Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter

Re: CRTC -Lets talk

said by Thane_Bitter:

That pisses me off, and despite living in the 10th largest city in Canada you will not find any OTA CBC signals here. The mandate of CBC is to broadcast to the public, forcing would be watchers to pay for cable/sat in order to watch something they paid for is absurd, and violates their charter as a broadcaster.

The private broadcasters upgraded to digital, CBC just pulled the plug on theirs but kept receiving its public funding.

I'm not defending their actions,but it's about cost, as their funding keeps getting reduced, something has to give. If you read the resolutions that passed at the CPC convention, it's only going to get worse.

Private broadcasters (which are owned by those same satellite/cable companies) are also turning off their OTA transmitters instead of converting to digital again, due to cost(and it's a bonus for them since you are now forced to pay for some for of delivery service).

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Costs that the CBC refuses to show to the public.
I am sorry but they can't be a publicly funded private broadcaster.

En Enfer
This account has been compromised
join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC

En Enfer to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I'm not defending their actions, but it's about cost, as their funding keeps getting reduced, something has to give. If you read the resolutions that passed at the CPC convention, it's only going to get worse.

In the 70's and 80's, it made sense to plant many OTA transmitters in communities of 3000+ residents. Transmitters in bigger markets had higher power.

Unlike analog, digital transmitters need lower power for the same contour and allow digital sub-channels.
The questionnable part is how the CBC handled the situation as they don't give a damn.

For example, Quebec City have access to CBC since 1957 (from CKMI, then CBVE), they have shut down the analog transmitter, then they reduced both CBC and SRC to 720p with a 15 Mbps bitrate. CBVT-DT have plenty of free bandwidth to add CBMT-DT in standard definition as a sub-channel. Better than nothing.

Repeat for Calgary, adding CBXFT-DT (SRC Edmonton) as a SD subchannel to CBRT-DT (CBC Calgary)...

London still have its CBC tower up and running for CBL-FM. the market size is not negligeable to afford a CBLT-DT repeater with a CBLFT-DT subchannel...
said by elwoodblues:

Private broadcasters (which are owned by those same satellite/cable companies) are also turning off their OTA transmitters instead of converting to digital again, due to cost.

Example please ?

Shaw Media is converting many Global transmitters to digital and stated their commitment in a CRTC decision.
Bell Media satisfied itself with converting stations in mandatory markets, but other stations are still in SD such as Sydney, Red Deer, North Bay, Yorkton, Timmins... but I don't see any shutdown.