thank you. I made sure to include "down the interstate" - thinking that would mean other cars, police, etc. I'm not referring to a racetrack with no other cars.

I've driven 90-100 on the interstate and I'm "scared". Not scared of the speed, traffic, etc, it's like natedj says, you're looking for cops more than anything. I've never been brave enough to do it for more than 60 seconds too.

Try it with countermeasures and your thoughts will change about being "scared".

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

I've used a laser gun (a local highway patrol post was having an "open house") and although I've never had a laser detector, I'm skeptical as to how effective they are. A radar gun has a lot of "scatter", so radar detectors work fine. I used to own them and know from experience.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

I have a laser interceptor in addition to my Valentine one and it works great.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

How do you know ?
theboz1419
join:2003-02-12
Puyallup, WA

3 recommendations

theboz1419 to fartness

to fartness
said by fartness:

LOL, its a like a placebo. Think about it for a sec. what is a laser. Its a beam of photons, that is no bigger then a pencil at the police car and no bigger then a dinner plate at the vehicle that might be speeding.

Now, If I had used lasers when I used to look for speeders, I would have known to get a good result from a car coming towards me or away from me I would aim the laser for a flat spot on the vehicle, like for instance the license plate. your laser detector is not going to know about what's being reflected off your license plate. The beam does not scatter like Radar.

Even RADAR detectors are a waste of money in the sense they will not protect you from getting a ticket. All modern Radar guns have what is called "standby" or "hold". The gun is on but not transmitting and when the cop see a vehicle that he thinks is speeding, he then turns on the gun gets a short burst of radar at the vehicle in question. you may get a beep on your detector but by then its to late, he has your speed.

The best way to avoid a ticket

Don't drive out and beyond the flow of traffic, follow someone at a distance.

Find a vehicle much bigger then yours that is driving fast and stay near them. I like Semi trucks, if you can find one that is driving fast. The reason being, bigger objects absorb more Radar.

As for beating a laser speed gun. Not much can help you there. When I was in training, the trainer told use that the hardest cars to get a good speed detect are cars that are low to the ground and have no right angles to ground. A corvette would be a good example. As the only flat surface to get a good reflection of the laser on a corvette would be the license plate.

By the way, a cop can still write you a speeding ticket without a getting a speed on either radar or laser guns. They can use a visual time calculation to determine a speed, luckily most would be a warning and not a fine, but still legal to do

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

They still sell laser detectors though!

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

1 edit

Anonymous_ to theboz1419

Premium Member

to theboz1419
said by theboz1419:

said by fartness:

LOL, its a like a placebo. Think about it for a sec. what is a laser. Its a beam of photons, that is no bigger then a pencil at the police car and no bigger then a dinner plate at the vehicle that might be speeding.

Best idea is to use my new invention with the new state of the art Car recognition technology
I call it police car detector.

they try to hide but fail ]

biggest indicator that someone is speeding is high engine revs and it shows you have intentions to speed...

I keep my engine revs normal about 2000 to 2500 rpm. noise attracts attention.
No noise, no attention.

few weeks ago I passed a CHP going about 75-80mph in a 55mph zone

about a year ago a cop passed me up while I was going about 95mph I was going with the flow of traffic.
he was out of his jurisdiction though. he was going at lest 115-120mph or so
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to theboz1419

to theboz1419
I suggest reading up on the Laser Interceptor product. It is real and it works. It is a laser jammer. And it's legal too in most states. That is also what the guys in the article used.

Also in the past 10 years of using a radar detector, I have been hit with "instant on" only twice and did not get stopped either time.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Anonymous_

MVM

to Anonymous_
quote:
biggest indicator that someone is speeding is high engine revs and it shows you have intentions to speed...
Ummm - no. Tons of reasons revs can be high that do not involve speeding. I drive the highway every day - unless a car has one of the tin can mufflers - no way to remotely tell the rpms of a car engine.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

1 edit

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

quote:
Ummm - no. Tons of reasons revs can be high that do not involve speeding. I drive the highway every day - unless a car has one of the tin can mufflers - no way to remotely tell the rpms of a car engine.

most enigines make a lot of noise over 3,000 rpm

my car has more of muscle car sound rather then fart can sound

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

My 2001 bmw does not nor if it could be heard mean I am speeding or want to speed.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall to Anonymous_

MVM

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

I think you're making things up... Anytime I've passed a cop at a rate that I expect to get pulled over, I know EXACTLY what speed I was going, not a 5mph range.

As for engine revs or the noise, what thought did you put in that ? Go near a highway and listen. You won't hear engine noise - all you'll hear is TIRE NOISE. Hell, our Honda Odyssey can go 90mph at 2500-3000 rpms. Take a Corvette, M-B, or many other cars and they're probably ~2000 rpms at 100 mph.

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj

Premium Member

said by Hall:

said by Anonymous_:

I think you're making things up... Anytime I've passed a cop at a rate that I expect to get pulled over, I know EXACTLY what speed I was going, not a 5mph range.

As for engine revs or the noise, what thought did you put in that ? Go near a highway and listen. You won't hear engine noise - all you'll hear is TIRE NOISE. Hell, our Honda Odyssey can go 90mph at 2500-3000 rpms. Take a Corvette, M-B, or many other cars and they're probably ~2000 rpms at 100 mph.

+1
Road/tire noise ...yeah
Exhaust noise ... yeah
Engine noise ... uhmm, not to the point where you can tell RPMs, unless someone is in low gear

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

3 edits

1 recommendation

Anonymous_ to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

My 2001 bmw does not nor if it could be heard mean I am speeding or want to speed.

speed laws are just to make money $$$$

Proven fact that going FASTER causes less crashes under ideal conditions

i.e Weather is not a factor.

only time I slow down is when weather is a factor.

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are

Atlanta, GA

Gomez to Hall

to Hall
said by Hall:

said by Anonymous_:

concur.

My E63 makes a hell of a noise when floored, if you are behind me and listening; no so much if I'm coming at you.. Once at cruising speed, even if that's 90, it's purring..

-G

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_ to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
said by Hall:

said by Anonymous_:

the CHP was pulled over
doing something:

A. jacking off
B. using radar/laser
C. sleeping

there was no way for him to pull me over as there was 7-8 other car behind me going the same speed.
He can;t pull us all over

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Anonymous_

MVM

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

said by CylonRed:

Nothing of what you posted has one iota to do with the post you quoted...

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

said by CylonRed:

I am starting to smell something..... BS.....

As far as RPM noise is concerned, gear ratios in rear ends and trannies can give lots of top end speed without making the engine rev high. As far as police car recognition system you thought of, what about the guys standing in the parking lots and on street overpasses, etc. calling out to their buddies your speed waiting for you down the road? Different states have different laws on how they can monitor your speed.
As far as going faster causing less crashes in ideal conditions, you need to get some facts (from more than one creditable source) to back your claim up.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall to Anonymous_

MVM

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

there was no way for him to pull me over as there was 7-8 other car behind me going the same speed.
He can;t pull us all over

No, but he can pick any one of you and pull that person over. The only time someone bitches that "everyone else was going the same speed!" is when YOU are the person pulled over.

Anyway, I'm done with this unintelligent tangent of the topic at hand....

Back to the original topic, I looked for more information and they're all pretty much 90% re-hashes of the same details. Nothing new or interesting so far. Anyone else seen anything ?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

1 edit

Anonymous_ to Beezel

Premium Member

to Beezel
»www.nhtsa.gov/people/inj ··· uson.pdf

page 4

Low-speed drivers were more likely to be involved in
crashes than relatively high speed drivers.

please no BS about train speed limits is not the same since cars are not on tracks.

I had many close calls most of them were in parking lots, seems most people don't look while backing up.
I think it's because they think it's not their fault if our cars come into contact. But it's their fault if they back into me.
Another time was someone was making a left turn I was going about 55-mph(which is the speed limit for the street) and it's fine to me since there was road conditions. i.e pot holes and bumpy pavement .Any ways SPEEDING UP prevented a crash (floored it) since he was turning in front of me. Other wise if I had slowed down he would have hit somewhere in-between the rear driver side door and the bumper.

His car was in the fast lane (the fast lane on my side)while I was passing by in the slow lane (his car was moving making the left turn).

There was no way he could have said he did not see me since I have factory High beam-DRL's (DRL is "low power" for the high beams) it makes the car visible with out blinding anyone.

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are

Atlanta, GA

Gomez to Hall

to Hall
said by Hall:

Back to the original topic, I looked for more information and they're all pretty much 90% re-hashes of the same details. Nothing new or interesting so far. Anyone else seen anything ?

not much...

Speculation..

He's not going to release the actual data until the legal issues are expired... It's physical evidence, and he knows it; he talked to Roy in the planning stages.

The route can't vary significantly from the recorded routes of the past records, else it be deemed invalid by the the 'community' that finds interest in this..

I'm of the opinion that the goal is point A to point B and the route doesn't matter as long as wheels are on pavement/ground every mile. That opinion is not shared by all.

-G

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

1 edit

Hall

MVM

Only a fool would take a much different, and most certainly LONGER, route.

Looking at two different route options from Google, both have you on toll roads at one point or another. I'm curious how they got around those...