spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

villainz

join:2011-05-27
Chicago, IL

On AT&T U-Verse and the only DSL package available is the 3mbps one.

Hey, I've been stuck with this terribly slow DSL from AT&T U-Verse and was hoping there is a way that I can increase my DL/UL speeds. I just moved from an apartment in which I had 75mbps download and 15 upload. Moving to 3mbps reminds me of the internet that I had back in 2001 and is unacceptable for downloading games off steam, watching anything higher than 480p on youtube and anything above medium quality on twitch.tv, let alone using more than one application that requires internet access. I've spoken a few times to AT&T reps on the phone and they all said any other higher package is unavailable. I have the Motorola NVG510 modem and live within Chicago city limits. Any feedback would be much appreciated from both AT&T reps and others on this forum, thank you.

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

Your best bet is probably to go to Comcast or RCN (if available) like the rest of us needing higher speeds in Chicago have done.

What you have is central office based IP-DSL, and in that case I don't think there's any way to get them to deliver higher speeds. It sounds like there is no VRAD near you to serve you with VDSL and higher speeds. You may either be too far away from the nearest VRAD or AT&T has decided not to put one in on your block for whatever reason. The chances of them doing this in the future I think are pretty slim.

The highest our business in Chicago can get from AT&T now is 768k Uverse. Needless to say we are stuck with Comcast.

For a city of almost 3 million you'd think there'd be more choices with wireline broadband (hello fiber?)

whamel
billhamel .net
Premium
join:2002-05-09
Hinsdale, IL
kudos:10
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
reply to villainz

EXACTLY as GusHerb94 says....Comcast or RCN. I had RCN in the city (Wrigleyville) back in 07-09 and it was rock solid.
3Mbps I wouldn't have even bothered...I couldn't play Call of Duty on XBOX, or do a torrrent with 3Mbps, and I share my internet with 3 others. SOOO...go with RCN...
--
Hinsdale, IL - »www.billhamel.net

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by whamel:

... or do a torrrent with 3Mbps ...

I was able to torrent with 3 Mbps just fine. OTOH, after 75 Mbps service, even my current 13 Mbps would probably seem too slow. (But I am averse to the cost of 75 Mbps, or the nearest local Comcast equivalent.)
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

whamel
billhamel .net
Premium
Hinsdale, IL
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

TRUE, but my torrents are on a private registration site, ANYONE can register, it a torrent site to download live copies of Dave Matthews concerts in compressed, but LOSSLESS .flac audio format. Each show averages around 1GB. With 677,000 users, 23,000 average 1 visit per week, we get alot of leechers, but many seeders as well. Hence I need the DL AND UL to keep my DL/UL ratio on the site above 1.0. However since I help run the site that ratio is moot, but I like to set an example...
The site is:
»www.dreamingtree.org/
I help run it. I used to have 50/10Mbps Comcast but recently moved and reacquired AT&T. I have 45/6Mbps and that works great...
Now with Power upgrade I halved my latency and ALWAYS get advertised speeds, unless 4 HD IPYV streams are running...that's a whole other issue....
In short, if Comcast drops the price on the 50Mbps, I will acquire it for myself and do a "single play".
--

DanM64

join:2013-01-10
Mokena, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

How much are you paying for the Power tier? I pay 74.95 a month for the Blast! 50/10 package with no promo pricing and no Comcast cable tv service (I have Dish), which is slightly less than the U-Verse Power tier.

There is no U-Verse in my neighborhood, the fastest DSL offered here is 3mbps/512kbps, so I know how the OP feels. Pathetic! Fortunately Comcast has been flawless for the year I've had it.

whamel
billhamel .net
Premium
Hinsdale, IL
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

66 and change for power with 12 month promo of $10 off/month so itll go up to 76 and change next year. Whenever I had Comcast every time a promo would expire j would call in and hunt at dropping service with them. They would indefinately extend my promo then, in a sense
--