how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1

Odd problem - Shaw + Firefox = No Google!

I know for various reasons that we should be weaning ourselves off the big G, but an interesting problem has cropped up - a number of people in Lower Mainland (notably Surrey and surrounding) who use Shaw cannot access any Google-hosted site (Google, Gmail, G+, etc) using Firefox, either 24 or 25. Works fine in IE and Chrome, but do it in Firefox and you get:

quote:
Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.google.ca.

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

Only Shaw+Firefox though.

»support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/976504

Just a heads up - you're not alone if Google is not working for you.

Amar

join:2001-07-20
Surrey, BC
I'm glad it's not just me. It started yesterday afternoon. This doesn't just affect Firefox though. Certain android apps like Google+ don't work either, and I was unable to sign into my new nexus 5 with two factor authentication on WiFi. It worked on LTE though. I also cannot access certain other SSL sites like feedly in Firefox.

Has this been reported to Shaw?

maxcer

join:2013-11-06
yea guys I had this problem too and was on the phone and on the chat application with shaw. the guy on the phone tried to assume me the is wasn't shaw that was at fault here.

same problem as both of you, all PC's on my network would not load Google sites from FireFox.

I also have a problem with JTV/Twitch. if one of you could test those site I would love feedback

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter
reply to tlhIngan
since Shaw has a Google cache server, blame Shaw.

Google operates it(security-wise), but issues can arise at the ISP level.

a Google IP number.
»173.194.43.101/
The Shaw Google cache may over-ride that number and break the Internet.
Maybe the Google cache Server choked at the browser check? Or if its other SSL pages, maybe Shaw broke encryption for some reason? Another encrypted page site EFF.org »www.eff.org/

Alternately, you can firewall block the Shaw Google cache IP, to hopefully be redirected to another Google server.
--
Knowledge and curiosity are not crimes and those who are curious should not be treated like criminals.. »www.eff.org/https-everywhere

rotohoto

join:2012-03-31
canada
kudos:1
I guess you could argue from a policy standpoint it's Shaw's fault... since they agreed to have the cache in the first place.

But Google doesn't just operate it security-wise, they operate it completely everything-wise.
Shaw plugs it in and fires up a BGP session. Shaw can see how much traffic is going in to and out of the boxes, and that's about it.
Google handles everything to do with the operation of it, even so far as to deciding what percentage of Shaw users get pointed to it, and for what services.

A lot of people have experienced issues caused by these caches, but I'd be more inclined to lay blame for that on Google.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
Co-located is the proper term I think...

Just the same if I put my server in a Shaw data center, it is still my server, I'm the only one with access to it...
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter

1 edit
reply to rotohoto
said by rotohoto:

I guess you could argue from a policy standpoint it's Shaw's fault...

flipping through the linked firefox forum thread, seems people are having issues getting to default encrypted facebook as well, plus some other encrypted sites.

The firefox fix is turning down the encryption strength. Real bad fix.

[sarcasm] Probably just Canada's NSA(CSEC) putting in new keys for homeland-insecurity or maybe a transparent proxy.

edit: the firefox mozilla thread replies say is now fixed....

--
Knowledge and curiosity are not crimes and those who are curious should not be treated like criminals.. »www.eff.org/https-everywhere

Amar

join:2001-07-20
Surrey, BC
reply to tlhIngan
I can confirm that things are working as expected now.

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
reply to tlhIngan
Wasn't just me. Good. Notice this problem at least once a month. Thought it was a rootkit or something at first. Also happened on my Android phone running Firefox. Switching to Telus soon for unrelated reasons.

Shaw250

@shawcable.net
Wouldn't using a better DNS provider fix this? Why would anyone use Shaw's DNS...

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
No. No matter what DNS you use. I use a bunch including UBC and Level3 and this still happened for me.