how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sundrop74

join:2012-01-25

1 edit

Problems with 4G Mifi 4620L Device

I just upgraded my account to 4G and received the 4620L on Saturday. I am already seeing issues with pages not loading completely, missing images, or pages not being found at all. While my download speeds are quite good and the signal is strong, it seems to be having issues keeping a constant connection. I am able to log into the settings on the device, but I am not sure if there is anything I should change.

What should I do at this point? Is it worth sending it back for a replacement, or should I go with a different device altogether? I see that some are having better luck with the UML290, and since I already have a Cradlepoint MBR900, I am wondering if that might be a better option.

sundrop74

Can't complain about the speed, but wish the connection was more stable.

krenn

join:2006-08-23
Somerset, PA
kudos:1
reply to sundrop74

I bought a 4620 about 2 years ago from Millenicom. It worked great for about 4 months. After that it would constantly go into dormant mode and would not respond if set to 4G without a reboot. If set to 3G only it worked perfectly. Ended buying a UML290 and an MBR95 and it's worked flawlessly ever since. Some of these hot spots seem buggy as hell

hispeed

@myvzw.com

Use open dns, seems verizon dns has problems

IowaMudRider

join:2013-09-12
Montrose, IA

Yeah i was about to suggest it is a DNS problem. i know my sprint u770 absolutely refused to connect to wikipedia, or some other wiki sites at all, until i changed to open dns

LumbermanSVO

@myvzw.com

If you read my thread "Still slow speeds..." you'll find that some people found heat to be a problem too. I switched to the Pantech/Cradlepoint setup and it is now the most reliable mobile internet setup I've had.

mjdaniel

@myvzw.com

+1

sundrop74

reply to LumbermanSVO

Will Millenicom replace my current device with the Pantech?

winger94

join:2008-04-15
North Freedom, WI
reply to sundrop74

No chance. Ebay, I paid $13 with shipping for mine. It came with the larger sim already inserted, but it is not the same size as the one in the 4620. But if you have a bit of time, an old credit card, a sharp exacto knife, and a piece of shipping tape, you can make an adapter to allow the small sim to fit into the Pantech. Works like a charm.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..
reply to sundrop74

try this with the hotspot: remove the check from iPV6 under Network>LAN. Also, change the power off to Never under Advanced>Settings. From the same menu check Enable logs to get a log of what is happening.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

sundrop74

Thanks, Jim! I made the changes and will post an update in a few days.

winger94

North Freedom, WI
reply to sundrop74

Honestly, I've tried all of those tips. None work. The hotspot is basically garbage. Even the replacement one did the same thing. The Pantech is much better at keeping me surfing. Hardly ever times out in the middle of a page download. Maybe once a night now instead of a few dozen an hour after it has been used for a while. With the hotspot, when I got home from work it would be the best surfing for the first 20 minutes or so. Then page loading errors, the need to click on links 2-3 times before it would take.

sundrop74

Yeah. That's what mine is doing, even with the changes suggested above. I would like to change to the UML290, but I'm a bit leery of altering my SIM with an exacto knife.

sundrop74

reply to sundrop74

If I decide to go with the UML290, can anyone confirm whether it will work with the Cradlepoint MBR900 that I already have? Also, what are my options if I mess up the SIM card trying to alter it to fit the UML290? Will Millenicom charge me for another one?

winger94

North Freedom, WI
reply to sundrop74

You actually don't do anything to the sim from the 4620. You can google how to adapt the mini sim from the 4620 to work in place of the much larger sim in the Pantech. It really does work. Or you can try to buy the adapter. Mine was much cheaper, took literally 30 minutes to cut it out. Worked first try...

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
reply to sundrop74

The MBR900 does not support the UML290. If you don't want to follow winger94's procedure you can buy a sim adapter off Amazon for a few bucks
--

sundrop74

I have seen several sites where people say the UML290 works with a Cradlepoint MBR900 if you are running the latest firmware on both devices. I hope so. I have ordered a UML290 and a sim adapter, so we'll see how things go!

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA

2 edits

actually the support page says the 900 now supports the 290 ... you're good to go

roadtrip

join:2013-11-08
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to sundrop74

said by sundrop74:

I just upgraded my account to 4G and received the 4620L on Saturday. I am already seeing issues with pages not loading completely, missing images, or pages not being found at all. While my download speeds are quite good and the signal is strong, it seems to be having issues keeping a constant connection.

Are you still experiencing the problem? Try shutting the 4620L down, unplugging the charger if used, then pulling the battery for a few seconds. Put it back together and start it up. I'm troubleshooting the same problem which tends to show up more in the evening (?) and this seems to help. Let me know how it goes.

sundrop74

Yes. I have tried changing settings on the hotspot, unplugging it, and pulling the battery, but nothing seems to help long-term.

vobguy
A fool with a tool is still a fool
Premium
join:2003-01-21
Mineral, VA

I thought turning off ipv6 helped, but then it actually caused worse DNS resolution issues on my tablet devices. So I put it back. Still this past weekend was pretty bad even after I restored the ipv6, with a lot of timeouts, and this is with 2 bars.
Apparently there is a bug that Novatel has yet to fix where the system has actually disconnected but thinks it is still fine. Since it has been there at least 8 months, maybe there will be a firmware upgrade to address it sometime soon...
--
A happy customer of Millenicom.com - so far.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems. I got mine 10/23 and have not had the first problem with it. Love it.

IowaMudRider

join:2013-09-12
Montrose, IA
reply to vobguy

if its disconnecting try forcing it to connect a particular technology like LTE ....

vobguy
Premium
Mineral, VA

Oh yeah definitely did that a while back.
Unfortunately, maybe because it is on a different frequency or something, but when ours goes off 4g LTE, it goes all the way down to 1XRTT , skipping 3G entirely 90% of the time.
--

vobguy
Premium
Mineral, VA
reply to Jack_in_VA

I've had mine since December of '12, and problems seem to come and go, but more so lately it seems. Maybe I am just noticing it more because I can't switch over to my Sprint connection , with it being gone and all..
--

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA

the SINR has a lot to do with the disconnects. If you have a great RSSI but a poor SINR ... say less than -8 there will be problems
--

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

Is that the same as CINR? Right now the CINR for my Sprint LTE is -19 and usually stays in that vicinity. Is that low enough to explain my unstable and very slow download speeds?

sundrop74

reply to sundrop74

I got my UML290 and Cradlepoint MBR900 router going last night. So far, so good. The speeds are just a good through this as through the 4620L, but I have not seen any of the problems I was having before.

I'm really glad I went this route, since the UML290 was only $16 on eBay and I already had the Cradlepoint router. Thanks to everyone for their help!

gdunn2

join:2011-02-19
Lind, WA
reply to sundrop74

This is the results I am now seeing with the sim card in the Pantech USB stick and a MBR 95 router. The outside antenna is not connected for this test. I am awaiting the new pigtail for the antenna cable. Pages now fully load and the connection is solid. I am using the Google DNS servers via the setting in the router.

Gary Dunn

Ron_in_Va

join:2013-05-10
North, VA
reply to Jim_in_VA

I changed over to a VML290 modem and a MB1000 because of the disconnects and having web pages fail to open fully. My SINR varies between 1 & 12 changing about every 5 sec. my signal dbm is -65 to -69. Do u think the SINR will be a problem.