dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« NAT64 breaks VPN
This is a sub-selection from This is terrible!!!
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: This is terrible!!!

said by tshirt:

I understand it's a limited cpu, ram , and network stack, but dropping v4 (ie NOT native dual stack) is sure to cause outages/PANIC under some circumstances.
There is some time before ONLY v6 is a good idea.

Try understanding what has been said in the post. Support for accessing v4 only sites has not been dropped.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Yes, I read that, and that consumers trying to reach v4 addresses will have to rely on a v6 to v4 DNS redirection translator.
All good if it works perfectly, is secure, and T-mo finds no reason to "adjust" the DNS results.
would you be as trusting if it were AT&T, or verizon "HELPING" you?
Being forced into it, because your provider failed to secure enough v4 addresses or because the existing DNS64 fails, is different then CHOOSING to embrace a new methodology.

evilphi
@comcast.net

evilphi

Anon

It's more like T-mobile was forced into doing this due to lack of IPv4 addresses. They didn't "fail" to get more IPv4, there simply isn't any more to get. The majority of users get new devices annually, so this will quickly alleviate long-term IPv4 pressure. In other words, this will make it possible for T-mobile to support legacy (IPv4-only and non-464XLAT) devices much longer.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to tshirt

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

Yes, I read that, and that consumers trying to reach v4 addresses will have to rely on a v6 to v4 DNS redirection translator.
All good if it works perfectly, is secure, and T-mo finds no reason to "adjust" the DNS results.
would you be as trusting if it were AT&T, or verizon "HELPING" you?
Being forced into it, because your provider failed to secure enough v4 addresses or because the existing DNS64 fails, is different then CHOOSING to embrace a new methodology.

v4 address space doesn't grow on trees and isn't limitless. A lot of mobile providers are already using NAT which is a shit show. It's time things move forward.
« NAT64 breaks VPN
This is a sub-selection from This is terrible!!!