uniqs

Charliebrown5
Smile Its Nearly Friday
Premium Member
join:2001-07-17
Australia

Charliebrown5

Premium Member

[Retouch] Looking for some ideas about what to do with this.

Looking for some ideas as to what to do with this, I love this building and have started playing with some B&W at night. Feel free to have a play with it.

If you want to have a go with the RAW image let me know and i'll upload

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
28mm 13s F8 ISO100

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

1 edit

SueS

Premium Member

I am not getting any kind of message from the photo. What was your intent? The poles and lights lead our eyes to nothing. We need something to focus on. It does look like it might be an interesting building, but we the viewer need something more. I am sorry, because I don't think this is what you wanted to hear, and is just my opinion, so take it for what you think it is worth.
29886823 (banned)
join:2005-03-29

1 recommendation

29886823 (banned) to Charliebrown5

to Charliebrown5
Click for full size
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
28mm 13s F8 ISO100

I tend to agree with SueS. I think this is the kind of image that she would call a documentary image, without any artistic component. I did however crop it and increased the contrast, and I think it looks a bit better.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

1 recommendation

DownTheShore to Charliebrown5

Premium Member

to Charliebrown5
Just playing with something different:

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
28mm 13s F8 ISO100

Charliebrown5
Smile Its Nearly Friday
Premium Member
Australia

Charliebrown5

Premium Member

Thanks for the comments and the edits, The problem i have is that yes i do like this building however some of the images i like as you have pointed out dont seem to have any real focal point in them. another in my gallery is here which is from a different angle. »/showp ··· 8863&1=1

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

1 recommendation

SueS

Premium Member

I like the photo you have posted in the gallery.

Some thoughts I have about shooting architecture are that it is hard to make them interesting. I think you can zero in on small things and make the photo more about geometry or get back a long way and make it stand out in a cityscape. For the geometry type shots composition is extremely important to make the shot work.

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA

1 edit

1 recommendation

GeekGirl1 to Charliebrown5

Premium Member

to Charliebrown5
Click for full size
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
28mm 13s F8 ISO100

I like working with geometry. As SueS says, composition is important.

Here's my version: Crop for posting (1024 on the longest side), then use the rule of thirds to put the street light flare on the bottom right intersection of the grid.

I think you get a better sense of purpose, in that it's not overwhelming with distracting content (the dark areas). The rule of thirds is what I try first and it seems to work here.

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

1 recommendation

SueS

Premium Member

You did the geometry right, the building is not as important as I think was the intention, but I like it. I might do some burning on the stair rails so they don't get in the way. Nice work

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA

2 recommendations

GeekGirl1 to Charliebrown5

Premium Member

to Charliebrown5
Click for full size
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
15mm 6s F5 ISO100

said by Charliebrown5:

Thanks for the comments and the edits, The problem i have is that yes i do like this building however some of the images i like as you have pointed out dont seem to have any real focal point in them. another in my gallery is here which is from a different angle. »/showp ··· 8863&1=1

Here's your gallery picture using the rule of thirds. In this case, I couldn't find anything to align with an intersection (like the street light flare).

As an alternate approach, I used the columns and put one on the edge of the picture, the 2nd column is sitting on the left-side "1/3" grid line.

Sorry for cutting out your watermark, but this is how I see the image.
29886823 (banned)
join:2005-03-29

29886823 (banned) to Charliebrown5

to Charliebrown5

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
28mm 13s F8 ISO100

For this image I think less is more. Here's another version.

Charliebrown5
Smile Its Nearly Friday
Premium Member
Australia

Charliebrown5 to GeekGirl1

Premium Member

to GeekGirl1
Thanks for the advice and edits, One reason i like coming here, always knowledge available when asked for. Thanks guys and girls.

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

jvmorris to Charliebrown5

MVM

to Charliebrown5
Just ran across a different take on a similar scene in the first photo at »digital-photography-scho ··· at-night . Transposing the shot to your scene, the suggestion would be shoot from a lower vertical location, angle up and to the left (or right, if you move the camera to the left). Possibly a shorter focal length, if you can manage that with your equipment, and get the structure in the lower right completely out of the frame.

To be honest about it, I would probably have shot the scene very much as you did, but this alternative gets rid of all the nice verticals and (I think) tends to lead the eye in towards a more distinct (and more emphatic) vanishing point. And admittedly this might not work at all for your architecture.

Try wandering about a bit while viewing the scene exclusively through the viewfinder. (For some reason I can't adequately explain, I often find the scene looks different when I concentrate on looking through the viewfinder.) Oh, . . . and try not to trip and fall down the stairs.

Charliebrown5
Smile Its Nearly Friday
Premium Member
Australia

Charliebrown5

Premium Member

stairs wouldn't be the problem, the water to the left just out of frame would be more of a concern.

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

Aha! So, you're not one of those photographers who can walk on water?

Charliebrown5
Smile Its Nearly Friday
Premium Member
Australia

Charliebrown5

Premium Member

i wish, would give me the perfect vantage point, tried some long exposures from a boat but was a total loss before i even got started..