uniqs
share rss forum feed

kb0nly

join:2003-07-25
Tyler, MN
Reviews:
·Mediacom

Mediacom Pricing, Vaseline Required...

So lately my bill has been going up and up and up and up... Loyal customer for over ten years, i have always been offered a new deal when my two years is up, and its that time again... Soooo....

I called the retention dept today, finally after a half hour wait i got someone. She said the only thing they could do was downgrade my internet service, nothing they could do on the cost of the cable service, PERIOD. She said there is nothing they can offer or do for me on the cost of that. For which i am paying $71.95 for Family Cable, NO BOXES no other services, just basic service plus Family, which is totally absurd.

Also she wanted to downgrade my internet service, despite the fact that i am near the usage cap of my current service. I asked her what would be the point of downgrading and paying overages, she said well just don't go over. I kid you not, she actually had the nerve to say "well sir just don't go over"....

If there was no usage cap i would be completely happy paying $130 a month, $71.95 for TV and $50.90 for internet plus all the garbage fees, but being limited, having crappy video service for the last two months that they cant seem to resolve, and the internet slowdowns morning and night is really starting to sting ya know??

So i took the 10% discount for six months, so at least i have service while i investigate my options to go elsewhere. I have been a loyal customer for over 10 years and yet i get shit on. I fought the city council to help Mediacom years ago, and yet i still get shit on. I think its time to go tell the mayor and council i can no longer support Mediacom. Not when they keep price gouging us.

MediaCon

join:2013-11-02
Chillicothe, IL

I too had a lot of issues since first week of august and have spent hours on phone. in all probly talked to 30+ppl and maybe half were decent, some didn't know squat and shouldn't even be employed in tech service. I wasn't so worried about pricing as level of quality of service for what I was paying. most employees didn't care. had same friendly advice you received. So I am moving on after 14+ yrs. Soon as my bonded dsl is up and running in town I wont need internet here. Don't really watch tv much. Dish or Direct will work fine if needed.
They should've just let it be but they stuck their fingers in the pie and now they have a real mess.

Magnum3667

join:2013-09-02
Navarre, FL

its funny how they care more about getting new customers more than retaining the customers that have stuck with them for years...i beat they are losing more older customers than they are gaining new ones because we feel robbed at the prices we have to deal with compared to what new people get

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:116
reply to kb0nly

I do understand your frustration with this entire ordeal. I see that our Moderators on our Official Support Forums have looked into this for you as well. Unfortunately, the offer you were given over the phone is the best offer for the services you have at this time. We can revisit this next month when new promotional rates are introduced. As MediacomTim mentioned to you, fee free to contact me here, or one of the Moderators there and one of us will be more than happy to look into this for you. I assure you, we do not want to lose you as a customer.
--
MediacomChad
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/

kb0nly

Tyler, MN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to MediaCon

Agreed... I am going to be calling Dish and DirecTV my next day off and get some prices to make some comparisons. TV isn't something i watch a lot of but its nice to have when i get home from a long day, even if its just a quick show or the evening movie before bed to unwind.

The problem i have here is Mediacom is nearly the only game in town for internet. We have DSL but just plain old twisted pair service, no fiber, no bonded downstream, just slow old DSL. I think it tops out at 3mb service, maybe 6mb as they were trying to roll that out this fall. But nowhere near the 30mb i get with cable.

kb0nly

Tyler, MN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to MediacomChad

If i still have Mediacom service next month i will check back. At this time my only choices are internet only and streaming all my tv needs or going satellite. I can get the same channels from dish for $30 a month. So i don't know what to do. But it needs to be below $100 for both internet and tv or one has to go. And internet has to stay for work so tv is likely to go.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

Let me know here and I will be happy to look.

kb0nly

Tyler, MN
Reviews:
·Mediacom

But looking and actually offering are two different things... LOL... I have come to end of my wits here. I spent most of the day dedicated to this problem and saved 10% for a lousy six months. And it took me about 6 hours to accomplish that, hardly worth it.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
reply to kb0nly

I'm unable to offer any upgrade information here as I don't have updated promotion information. I'll be happy to have someone contact you to answer any questions you may have.

kb0nly

Tyler, MN

I have already contacted the retention department and customer service as well. Didn't do any good.

hilgst11

@mchsi.com
reply to kb0nly

We stay loyal and never miss a bill. And now, when bw and data usage is at an all time low in every other company (including my cell phone provider) , we are charged more.

I too might be using this months service to view and decide on another provider.

MediaCon

Chillicothe, IL

yes, it is a matter of just doing it. Folks sometimes need alittle prodding to get motivated. My goal is to inform here that there is other means for a lot of people besides Mediacom. My posts aren't out of spite (well sort of) but so many years of auto deduct so i'd never miss a payment and the greedy sods went just a little too far. Unhappy camper here. And yes, I have talked with my immediate neighbors too.

MediaCon

Chillicothe, IL
reply to kb0nly

call your local telecom, 6mb is fairly fast, my brothers have that speed at their houses. Netflix never burps and not very expensive. 25 dollars through frontier I believe they pay. might even be less

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

frontier is flirting with doing caps and those caps are like 100gb on the 6mbit plan

Frontier has run a usage limit trial in Kingman, Ariz., Elk Grove and Palo Cedro, Calif., Mound, Minn. as well as Cookeville and Crossville, Tenn. for over a year to measure bandwidth consumption by application type. In those areas, Frontier DSL is usage capped at 100 or 250GB per month. Customers exceeding their allowance are advised to either limit usage or convert to a “high user” service plan starting at $99.99 a month.

source »stopthecap.com/tag/frontier-communications/

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to kb0nly

be prepared to pay per box. and have autobill pay and email bill to save the $$$ they promise you. Also they do charge your for HD even if you do not have an HD tv or use it. Review the hidden charges.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to GLIMMER

There isn't anything on that blog that points to actual proof of the capping of Frontier.

GLIMMER

Fisher, IL

but there are trials in those areas don't you think when they are done with those it will be rolled out system wide.

MediaCon

Chillicothe, IL
reply to TBBroadband

said by TBBroadband:

There isn't anything on that blog that points to actual proof of the capping of Frontier.

I just called and there is at this time no plan to cap frontier. as a business acct I am on extreme. he said no plans for residential either that he was made aware of.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to GLIMMER

But there is no actual "news" about those trials. Stop The Cap has no links no provides any actual information on those caps. That site is a total blog with "inside sources" that are actually nothing.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to MediaCon

Very true. There are no caps on their services. They may have a soft usage cap-like ALL cable and DSL providers, but other than that, nothing- nothing is even listed on their website in those cities are listed about having a cap when putting them into the Frontier website for services.

GLIMMER

Fisher, IL

hey I'm stuck with mediacom so I will take my 2TB cap and 105/10 service for 64.90 till my contract runs out. If frontier can get there bonded service to work right here I could go with that.

I just know that anything but fiber is going to have a cap sooner or later

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

I would take that as well. And Fiber will have a cap as well. It's only a matter of time unless you have a business connection or find a reseller/indie ISP to choose from. And then if you're lucky you can get Internet and OTT one one bill and no problems.

kb0nly

Tyler, MN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to MediaCon

6mb is like dialup to me... I have friends here on Frontier and i have used their connection, its PAINFUL at best. Youtube is limited and Netflix cranks down in resolution and buffers now and then. $25 a month??? Don't think so. I service computers for a living and i am quite aware of the costs here. Intro internet with Frontier is $19.99 a month here and its SLOW, and that goes to $29.99 after your first year, i think its 3mb speed if i remember. The next step up is the 6mb for $49.99. Those are the only two speeds we have here for DSL, period. And you can't get a dry line, so you have to have local phone with it at a minimum. Sure you never need to connect a phone to the line in the house but they will give you service and a phone number for another $19.99 a month bringing your Frontier bill up to around $70 for the highest tier here. And as i said the service speed is HORRIBLE..

kb0nly

Tyler, MN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to TBBroadband

I already reviewed the hidden charges, as a new customer with DirecTv i could get all the channels i have now PLUS the Science Channel and National Geographic which i have always wanted, i have to use internet to watch some of the shows i enjoy from those networks now, it would cost me $29.99 a month for the programming package for the first year plus $12 for the DVR and $6 for each additional receiver, i would only need two so my total for the first year would be $47.99 plus tax. It would go up $20 a month in the second year for the programming package, so $67.99 in the second year. I am paying $71.95 right now for my Family Cable, so in the first year i would save $287... The second year and beyond i would save less but still cheaper by about $4, not much but still its something considering i gain channels also.

I looked into Dish, but their Hopper + Joey setup would cost me a lot more then the DirecTv Genie.

MediaCon

Chillicothe, IL
reply to kb0nly

said by kb0nly:

6mb is like dialup to me... I have friends here on Frontier and i have used their connection, its PAINFUL at best. Youtube is limited and Netflix cranks down in resolution and buffers now and then. $25 a month??? Don't think so. I service computers for a living and i am quite aware of the costs here. Intro internet with Frontier is $19.99 a month here and its SLOW, and that goes to $29.99 after your first year, i think its 3mb speed if i remember. The next step up is the 6mb for $49.99. Those are the only two speeds we have here for DSL, period. And you can't get a dry line, so you have to have local phone with it at a minimum. Sure you never need to connect a phone to the line in the house but they will give you service and a phone number for another $19.99 a month bringing your Frontier bill up to around $70 for the highest tier here. And as i said the service speed is HORRIBLE..

My shop is frontier 7mb down. tomorrow bonded 40mb. the 7 is slow for me too but 3 systems on and god only knows what the secretary is doing. but my brothers have NO issues with the 7mb from frontier. no buffering either. tho all 3 of us are within 800 yrds of the terminal.

hifilistener8

join:2008-04-08
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to kb0nly

About two years ago I switched from Mediacom to DSL. The Mediacom service at that time was "up to" 20+Mbps, and the DSL speed was 10Mbps. I was concerned about the difference, but I found that the overall DSL network performance, even though it was less than 1/2 the speed of the Mediacom service, was a LOT better.

With Mediacom I had a lot of slow speeds, jitter on the line, DNS issues, and other things that made the service unusable during peak time. The DSL service has been rock solid, and services that barely worked, such as VOIP phones and video streaming, work great.

I now have two channels bonded DSL with a speed of 30mbps, and while big downloads are faster, I really don't see much of a difference between the 10 and 30 speed most of the time. Being an IT person, it was interesting running the various tests to find out how bad the Mediacom service actually was.

My local phone provider does allow for bare DSL, and when I learned that I jumped ASAP. It's a shame the OP has to purchase phone service to get DSL. I'm betting you will see that change in the future as more people switch to cell phones, and phone companies learn their grown area is the Internet.

kb0nly

Tyler, MN
Reviews:
·Mediacom

Just goes to show how everyone can have a completely different experience with a company. I had Frontier years ago, 1.5mb back in the day, then mediacom came in with starting packages of 12mb and i blew off Frontier. Right now i have 30/2 and i average 33/2.8 except for a few hours morning and night when its congested, though they claim there is no utilization issue.

The Frontier service here is really rough. I can't normally do a remote support, RDC or TeamViewer, when the client is on Frontier. Its too slow to do anything worthwhile and usually just end up having them bring the computer in. On mediacom i generally run 2-3 remotes at the same time no issues, but i generally schedule with the client to do it late at night or mid day when there is less slowdown.

I thought the slowdown in the evening from 5-7pm on Mediacom was bad, yesterday i was trying to help a customer setup their email accounts on a new computer, they have Frontier 6mb service and it was choking really bad around 6pm. But later in the evening they called to say everything was fine and it finally downloaded their email.

I don't know other than what i personally see daily, and thats the whole deal.

Still considering satellite, i have a soft appointment, it may or may not change depending on the installers day, for a DirecTv tech to stop by and do a site survey this weekend. If he says good to go and can guarantee a good signal i will probably let him go ahead and cancel Mediacom TV service Monday.

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to kb0nly

I am not surprised at all by the mixed reviews on Frontier DSL. Reading their forum on this server, along with CenturyTels, suggests that good DSL service is really hit and miss. It seems to depends heavily on the specific community and history of telephone service in that place, as today's phone companies are all mainly conglomerates of different earlier companies. The same telephone company today can provide great service in one community and be totally bad the next town over if historically these two communities had different telephone companies earlier when DSL service first started. One can almost say the same about cable ISP services as well, although it seems harder to spot the differences, as most companies today are also conglomerates of bought-up previous cable companies, although the variations I'm not sure are as great. With either type, one seems to have to try out out the competitor and not rely strictly on comments from others, especially others from a different community, possibly even a different neighborhood, as variations can vary that widely, especially it seems with DSL.

ADDED: And DSL service also depends heavily on which protocol is being used (ADSL, VDSL, VDSL2, etc., and whether line bonding is available), as that also varies widely even within the same company and sometimes with communities and different neighborhoods. Cable has less variability, mainly DOCSIS3 capable or not.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to kb0nly

Did you factor in DirecTV will be hooked up to your HSI for the updates and for your Genie to work?

You also have taxes on each box that you rent as well.

mrphil1

join:2009-01-02
Charleston, IL

Internet is n-o-t required. Software updates are downloaded via your dish. Apps, such as VOD, Pandora etc will of course not function. I've had D* for over 3 yrs and have never paid any taxes. Perhaps that's specific to your state/locale.