spc
Search similar:

uniqs

GReaper
join:2011-12-16
Oshawa, ON

GReaper

[DSL] 2 Connections one house

Currently im a dsl 5/6 user, been told that is also my max available. Next year daughters BF is moving in & wants his own internet feed. My only concern is if its DSL will this effect my connection in any way? My install & connection has been great & cant complain & dont want ANYTHING to mess with this. I didnt need a tech to come out for my connection to work & feel if one comes out to hook him up things will go wrong
Teksavvy doesnt offer cable out my way i been told.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver

As long as you have a second pair of copper coming in to your home, you can absolutely have two DSL lines.

TSI Ashleigh
Premium Member
join:2013-02-24
Chatham, ON

TSI Ashleigh to GReaper

Premium Member

to GReaper
Hello GReaper,

Thank you for the post! MacGyver is correct the second DSL connection would need to be connected through your 2nd pair to be able to run both DSL services at the same time.

I have also answered your post through the TekSavvyForum as well with a little more detail to this question for you.

If you have any other questions please let us know!

Thank you
TSI-Ashleigh
fefrie
join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC

fefrie to GReaper

to GReaper
Why not take his money, combine it with your money, get an overall faster line, set it up with tomato QOS and reap the benefits of a faster line?

If he's paranoid about having enough bandwidth for himself, you can set minimum alloted bandwidth during busy times automatically.

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33

get cable internet
Expand your moderator at work
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to MacGyver

Premium Member

to MacGyver

Re: [DSL] 2 Connections one house

said by MacGyver:

As long as you have a second pair of copper coming in to your home, you can absolutely have two DSL lines.

Exactly. Been there, done that, not a problem. You can have as many DSL connections as you have copper pairs coming into your house.

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to GReaper

Premium Member

to GReaper

Re: [DSL] 2 Connections one house

thought this would be a fetish thread

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
MLPP may be a good option too, set rules for minimum service for each of you, but when the other is idle, the other has a faster connection
ndttech
join:2012-03-07

ndttech to GReaper

to GReaper
I have 2 DSL lines (2 pair copper) coming into a TP-Link Dual WAN Router to balance out the load. If I shut one line down, I sure hear about it from the kids' games lagging....

GReaper
Oshawa, ON

1 edit

GReaper to MJB33

to MJB33
Teksavvy Doesnt offer cable out my way, only DSL 6 max.

Been looking into MLPPP idea, of course he's footing install fee, dsl modem fee, dryloop fee.
For MLPPP we would need a new router as my TL-WR941ND from what I can tell doesn't support tomato SO might get him to foot the bill on a new router

Might have to also look into QOS settings etc as last thing i want is ONE person hogging ALL the speed for gaming etc

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver

It would be easier to just separate the two networks. Give him one DSL line with its router and passwords, and keep the other with its router and passwords for yourself.

I looked into MLPPP because I'm in the same boat as far as DSL availability. After reading -old- posts from Guspaz who said the software is no longer being developed and can be difficult to set up, I chose to avoid it and stick with single line for now. If the kids need more bandwidth for their stuff, I'll just get a second DSL line and router for them...

GReaper
Oshawa, ON

GReaper

Yea it looks like im going that route His own DSL line, then I dont have to worry about what he does on his connection etc

BTC Kevin
join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin

Good choice, and he can have his own telephone number as well using a second pair. or go dry-loop on it. but second number is a good deal to give em privacy.

GReaper
Oshawa, ON

GReaper

prob dry loop as he has a cell phone. I just hope whatever he does on his connection doesnt effect me/mine etc. He tends to think whatever is on the INTERNET/web is free. If he gets caught for something I dont want it effecting the rest of us in this house LOL

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Account in his name, on his own copper pair, nothing should come back to you, other than possibly be an address issue

ground
join:2008-01-16
Toronto, ON

ground to GReaper

to GReaper
Please let us know how it all works out. I suspect it would be problematic to get 2 dry loops going over a single line under two different accounts using the same address.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

@ground this would require a 2nd pair (line)
coolspot18
join:2012-10-23

coolspot18 to GReaper

to GReaper
said by GReaper:

Been looking into MLPPP idea, of course he's footing install fee, dsl modem fee, dryloop fee.
For MLPPP we would need a new router as my TL-WR941ND from what I can tell doesn't support tomato SO might get him to foot the bill on a new router

I have the same router, I'm running Gargoyle Firmware on it - it's a lay persons version of OpenWRT.

»www.gargoyle-router.com

Only thing is I'm not sure if the router is fast enough for QoS under full load (12mbits+). Might be pushing it for this particular router.