spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Icefall
join:2013-11-05
Liberty, MO

Icefall

Unstable Connection, Looking for Suggestions

On Oct 30th, the internet service went down and all web pages redirected to an AT&T page saying we needed to call them for info. Billing was up to date, so not sure what was up with that, but while on the phone with CS, whose support tools had locked up, the internet came back on and started working again.

However, since that day, the quality of the connection has been terrible. The download speeds jump around constantly making things like video watching and game play next to impossible. I've run various speed tests and the connection, which used to get around 2.4Mbps (3Mbps plan), is now lucky to hit 1Mbps. It's hit below 56k before more than once while running scans. I have seen it briefly spike past 2Mbps, but then usually shortly after the modem's DSL light goes red and drops everything and reconnects back at the slower speeds.

I've of course tried restarting the modem, as well as my router and PC just to be sure, but the connection hasn't gotten any better in terms of speed or stability. Any suggestions of things to try or look into is greatly appreciated.

Modem: Speedstream 5100

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Icefall:

Modem: Speedstream 5100

Post the DSL statistics from the modem. Should be at »192.168.0.1/statistics.htm:

Example.
Icefall
Liberty, MO

Icefall

Do you need more of the page? The bottom half seemed to be just DNS type addresses and MAC info.

We called AT&T earlier today. Support said they saw something or other wrong with the line and flushed it and will monitor it for 48 hours for further issues. After they flushed it, speeds and consistency jumped back up to normal, but a few hours later the DSL light went red again and dropped connection a couple times, coming back in at the slower, jumpy speeds for a couple hours. It seems to be back up to normal speeds again currently, but still if there is anything on my end I can do to add stability, all the better.

Also, the AT&T tech had us test the modem without the filter on, but didn't let us know if we should keep it off while they monitor things or if we should put it back on.

Thanks for all your help and time.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

The SN Margin at 5.0 dB is not good; too low. With Line Attenuation at just 25.0 dB (which is very good), there is a problem somewhere. If you can hook up at the test jack in the NID, then you could see if the problem is premises wiring (better than 10.0 dB SN Margin), or plant wiring (SN Margin is same).

With your very good 25.0 dB attenuation, SN Margin should be well above a marginal 5.0 dB.
Icefall
Liberty, MO

Icefall

Thank you for that information. I'll look into finding out where the NID is on this house. Thanks again!

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

With your very good 25.0 dB attenuation, SN Margin should be well above a marginal 5.0 dB.

I agree, with an attenuation that low on downstream it can't be over 6500ft from the C.O. or remote. if I had to go with the simple math of..

25db/40db=62.5% 0.625
6500ft*0.625= 4062.5 ft (estimated max)

Another thought that might be is the 5100 might be going bad/is bad.