how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

[NCAA-F] Why does Florida have multiple players with the same number?

»www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.···y=number

I noticed their quarterback and a linebacker both wear #3. So I looked at the roster. Why do they have so many players wearing the same number? It's very confusing and I don't understand how it's not illegal.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I didn't think they could do that. In the pros everyone has to wear a jersey a number within the range of their position (LB are supposed to 50's) unless they play a position on both O and D. I know college is wide-open (we have a Syracuse LB #11) but I've never heard of multiple players with the same number. My only guess would be the one or two other that wear that number might be on a taxi squad so it doesn't matter.
--
Our incoming frosh PG Tyler Ennis was named to the Bob Cousy watch list for best PG in the nation preseason.

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB

It was weird to watch. The starting QB and starting LB with the same number.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Coastie
reply to shaner

Why do 120,000 people sit through a game with such a lopsided score? Maybe it was numbers on the jerseys that confused the Hurricanes. To think this was being hyped as GOTW.
--
When I die I want to go peacefully, in my sleep like my grandfather did, not screaming and scared like the other three people in his car!

Addison12

join:2013-10-14
united kingd
reply to shaner

I follow virtually all sports from all over the world and this is something that I have never heard in the past where two team members are using the same number on their shirts, I guess one of these persons lost his shirt and he had to put on his team-mate jersey for a match.

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB

Nope. These guys are assigned the same number .

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to shaner

Can anybody here count?

»www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.php

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

Three numbers actually have THREE Players with that same number and there are 26 numbers that have two players assigned to it. Odd.

33 2
21 2
7 2
55 2
95 2
57 2
11 2
87 2
15 2
81 2
19 2
17 2
1 2
30 2
25 2
40 2
14 2
24 2
79 2
46 2
13 2
6 2
3 2
8 2
34 2
5 2
22 3
9 3
4 3

I guess it's not that uncommon, though. I see the same thing on other teams as well. I would have thought one per side of the ball, but the three numbers shared by three players on the Florida roster is kind of odd.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to shaner

There are over 100 players on the roster, people. DUH! About 120. If some numbers have been retired and/or large and small numbers don't sync up with their positions.

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to shaner

*insert Florida education joke here*

towerdave

join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL
reply to shaner

In college, you can have multiple players with the same number as long as they aren't on the field at the same time, so usually there is one offensive player and one defensive player that share a number.

TD

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH
reply to drslash

said by drslash:

There are over 100 players on the roster, people. DUH! About 120. If some numbers have been retired and/or large and small numbers don't sync up with their positions.

Yep. Unlike the NFL where there's a 46 man roster and certain number ranges can only go to certain positions, college has no such restrictions due to insane roster sizes. There's really no reason for 100+ players on the football roster, but it brings in big bucks, so no one cares.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

anonome

@verizon.net
reply to drslash

Time to switch to hexadecimal?