spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

switching

@cgocable.net

switching to fibe - any issues

so my cogeco discounts expired last month and their "best offer" was still $25/mo more than it used to be. on a whim i stopped by the bell kiosk at square one the other day and the guy @ the desk put together a package that is a lot cheaper - $120/mo + tax for the big cable pkg w tmn, pvr, 25/10 internet, home phone, all for 2 years. so basically it's almost $65/mo cheaper than what i pay now. obviously i'm switching, for the first time in 9 years.

i'm making a list of the places i've used my cogeco email address so i can update that, and i'm resigning myself to losing all the shows i've recorded on my pvr.

what am i likely to forget about?

rayray142

join:2005-11-01
Windsor, ON
I had tried to switch to Fibe, but found out that it was just a marketing term and they didn't actually offer fibre in my area (even though their availability check said otherwise). I had gone from a Cogeco 30/10 package to a perceived 50/10 package from Bell, but ended up getting no more than 6mbps/1mbps actual throughout.

Within the first 6 days of my install, I had called tech support twice and had a tech onsite troubleshoot. I cancelled the service within 7 days, but fought with their billing department on all the fees that were added to my account for 4 months (not an exaggeration).

This is just an account of my experience; I'm not suggesting everyone would get the same treatment.

Hope this helps,

Rob

RedMageX

join:2011-10-06
Oakville, ON
said by rayray142:

I had tried to switch to Fibe, but found out that it was just a marketing term and they didn't actually offer fibre in my area (even though their availability check said otherwise).

Yep, it's marketing tomfoolery. All cable providers DO use fiber optic cables, but typically it's in the main lines, and you're still subject to "last mile copper" connection.

Realistically, unless you can get Google Fiber, or pay through the nose for actual Fiber Optic connection, you're working on Copper based COAX cable.

The only experience with Bell that I've had is at my friend's place in Brantford, and consistently when I visit, his internet connection is below 70% of his advertised connection speed...whereas with my Cogeco home connection, I get my 10Mbps 99% of the time I test the connection (and never see drops below 8Mbps)

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by RedMageX:

Realistically, unless you can get Google Fiber, or pay through the nose for actual Fiber Optic connection, you're working on Copper based COAX cable.

You'd be surprised. Cogeco has a lot of RFoG out there