All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
sludgehound
join:2007-03-12
New York, NY

sludgehound to TWC_User

to TWC_User

Re: Possible internet speed upgrades for the middle tier?

Haven't seen much about mid tier. Tried Turbo for month in Man'h and reverted back to 15/512 now 15/1. Didn't see any real gain for 20 over the 15 that I'd had before 20 month trial, esp for price dif.
Certainly would take increase to 20 should they do it. I was also on their crappy modem rentals when tried 20 with frequent disconnects and outages so reliability was bigger concern at time. After buying my own DOCSIS 3 Moto 6121 instead of their trial ones (both brands) I've not had disconnects (outages yes).
They were claiming at the time Turbo got you a DOCSIS 3 rental otherwise they pushed a 2.0 so don't know if Standard to Turbo free boost would require TWC to swap out rentals to higher modems? Might delay a freebie in this area.

TWC_User
join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
(Software) pfSense
Humax BGW320-500
TP-Link EAP610

TWC_User

said by sludgehound:

Haven't seen much about mid tier. Tried Turbo for month in Man'h and reverted back to 15/512 now 15/1. Didn't see any real gain for 20 over the 15 that I'd had before 20 month trial, esp for price dif.
Certainly would take increase to 20 should they do it. I was also on their crappy modem rentals when tried 20 with frequent disconnects and outages so reliability was bigger concern at time. After buying my own DOCSIS 3 Moto 6121 instead of their trial ones (both brands) I've not had disconnects (outages yes).
They were claiming at the time Turbo got you a DOCSIS 3 rental otherwise they pushed a 2.0 so don't know if Standard to Turbo free boost would require TWC to swap out rentals to higher modems? Might delay a freebie in this area.

I really don't know about if Turbo plans gets you a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I am thinking of that as well. On TWC's website, at "buy your own modem" part, now that all approved modems are DOCSIS 3.0. Link here: »www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· dem.html

Well, DOCSIS 2.0 is very old already... What I think they would do is probably will swap every single modem starting from standard to the highest tier, to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. And maybe for the low end tiers, lite and basic, will be still using a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. I own my own modem anyway, so this doesn't matter with me.
bednarjm
join:2005-09-26
Franklin, PA

bednarjm to sludgehound

to sludgehound
Turbo gets you DOCSIS 3 modem if you get their wireless service. Otherwise you'll probably get the DOCSIS 2. Also depends on what's in the techs truck at the time.