Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

murky
Premium
join:2000-09-12
Eton, ON

Upgrade Webmail

This email that I received strikes me as phishy ? I don't use Shaw webmail and shouldn't have a profile.

Shaw.ca
7:23 PM (18 hours ago)
to
Dear Shaw Member,
As an Shaw member, You need to Verify your Web mail profile.
Click Here
"Click" was hypertext.
Thanks

fan13027

join:2008-10-26
Winnipeg, MB
Reviews:
·Shaw

I don't use Shaw Webmail either, but I'm pretty sure I have a profile. As far as I know your standard credentials used to access your POP e-mail account will also work to get you logged in to their webmail.

That being said, almost every e-mail received by people asking to "verify" any sort of account info or "profile" is almost guaranteed to be a phishing attempt. If you hover your mouse over the hypertext CLICK link, can you see the full URL displayed? If so, perhaps you can post it here for others to comment on.

murky
Premium
Eton, ON
reply to murky

Thanks for your reply and advice. I did pay attention to the address that the link provided and thats when I decided not to fill in my user name and password. Here is the link! Very suspicious looking!
murky
»hyuhdfgfhf.altervista.org/hsjhs.htm

fan13027

join:2008-10-26
Winnipeg, MB
Reviews:
·Shaw

That is DEFINITELY a phishing web site. I visited it (using proper precautions) and was surprised to see it still active ... these sites are usually removed within hours.

I've reported the web site to Shaw, but you should also probably forward the original e-mail (showing headers if you can) to internet.abuse@sjrb.ca

You (and others who may need) can learn more about submitting reports for phishing e-mails to Shaw at »community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1132

Good Luck!

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4

Just visiting that site makes Firefox and Kaspersky go crazy Lol

murky
Premium
Eton, ON
reply to fan13027

Thanks for the information & I will check the link that you provided. I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes but nothing was found. I didn't fill in my user name and password or anything else on that page. Firefox didn't indicate a problem and the only addon to FF that I use is Disconnect.
murky

murky
Premium
Eton, ON
reply to fan13027

I visited Shaw's community site and understood their requirements but I have my @shaw.ca mail automatically forwarded to my gmail account. Using Shaw's instructions I was not able to obtain the header. I did forward it to google's "report phishing mail" but given that the mail was forwarded from Shaw I don't think there is much they will do.