uniqs

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to DarkLogix

MVM

to DarkLogix

Re: Ivy Bridge-E dropped in September has anyone noticed?

said by DarkLogix:

said by jchambers28:

I would only use 2 GPu'S and 1 raid card and a ceton PCIe tuner.

Why get the PCIe, I'd get the network tuner.

Same here,....

I have a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime with three tuners but if I didn't have that I would definitely go for something like the Ceton InfiniTV 6 Ethernet Network Tuner.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

I have directv but if I had cable I'd get the Ceton InfiniTV 6 Ethernet Network Tuner for sure

Man I wish there were tuners for DTV that could connect to the computer.

With a network tuner I could have a VM do the job of recording, then I'd have more usefullness from my ESXi server

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

Man I wish there were tuners for DTV that could connect to the computer.

Agreed, I have an HDHomerun and it's awesome, but I wish it could do more.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to DarkLogix

MVM

to DarkLogix
As I am sure you know the options there are slim to none for Satellite.

However,.......

The Hauppauge HD PVR USB unit and Hauppauge Colossus PCIe card can capture off of something like a cable set top box or Satellite set top box without restriction at up to 1080i. This is via component analog and actually works fairly well. Additional software from DVBLink can presumably make these capture devices function almost like network tuners or so I have heard.

I actually prefer my Hauppauge HD PVR USB units and Hauppauge Colossus to my Silicondust HDHomeRun Prime because I know I'll get great quality HD (AVCHD / H.264) recordings from any HD channel without DRM restrictions. So I can just send recordings to my server (automatically or manually) and access it from anywhere,...from any machine.

I like CableCard but I don't like the restrictions. Thats why in Media Center I have the Hauppauge products set to primary tuners. That way CableCard only comes into play if the other tuners are already being used,...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Ya I have an HDPVR but I don't keep my main computer on 24/7 and my DTV DVR only outputs one channel at a time

If I went that route I'd have to get multiple HDPVR's and multiple receivers and then if DTV pushed an update at the wrong time I'd be SOL

plus I'd likely get some of the DTV UI in the recording.

its a workaround not a solution.

so I still want a DTV tuner like the ceton 6 network tuner.

why hasn't someone hacked it yet or is it just super hard to find.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Indeed,...

I think I remember hearing talk about such a tuner before the Fiji release for Windows Vista. It never went to market though,...

I hear you though. I had two HD cable boxes (living room / bedroom) and 4x SiliconDust HDHomeRun units (8) tuners in Clear-QAM mode. I was happy with that since it gave me more then enough tuners for each system. Then my cable company started encrypting everything so I switched the HDHomeRun units to OTA. That encryption also entitled me to a free cable box for a year so I got a third.

So that's two cable boxes on one dedicated Media Center system using Hauppauge HD PVR units and SiliconDust HDHomeRun units in OTA mode. The other dedicated Media Center system uses one cable box with the Hauppauge Colossus (primary) and has three tuners off of the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime.

On the CableCard system I check any recordings I care about to be sure they were made on the Hauppbauge Colossus or rather I check to make sure they are unprotected / unrestricted. If they are restricted I might just delete them and reschedule the recording. I don't want to archive any restricted recordings.