how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zaxcom

join:2008-12-26
Charlotte, NC

New Cisco firmware today

My DVR got a firmware update over night. DVR compensation has been restored, and a new option to display the menu in 16x9.

tasmithe

join:2002-09-16
Graham, NC

Do you have the Whole House DVR from Cisco?

zaxcom

Charlotte, NC

No, just 1 stand alone DVR.

Rojo_P

join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH
reply to zaxcom

I was so excited to hear about the restoration of DVR Compensation I immediately turned on the TV and DVR this morning.

No love for the Mid Ohio market.

jacko15

@rr.com

Nothing for Samsung boxes in Northeast Ohio either.

zaxcom

Charlotte, NC
reply to zaxcom

Several new digital TV features will be available this week to customers in Charlotte and Raleigh:

• On Demand Portal on channel 999
• Improvements to DVR Manager
• Widescreen guide option
• Upgraded Advanced Search
• Reintroduction of DVR compensation
• General performance improvements

On Demand Portal, DVR Manager and Advanced Search
Only customers with the following ODN and ADSG-enabled set-top box models will receive the On Demand Portal, DVR Manager and Advanced Search enhancements:

• Motorola - DCX3200-M, DCX3400-M, DCX3510-M
• Samsung - 3260, 3270, 3262, 3272, 3090, 3362
• Cisco - 464x, 864x, 474x, 874x
Widescreen Guide
Only the following ODN and ADSG-capable set-top box models have the capability to display the guide in the new widescreen format:

• Motorola - DCX3200-M, DCX3400-M, DCX3510-M
• Samsung - 3090, 3260, 3270, 3262, 3272, 3362
• Cisco - 464x, 864x, 474x, 874x
New Digital TV Features:
The update will enact several changes to the user experience for our customers. New features include:
On Demand Portal

The On Demand Portal consolidates all VOD channels and content in one destination on channel 999, with movie and TV show box art, ‘browse by category’ functions, a keyboard search and more.

DVR Manager

The DVR manager has been updated to improve the overall customer experience with simplified navigation of recordings and recording schedule, box art, a better layout, a new series page, multiple episode delete option and more.

Widescreen Guide Option

The guide has been optimized to display in a 'widescreen' format at 16x9 ratio, which is more compatible with HDTV sets. This view allows for additional area to display seven rows of guide data, a 2-hour grid, longer program titles and extended description data.
This new option eliminates graphic stretching on Samsung boxes and the video curtain on Cisco boxes – so customers will now enjoy a true HDTV experience on the guide.

*This option is only available on ADSG-capable boxes (see list above for specific model types).
The default setting for displaying the guide is now 16x9 format. To display the guide in the 4x3 format, customers can update their settings in the Settings menu: Settings > High Definition > Menus > Choose “Standard (4x3).”
Advanced Search

Advanced Search provides search results with box art, full program descriptions and cast listings for both Live TV and On Demand programming, so customers can choose to watch now or set up a recording to watch later. With this new release, customers will enjoy optimized search results for Movies, TV series and Sports Teams, higher quality box art, prioritized HD and NEW episodes in series results and more.

DVR Compensation

The DVR compensation feature will also be reintroduced on all digital navigator boxes. DVR compensation starts playback a few seconds earlier than the time the play button was hit.
Additional Fixes

This update also includes several minor performance improvements and bug fixes.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by zaxcom:

Widescreen Guide Option

The guide has been optimized to display in a 'widescreen' format at 16x9 ratio, which is more compatible with HDTV sets. This view allows for additional area to display seven rows of guide data, a 2-hour grid, longer program titles and extended description data.
This new option eliminates graphic stretching on Samsung boxes and the video curtain on Cisco boxes – so customers will now enjoy a true HDTV experience on the guide.

Welcome to 2010, TWC!

ddeerrff

join:2002-08-30
Brookfield, WI
reply to zaxcom

Just to put a number on it, that is ODN 7.2.0.5

Satch

join:2009-11-25

Stability is the main issue and at least for Wisconsin, at least in my area with Navigator that has been achieved. Although my little old SA-8300HDC may hiccup from time to time, but the ODN 6 footprint makes it work reasonably well.

The real watch is going to be the public's reaction to the newer features over time as more legacy boxes get migrated. We will have populations that may want something "simple" or with a lot more "integrated" advanced features and options.

Those customers with the advanced search option, you should check to see if it the option sticks, or keyword search is or can be made the default? I still believe that that any advanced search should default to keywords and nothing else. Title Search was (and may still be) the default setting and you used to (and may still have to) change the search filter for advanced search every time to search by keywords.

I know all the Title Search quick options for Sports and once made a Navigator Tutorial to help customers with that. Once you know how the titles are organized for less obvious programs like sports, the search is still not exactly good, but not impossible to use.

Satch

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
reply to zaxcom

Nice! Hopefully it'll come to my neck of the woods soon.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

will be glad to get this

I have wanted this since I got a DCX3510M this summer. I am glad TWC is moving to a centralized VOD channel for the ODN ADSG boxes

16x9 guide native

Also DVR folders finally!

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to zaxcom

So, I've been hearing from some guys in our local AVS forum about this update.

And it doesn't sound as good as it seems.

Apparently, the DVR will create a folder for each new show and will begin nesting the shows with the 1st recording. Unlike DTV who will not nest until you have +1 recordings.

And apparently, the delete process is pretty fangled up now.

tasmithe

join:2002-09-16
Graham, NC
reply to zaxcom

Hmmm nothing out of the Greensboro headend yet then for us.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
reply to zaxcom

Hey that looks nice. So is it widescreen SD or ED or is it really a full HD GUI with crisp text and high resolution studio quality graphics?

Sounds like the foldering system is messed up though. If you have 1 show why would they think to put it in a folder?

Does auto HD tuning work on everything now? Hate visiting the inlaws and the only HD they watch is locals and a few premiums because that's all TWC auto tunes to HD in their system. Though they have an 8300HDC, I'll never see the cool features I guess.

Satch

said by cypherstream:

Hey that looks nice. So is it widescreen SD or ED or is it really a full HD GUI with crisp text and high resolution studio quality graphics?

Sounds like the foldering system is messed up though. If you have 1 show why would they think to put it in a folder?

Does auto HD tuning work on everything now? Hate visiting the inlaws and the only HD they watch is locals and a few premiums because that's all TWC auto tunes to HD in their system. Though they have an 8300HDC, I'll never see the cool features I guess.

I got an SA-8300HDC as well. My division unless you really beg and work for it only gives out the newest boxes to Whole Home/Signature Home Subs. Reviews on the update are mixed. Some even like the old search better because it was "simplier." A huge downside that hopefully gets corrected is that the B button in the new version DOES NOT begin the search on the viewed show or the time grid! More search options have been added. However, the screen seems too busy. Some don't understand the added DVR Management system either.

Legacy boxes are supposed to be getting new features, but not until the cloud-based system, which the new search and VOD portal is further mainstream. Cloud Based means that TWC will take the features and settings off the boxes and move them to a secure cloud server, allowing the boxes to do less work by freeing up memory. The legacy boxes haven't been converted to the cloud technology yet, and because of this, the SA models would be too strained for memory to add the new features.

The Cloud is an on-going system with regard to development. Things like VOD movies when you order them are cloud based now, and you can do that on any of the boxes.

Satch

PirateGirl

@myvzw.com

I got the new update and like some aspects and hate others. The display look is nice and I like that multiple shows of the same series are stored in folders, however you lose the ability to use the left and right buttons to navigate through your DVR list. Before I could scroll through my list of recorded shows (by date or title) and in the middle of the list hit the right button to scroll over to my scheduled recordings. You're not able to do this now. If you're at the bottom if your recorded list you have to scroll all the way to the top of the list in order to use the right button to go over to scheduled recordings and DVR manager settings. This probably isn't a big deal but it's a huge waste of time to scroll all the way to the top to switch through the menu. Also the scrolling is slow, I'll think it got stuck and keep scrolling down only to have it finally catch up and be lower than I meant to go. Also I've had a few shows disappear, I'm well aware it will delete shows to make room for new recordings but when I go to see if the show that disappeared was added to the recording log with " deleted to make room for new recording" as the reason, the show isn't in the log anywhere. Not sure if I'm the only one affected this way. The DVR compensation is back which is nice. Hopefully they will fix these bugs, then it'll be great!

motorola870

Arlington, TX

got an message from someone in Nebraska that they got ODN7 today so it looks like this update may not be tied to the National Channel Lineup initiative like for some areas

Satch

said by motorola870:

got an message from someone in Nebraska that they got ODN7 today so it looks like this update may not be tied to the National Channel Lineup initiative like for some areas

My understanding is that everyone on ODN will get ODN 7. But only the ADSG boxes (Ciscos, Motorola's, and Samsungs) get the expanded search, new DVR Management, and VOD screens at this time.

Everyone gets DVR Compensation back. The new DVR Management screens on the ASDG boxes are confusing for some customers. TWC also needs the next update for advanced search to begin when the B button is pressed on the show being watched or viewed in the time grid.

Does anyone have an SA-8300HDC like I do where they have noticed anything else different about ODN 7?

Satch

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by Satch:

said by motorola870:

My understanding is that everyone on ODN will get ODN 7. But only the ADSG boxes (Ciscos, Motorola's, and Samsungs) get the expanded search, new DVR Management, and VOD screens at this time.

Everyone gets DVR Compensation back. The new DVR Management screens on the ASDG boxes are confusing for some customers. TWC also needs the next update for advanced search to begin when the B button is pressed on the show being watched or viewed in the time grid.

Does anyone have an SA-8300HDC like I do where they have noticed anything else different about ODN 7?

Satch

well the person that sent me the message was Scififan68 and he is in Fremont NE which is a part of the Lincoln market and from the looks of it he told me he had a SMT-3272 and they haven't activated DSG yet in the Lincoln market so he may have just gotten the 16x9 guide and DVR compensation returned.

Oh I am curious what does the search look like for non-DSG boxes? My market only has DSG activated Navigator boxes so I haven't seen any without the cloud based search with ODN 6.0.0._19.

Satch

said by motorola870:

said by Satch:

said by motorola870:

Satch

well the person that sent me the message was Scififan68 and he is in Fremont NE which is a part of the Lincoln market and from the looks of it he told me he had a SMT-3272 and they haven't activated DSG yet in the Lincoln market so he may have just gotten the 16x9 guide and DVR compensation returned.

Oh I am curious what does the search look like for non-DSG boxes? My market only has DSG activated Navigator boxes so I haven't seen any without the cloud based search with ODN 6.0.0._19.

I don't think the search has changed at all for non ASG boxes. Actually, I would be happy with the old search if the keyboard could just search by keywords. The added DVR screens, VOD cover art and the expanded search filters, most of that is eye-candy for me at least. That's really the only thing I miss from the Passport days, the ability to search by any keyword in the description.

If that ever comes to the legacy boxes, I will be happy with Navigator as it stands. Actually to be honest I would rather see keyword search on Navigator rather than the return of DVR Compensation. I just hit the replay button.to jump back now in ODN 6.1

Satch

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE
reply to motorola870

Yup and if anyone wants to see what mine looks like and ever wants to compare the differences between the different versions, as it seems not too many pictures of the differences. Anyhow here are the pictures I took(cropped)

»dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3834···crop.jpg

wbrightfl7

join:2004-07-15
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

said by scififan68:

Yup and if anyone wants to see what mine looks like and ever wants to compare the differences between the different versions, as it seems not too many pictures of the differences. Anyhow here are the pictures I took(cropped)

Are your pictures the latest version released? Your guide has a navy blue background but in the pictures zaxcom posted it is black background. Are you able to chose a color scheme now? I like the blue theme in your pictures.