uniqs
share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

Door hinge lube

What is best to lube up the door hinges with? White lithium grease? Or something else? Does just the moving hinge get sprayed?

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
You know, that lithium grease does dry out. Takes years, but when it does, then you have to CLEAN it out of all the nooks and crannies and springs. The people that previously owned my motorhome put it on everything. It's just horrible to get out of locks and hinges.

You have to re-spray once or twice a year, but I think a good silicone is the best. Then again, as long as I never someday own what you put it on, you can put that white lithium grease on anything you want. MHO.
--
Are YOU just a turkey voting for xmas?

zach3
Zach
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Saint Louis, MO
reply to fartness
WD-40

rjackson
Premium,VIP,MVM,Ex-Mod 2005-13
join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
reply to fartness
WD-40 will dry out after a little while, white lithium grease is best.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM
reply to fartness
I'm partial to graphite but it does require reapplication a little more frequently than lithium grease.
--
I'll be stretching out the rhyme like gravity stretches time.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to fartness

I prefer the GM "Superlube" Multi-Purpose Lubricant. Don't use WD-40 on anything as a lubricant. It does a great job at breaking things loose, but after a short bit of time the stuff attracts dirt like a magnet and gums up the works.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness
Do I spray the rollers too? There's one on the driver side door and one on passenger side door.

Can I spray this stuff inside the locks? When it was in the 20's the other day, I had trouble turning the key to unlock the door once I stuck the key in.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois

Yes, you can spray the rollers and all the moving parts related to the hinges. It is also acceptable to be used inside the door lock cylinders, but do not over-do it. A little goes a long way there.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
I gave a quick spray to the parts of the driver side door then moved the door back and forth a few times. I did the same on the passenger side. Then I repeated the process one more time. Is that sufficient or should I apply more?

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois

The SuperLube goes on wet then forms a gel. It should be plainly visible when you're done and it dries. A good coat on the hinge parts won't hurt a thing.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
I used white lithium.

BTW this was for my 12 year old truck. Do I need to use it on my 23 month old car as preventative maintenance even though there are no issues with the door?

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

I wouldn't use white lith in the door lock cylinders, it gets to thick. Yes, I would use it on the newer vehicle as well, its best to not let them get dried out as that is when they wear the most.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to beck
said by beck:

You know, that lithium grease does dry out. Takes years, but when it does, then you have to CLEAN it out of all the nooks and crannies and springs. The people that previously owned my motorhome put it on everything.

I suspect Honda recommends using white lithium because multiple Honda dealers do it routinely. When we lived in an apartment without a garage, I took my car to a dealer for oil changes and along with the usual topping off fluids, tire pressure, etc, they would also lubricate various hinges.

If you want to start fresh without that stuff, I wonder if there's a solvent of some sort that will remove it...

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois

2 recommendations

said by Hall:

I wonder if there's a solvent of some sort that will remove it...

A can of spray carb cleaner works wonders. Also brake cleaner, but its more expensive.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to mattmag
Is WD-40 ok for the door lock cylinders?

Also I had some clearly "white" stuff on the hinges from when I got my car detailed last year. Not sure if it was white lithium grease or a silicone grease. When I sprayed white lithium on there, it's only a slight white, if that. Any idea what they sprayed on there before? Looks thicker than the white lithium stuff.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
said by fartness:

Is WD-40 ok for the door lock

No, I would use either powdered graphite or a Teflon lube. This is actually my favorite for locks and such.

»www.amazon.com/Outers-Tri-Lube-C···00LC63TE

»www.amazon.com/Outers-Tri-Lube-C···00B8975K

shdesigns