uniqs
share rss forum feed

ipwn3r456

join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

Possible internet speed upgrades for the middle tier?

I have been seeing the posts below saying that the highest and the lowest tier will be increased in speed. Lite will go from 1/1 to 2/1, and ultimate will go form 50/5 to 100/5. That's true, but I also see some people mentioning about possible speed upgrades to the middle tiers as well, such as standard go from 15/1 to 20/2, turbo from 20/2 to 30/5, extreme going from 30/5 to 50/5, etc... I am currently on their standard internet, I have been wanting to have 30/5, if the upgrades is true, should I be upgrading to the turbo plan, since it's $10 off at this moment, and possibly getting the speed upgrades to 30/5? What do you guys think?

sludgehound

join:2007-03-12
New York, NY

Haven't seen much about mid tier. Tried Turbo for month in Man'h and reverted back to 15/512 now 15/1. Didn't see any real gain for 20 over the 15 that I'd had before 20 month trial, esp for price dif.
Certainly would take increase to 20 should they do it. I was also on their crappy modem rentals when tried 20 with frequent disconnects and outages so reliability was bigger concern at time. After buying my own DOCSIS 3 Moto 6121 instead of their trial ones (both brands) I've not had disconnects (outages yes).
They were claiming at the time Turbo got you a DOCSIS 3 rental otherwise they pushed a 2.0 so don't know if Standard to Turbo free boost would require TWC to swap out rentals to higher modems? Might delay a freebie in this area.

ipwn3r456

Los Angeles, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by sludgehound:

Haven't seen much about mid tier. Tried Turbo for month in Man'h and reverted back to 15/512 now 15/1. Didn't see any real gain for 20 over the 15 that I'd had before 20 month trial, esp for price dif.
Certainly would take increase to 20 should they do it. I was also on their crappy modem rentals when tried 20 with frequent disconnects and outages so reliability was bigger concern at time. After buying my own DOCSIS 3 Moto 6121 instead of their trial ones (both brands) I've not had disconnects (outages yes).
They were claiming at the time Turbo got you a DOCSIS 3 rental otherwise they pushed a 2.0 so don't know if Standard to Turbo free boost would require TWC to swap out rentals to higher modems? Might delay a freebie in this area.

I really don't know about if Turbo plans gets you a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I am thinking of that as well. On TWC's website, at "buy your own modem" part, now that all approved modems are DOCSIS 3.0. Link here: »www.timewarnercable.com/en/resid···dem.html

Well, DOCSIS 2.0 is very old already... What I think they would do is probably will swap every single modem starting from standard to the highest tier, to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. And maybe for the low end tiers, lite and basic, will be still using a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. I own my own modem anyway, so this doesn't matter with me.

digital808

join:2007-07-28
Mililani, HI
reply to ipwn3r456

middle tiers already had their speed increase earlier this year. It was the top tier that didn't have speed increase until now

bednarjm

join:2005-09-26
Franklin, PA
reply to sludgehound

Turbo gets you DOCSIS 3 modem if you get their wireless service. Otherwise you'll probably get the DOCSIS 2. Also depends on what's in the techs truck at the time.

ipwn3r456

Los Angeles, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to digital808

said by digital808:

middle tiers already had their speed increase earlier this year. It was the top tier that didn't have speed increase until now

That's only for the standard tier. I never saw or heard Turbo or Extreme being upgraded this year.

switchman

join:1999-11-06
reply to digital808

said by digital808:

I don't consider these official speed increases, if you are talking about the minor speed bumps back in August. I still say it was to improve their standing in the FCC report. If you look at the Sustained Upload/Download Speeds charts in the report, you can see that TWC was just under 100% of their advertised speeds. These bumps will get them up to 100%. That plus the fact that they are not official advertised/posted speed increases.

»www.fcc.gov/measuring-broadband-···February

ipwn3r456

Los Angeles, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by switchman:

said by digital808:

I don't consider these official speed increases, if you are talking about the minor speed bumps back in August. I still say it was to improve their standing in the FCC report. If you look at the Sustained Upload/Download Speeds charts in the report, you can see that TWC was just under 100% of their advertised speeds. These bumps will get them up to 100%. That plus the fact that they are not official advertised/posted speed increases.

»www.fcc.gov/measuring-broadband-···February

Agreed. Actually I never thought about that the 10% over-provisioning is to look "better" on the FCC report. Well, better for the customers, at least.

TD22057

@rr.com

FYI - I was returning my leased modem today and asked about the speed upgrades in Los Angeles. The lady I talked said this:

- Santa Clarita got the speed upgrade on the 11th
- Only the top tier (50 Mbps) is affected
- If you're paying the "intro" rate, you get 50 Mbps, if you're paying the full rate, you get 100 Mbps

So I could upgrade from my 30 Mbps plan to 50 and pay the intro rate for 1 year or pay the full rate now and get 100.

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·AT&T U-Verse
·VOIPO

said by TD22057 :

FYI - I was returning my leased modem today and asked about the speed upgrades in Los Angeles. The lady I talked said this:

- If you're paying the "intro" rate, you get 50 Mbps, if you're paying the full rate, you get 100 Mbps

So I could upgrade from my 30 Mbps plan to 50 and pay the intro rate for 1 year or pay the full rate now and get 100.

I'm in Santa Clarita and haven't received the increase. Twc direct said by the end of the month.

CJ90006

join:2004-10-05
Los Angeles, CA
reply to TD22057

said by TD22057 :

I wouldn't put too much trust into what those reps say. If TWC really is trying to be consistent with all regions, then LA should be no different than Hawaii. Their middle tiers were upgraded. Like Turbo 20/2 was upgraded to 30/5. If they don't do the same for LA region, that would be really f*cked up. TWC is seriously the worst when it comes to upload speeds.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to motoracer

said by motoracer:

I'm in Santa Clarita and haven't received the increase. Twc direct said by the end of the month.

Same. I'm paying full price for Ultimate and am still getting 50. I'll call if I'm not upgraded on the 25th.

ipwn3r456

Los Angeles, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to CJ90006

said by CJ90006:

said by TD22057 :

I wouldn't put too much trust into what those reps say. If TWC really is trying to be consistent with all regions, then LA should be no different than Hawaii. Their middle tiers were upgraded. Like Turbo 20/2 was upgraded to 30/5. If they don't do the same for LA region, that would be really f*cked up. TWC is seriously the worst when it comes to upload speeds.

The thing is, would they really do it? That's the question.