dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
This is a sub-selection from Unlimited broadband to go vanishes nov 1?

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to fred_873483

to fred_873483

Re: Unlimited broadband to go vanishes nov 1?

said by fred_873483 :

but when i log into my account page it says autobilling is not enabled and the option to select the $35 plan isn't there.

Look on the left hand side and there should be a link that says "restart plan"... just click that when you want to start it up.

It will not be listed in the list of available plans, and if you select a new plan you will never get it back.

If you do let the service expire remember to activate the old plan (by clicking "restart plan") at least once every year or the account will expire and you will loose access to the plan.

fred_6576896
@spcsdns.net

fred_6576896

Anon

said by dib22:

said by fred_873483 :

but when i log into my account page it says autobilling is not enabled and the option to select the $35 plan isn't there.

Look on the left hand side and there should be a link that says "restart plan"... just click that when you want to start it up.

It will not be listed in the list of available plans, and if you select a new plan you will never get it back.

If you do let the service expire remember to activate the old plan (by clicking "restart plan") at least once every year or the account will expire and you will loose access to the plan.

thanks dib, good info.

if you can let them be dormant for 11 months and then still reactivate with the original terms, i wish i had signed up for a few more of the $35 plans.

in your experience they do throttle to 2 mbps once you go over the 10 gb on wimax?

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by fred_6576896 :

in your experience they do throttle to 2 mbps once you go over the 10 gb on wimax?

That's the claim and what most comments say.

I personally have my accounts on the old unlimited for $40 plans, and they don't include wimax (even when the device supports it), so I couldn't tell ya from personal experience, sorry.

fred_7598394
@spcsdns.net

fred_7598394

Anon

thx.

DrjayDrjay
@12.226.211.x

DrjayDrjay to fred_6576896

Anon

to fred_6576896

Click for full size
GRANDFATHERED $35/mo UNLIMITED PLAN STILL WORKS!

FYI, to update for everyone. You will DEFINITELY be grandfathered in under the unlimited plans. (See attached screenshot of my account - still says "unlimited".) I've had the $35/mo unlimited plan for a few months and use about 65gb/month since I stream all day at work & all evening at home on 4G network. (People like I are the reason for their rescinding the unlimited offers, soz :-( I've always left the "auto-renewal option" switched on just in case, since I never wanna lose this plan.

Anyway, my plan just renewed yesterday & apparently, the grandfathered service itself will last at least till October 2014 (I didn't even realise they'd cut the unlimited service till today). Yeah! I'm SOOOO glad I found the plan when I did cuz I'd be paying about $900/month with any other plan from any company given the amount of streaming I do. (The cheapest plan I found with freedompop would cost me about $.007/gb x 65gb = $455/mo !)

Also, in reply to earlier queries, your speeds ARE "throttled" past the 10gb cutoff, to about 250kbps. HOWEVER, for regular internet browsing in 4G, you won't notice the difference. For Netflix streaming, it streams exactly the same, without any stops mid-viewing, though it will take a bit longer every time it needs to buffer (for example, when initially loading or fast-forwarding, etc.). Youtube must require higher & more constant speeds though, because I DO have streaming lags and buffering issues when using Youtube once I've surpassed the 10gb threshold and I try to limit the shows I watch to about 20 minutes to avoid a buffering pause which can last for several minutes. It is a MINOR inconvenience compared to what I get in return for 12-15 hours/day streaming. However, the Youtube issues at work may also be due to the location/signal, which is not as good as my service at home.

I live in the city centre in the northeast, just as fast as any wired DSL internet service! In the peripheral outskirts of the city where I work, the service is consistent at the office (interior cubicle of thick concrete building about 15 metres to nearest window) but spotty when I'm on the train (metro). I prefer to avoid 3G and have it switched off most of the time, so I notice the spotty service. If I were to leave 3G on (doesn't always switch back to 4G as soon as it beomes available), I'd probably have consistent 3G service, which is usually insufficient for Youtube, maybe ok for Netflix.

For $35/month for unlimited 4G use (I use about 65gb if 4G and almost no 3G/month) and the ability to hook up my ipod, laptop, phone & tablet to this one tiny little portable modem, I do find myself as elated as a pig in shite for this find : - ) My 3 flatmates share internet service & pay more than I do to share, whereas I have superb unlimited service.

I also have a grandfathered $25/mo VM mobile phone plan, so ALL my telephony costs amount to a mere $60/mo - I have portable unlimited SECURED (better than free hotspots or mobile phones) 4G internet everywhere I go (home/work AND travel - at hotels, beaches, etc.) for all devices - laptop, ipod, tablet, smartphone + a friend's device, unlimited SMS, 300 mins talk, unlimited 4G/3G for my Android (consumes less battery than wifi). All for $60 NET. (Most people I know pay as much for just one or 2 of the aforementioned features, just being. Yep, might as well be waeing a "Kick me" sign...or, rather "F*$K me".)

I bought an extra Overdrive Pro battery on Amazon for $10, so I even have enough juice to get through an entire day on the road or at the beach for all my devices. I ALWAYS leave it plugged in when indoors, however, and have never experienced overheating, unexpected shutdowns or similar. As with ALL internet service, you will have to restart it on rare occasion (max 1x/1-2 months). My mate has $150/month internet service and it has issues every week, having to turn it off and on again, wait an hour, etc., to fix it.) VM is da best and even their customer service is surprisingly not too rubbish!!! Notin' but luv 4 ya VMbaby ; )

fred_5465456
@spcsdns.net

fred_5465456

Anon

@ DrJayDrJay

thanks for good info.

too bad they throttle back to 256k instead of the 2 mbps that i thought i saw mentioned. i wish i had bought two of these plans though.

also, in your pic there where its says "current plan - autorenewal" - mine doesn't say autorenewal yet even though i've asked them twice and provided a CC. will see what happens.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by fred_5465456 :

too bad they throttle back to 256k instead of the 2 mbps that i thought i saw mentioned. i wish i had bought two of these plans though.

What speeds are you actually getting throttled to?

fred_5874958
@spcsdns.net

fred_5874958

Anon

said by dib22:

said by fred_5465456 :

What speeds are you actually getting throttled to?

i'm only at 8 gb so far on the wimax side. the signal is pretty poor lately even if i have line of sight - for some reason though my old sierra 250u still shows at least 2 bars no matter where i'm at (even without LOS) so i wonder if its just the VM modem or maybe some of the towers aren't allowed for VM subscribers. fwiw, 3G signal is excellent with the VM modem.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by fred_5874958 :

the signal is pretty poor lately even if i have line of sight -

Which device do you have? If its a stick try using a USB extension cable (4 inches should work) and re-position it... I have heard of wimax and wifi harmonics happening when they are close.... if it is an overdrive try reorienting it in different positions.

Once you hit 10GB please report back your throttle speed!

fred_9556785
@spcsdns.net

fred_9556785

Anon

thanks dib

i have the Franklin u600 modem - i tried 3 different of those usb extension cables including one fancy one that even had a power surge suppresor on it and i still couldn't get a signal anyway. if i go up on the other side of this levee (about 40-50 ft earthen type) and get what must be line of sight then attach the sierra 250 i can get a signal of -64, then i stay right there and switch to the franklin u600 i get zero signal so there must be some lower priority for VM or maybe they banned my device on 4G already? about a week ago on that side of the levee for one night i got a signal of about -68 with the VM modem and i was hitting speeds of almost 10 mbps and i downloaded about 3 gb's of content in a few hours. next night same thing iirc but before then and since then i have really have a problem getting a signal at all. i had planned on getting a nice antenna, maybe even an $80 yagi that i see advertised for wimax on ebay but maybe that's not the problem.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

I do know that the internal antennas on sierras and franklins perform different on evdo so I suspect they do on wimax as well.

The bad part here is the only other device you could try is the overdrive pro (also a sierra)... keep an eye out during black friday I bet they drop them to 19.99 or lower again... that will give you something to try.

The bad side of the overdrive is that it doesn't really present itself as a 'modem' but another networked device... might make it not work in your router setup.

fred_5876756
@spcsdns.net

fred_5876756

Anon

it has to be something with the towers or maybe they blacklisted my device already for some reason. i'm right near a large city so i'll try some different locations today.

fred_8679808
@spcsdns.net

fred_8679808 to dib22

Anon

to dib22
said by dib22:

I do know that the internal antennas on sierras and franklins perform different on evdo so I suspect they do on wimax as well.

The bad part here is the only other device you could try is the overdrive pro (also a sierra)... keep an eye out during black friday I bet they drop them to 19.99 or lower again... that will give you something to try.

The bad side of the overdrive is that it doesn't really present itself as a 'modem' but another networked device... might make it not work in your router setup.

yeah, you were right dib, its just signal strength - i cant believe it varies that much from day to day or week to week but apparently it does in this fringe area. i went about a mile south and got a decent signal, about -77 or so. Then i got a cable to attach the modem to one of the Millenicom antennas that was $50 and it makes about a 10 to 15 db difference so i can get about -85 to -88 where i'm usually at, so i can get decent speeds of up to 1 to 2 mbps or so. good news is i went over the cap and they definitely arent throttling to 256 kbps. i dont have good enough signal to see if they're throttling to 2 mbps but im going to buy what is advertised as a "NLOS" wimax antenna off ebay and see if that helps. i can't believe there is such a difference in reception between the 250u and this modem.

fred_6785094
@spcsdns.net

fred_6785094

Anon

eh, looks like i spoke too soon again. after using the setup with the millenicom antenna all day yesterday with only a few drops and signal consistently in -85 to -88 range for prob 12 hours or more, i wake up today and no signal at all.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to fred_8679808

to fred_8679808
said by fred_8679808 :

good news is i went over the cap and they definitely arent throttling to 256 kbps.

That is good info.
said by fred_8679808 :

i can't believe there is such a difference in reception between the 250u and this modem.

You would be amazed how varied signal can be from mfg to mfg... and even device to device.
dib22

dib22 to fred_6785094

to fred_6785094
said by fred_6785094 :

eh, looks like i spoke too soon again. after using the setup with the millenicom antenna all day yesterday with only a few drops and signal consistently in -85 to -88 range for prob 12 hours or more, i wake up today and no signal at all.

Hmm guess wimax breaths like cdma does I never thought it did, but never having played around with it much I had no first hand experience.

Hang in there!

fred_7685943
@spcsdns.net

fred_7685943

Anon

said by dib22:

said by fred_6785094 :

Hmm guess wimax breaths like cdma does I never thought it did, but never having played around with it much I had no first hand experience.

Hang in there!

i'm in a fringe coverage area. prob have no business even trying to get reception but somehow that Sierra 250u got the job done so there must be antenna that will work.
This is a sub-selection from Unlimited broadband to go vanishes nov 1?