uniqs
share rss forum feed

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

1 edit

[Content] The possibility of having NFL Sunday Ticket on Comcast?

Re: »NFL Sunday ticket

Regarding the rumors that DirecTV was considering dropping its exclusive contract with the NFL when it next expires in 2015:

DIRECTV Speaks Out On NFL Ticket, 4K TV & More!
By Phillip Swann, TVPredictions.com - November 6, 2013
»www.tvpredictions.com/directv110613.htm

quote:

DIRECTV executives yesterday held a conference call with Wall Street analysts following release of the [3rd quarter earnings] report. In the conference, DIRECTV addressed such hot topics as whether it will keep the NFL Sunday Ticket after the 2014 season ....
:
NFL Sunday Ticket
DIRECTV reportedly is being challenged for the exclusive right to carry the NFL Sunday Ticket after the 2014 season; Google and others are supposedly interested in the pay package of games. But CEO Mike White expressed strong optimism that DIRECTV would keep the Ticket for years to come.

"Next year is the 20th anniversary of our NFL-DIRECTV partnership. And certainly speaking on my behalf and DIRECTV's behalf, we don't want it to be our last," White said. "And I know that speculation can make for exciting for headlines, but the reality is we are having good talks with the NFL, and those talks are progressing. I continue to be optimistic we will get an exclusive deal done, but deals like this increasingly in this world are complicated and not just about economics. They take some time to work through, but we continue to be focused on growing the NFL Sunday Ticket business beyond what it is today. And as I said, I'm very optimistic that we will continue that partnership."

EDIT: Some earlier articles about this on the TVPredictions.com site: »www.tvpredictions.com/google101813.htm

Comcast Guy

join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA

There is a big flaw with the NFL Sunday Ticket that is arising these days. I have had it since 2000 (Atlanta fan living in PA) and it used to be a fantastic deal. I believe it used to be $199. Fast forward to 2012 and it cost me about $400. Now, I am all for paying for it, except that the number of games that you get now are dwindling fast. Thursday Night, 3 local games, Sunday night, and Monday night take over 1/3 of the games off the Ticket. Now there is talk of Saturday Night games, which further dilutes the value.

I think the idea of getting the Ticket is great and all, but the overall value of it has decreased a lot in the past 5 years. They (finally) gave me the Ticket for free this year, but I was considering not paying for it because it just wasn't as good as it used to be. Add in the amount of times the Falcons were on locally and nationally this year, and it was going to be a tough choice for me.

That said, without HD feeds for each game right now, it would be pretty worthless (although I am 100% sure they would work that out somehow).

Acct101
Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

I think the other flaw is that for $400, you basically get 6 hours of football a week. It's only for one day. Unlike the other sports packages, you get games every night which makes the package more enticing.

PaulHikeS2

join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA
reply to Comcast Guy

Wow...so expensive. At $400.00 if you are getting it for your own team's games, you are paying $26.67/game at best as it covers at most 15 games for a given team. Wow.
--
Jay: What the @#$% is the internet???

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

It's sounding even more unlikely now that DirecTV will be giving up their exclusive contract:

DirecTV CEO Michael White talks Sunday Ticket, SEC Network and the sports media landscape
By Christopher Botta, Sports Business Daily - November 13, 2013
»www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-B···ape.aspx

quote:
Of course, what everyone wanted was an update on negotiations between DirecTV and the NFL for future seasons of Sunday Ticket. “We’re talking lots of money here, so these things take time,” said White. “I’m optimistic that we'll get an exclusive deal done. There are always complications with a deal of this size, like with digital rights. We’re a good partner. We want to continue to build the franchise.”

White explained why the NFL-DirecTV relationship is a mutually-beneficial partnership. “We’ve got two million subscribers that pay for Sunday Ticket, so that’s good for the NFL,” said White. “The highest-rated content of any kind these days is sports. Being linked with the NFL differentiates us from the rest of the competition.”

Comcast Guy

Harrisburg, PA
reply to PaulHikeS2

said by PaulHikeS2:

Wow...so expensive. At $400.00 if you are getting it for your own team's games, you are paying $26.67/game at best as it covers at most 15 games for a given team. Wow.

Yeah and being a Falcons fan, they had 5 games that were on nationally that year. So it came out to almost $40 per game. Now, most people fish for deals or whatever, but I did not and got hosed. I'd venture to say that most people on auto-renew paid whatever the full price is.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

Google Chairman Eric Schmidt says that if Google were to provide NFL Sunday Ticket using streaming, rather than using standard video channels, that it wouldn't prevent obtaining the rights to it:

Google chairman: Internet can handle NFL live streaming
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - November 25, 2013
»www.fiercecable.com/story/google···13-11-25

quote:
The National Football League could use the Internet to stream live games, but whether the nation's most popular sport moves to virtual distribution is "completely a business issue," Google Chairman Eric Schmidt said Friday.
:
Schmidt's remarks, in response to a question from BTIG analyst Rich Greenfield, came three months after Google CEO Larry Page held a meeting with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell that reportedly included discussion about Google acquiring the "NFL Sunday Ticket" subscription video package.

DirecTV's exclusive "Sunday Ticket" distribution contract, which costs it about $1 billion annually, expires at the end of the 2014 season.

Greenfield said in a research note on Friday that it's only a matter of time until Google or another major tech company acquires a "meaningful package of sports rights."

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

good luck having streaming work in all of the sports bars that have directv right now.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

It's sounding even more unlikely now that DirecTV will be giving up their exclusive contract:

DirecTV CEO Michael White talks Sunday Ticket, SEC Network and the sports media landscape
By Christopher Botta, Sports Business Daily - November 13, 2013
»www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-B···ape.aspx

quote:
Of course, what everyone wanted was an update on negotiations between DirecTV and the NFL for future seasons of Sunday Ticket. “We’re talking lots of money here, so these things take time,” said White. “I’m optimistic that we'll get an exclusive deal done. There are always complications with a deal of this size, like with digital rights. We’re a good partner. We want to continue to build the franchise.”

White explained why the NFL-DirecTV relationship is a mutually-beneficial partnership. “We’ve got two million subscribers that pay for Sunday Ticket, so that’s good for the NFL,” said White. “The highest-rated content of any kind these days is sports. Being linked with the NFL differentiates us from the rest of the competition.”

Oh well, it's not looking good at all now for Comcast getting it:

Exclusive: NFL, DirecTV agree to framework for Sunday Ticket deal
By Ronald Grover and Liana B. Baker, Reuters - December 12, 2013
»www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/···20131212
quote:
The National Football League and DirecTV have agreed on a framework for negotiations to renew the satellite TV operator's contract to offer the popular NFL Sunday Ticket football package the company uses to attract subscribers, according to two sources with knowledge of the talks.

The two sides "are still in material negotiations," but extended their exclusive negotiating period to work through the remaining issues, according to one of the people. The talks might still not result in an agreement.

EDIT: Also: »DirecTV, NFL Close to Renewing Exclusive Deal

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

well I guess this means that sunday ticket stays on directv for a while longer.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
kudos:1
reply to telcodad

Don't know if this helps anyone or not - What you can do is order DTV With one receiver to be installed July 2014 - (Order NFL sunday Ticket) If your a New SUb thay throw the first season free. Then december 30 2014 Call and Suspend your Service Effect Jan 1st 2015 - Then June 29 2015 Call and Activate your service and sunday ticket. DTV allows all customers to suspend service 6 months .

Just a thought for those of interest

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

Oh well, it's not looking good at all now for Comcast getting it:

Exclusive: NFL, DirecTV agree to framework for Sunday Ticket deal
By Ronald Grover and Liana B. Baker, Reuters - December 12, 2013
»www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/···20131212

EDIT: Also: »DirecTV, NFL Close to Renewing Exclusive Deal

Getting even closer to a deal now:

NFL: We Expect To Renew Sunday Ticket With DIRECTV
By Phillip Swann, TVPredictions.com - July 21, 2014
»www.tvpredictions.com/tv072014.htm

Acct101
Premium
Bensalem, PA
reply to telcodad

If we were ever lucky enough to have Sunday Ticket, it probably not be in HD. None of our sports packages are in HD.

Hooper
Premium
join:2001-10-22
Castle Rock, CO
reply to telcodad

You forgot to link to the post where AT&T said they wouldn't acquire Directv without Sunday ticket.

»www.latimes.com/entertainment/en···ory.html

Acct101
Premium
Bensalem, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·T-Mobile US
reply to telcodad

Looks like we'll be able to get the Sunday ticket package without having DirecTV. Pricy though.

»appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/···n-needed

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west

double post
--
Caddy

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Acct101

said by Acct101:

Looks like we'll be able to get the Sunday ticket package without having DirecTV. Pricy though.

That is only available if you live in a apartment housing or attend certain colleges. I have checked that out 2 weeks ago. I can not get it because I am live in a single unit house and do not attend any college. That sucks I can not get Directv because of the trees blocks the line of sight.
--
Caddy
--
Caddy

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

said by Caddyroger:

said by Acct101:

That is only available if you live in a apartment housing or attend certain colleges.

Yes:

NFL Sunday Ticket expands, but there's a catch
By Eli Blumenthal, USA TODAY - July 17, 2014
»www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014···2752745/

Acct101
Premium
Bensalem, PA
reply to telcodad

Select colleges? Why?

Sounds like grounds for lawsuit.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

said by Acct101:

Select colleges? Why?

Those are just the colleges DirecTV has "partnered with."

See: »No, DirecTV Hasn't Changed NFL Sunday Ticket Policies

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

Getting even closer to a deal now:

NFL: We Expect To Renew Sunday Ticket With DIRECTV
By Phillip Swann, TVPredictions.com - July 21, 2014
»www.tvpredictions.com/tv072014.htm

Oh well, it looks like 8 more years until Comcast can possibly get it now: »DirecTV, NFL Renew Sunday Ticket Exclusive Deal

Also:

DirecTV Scores Eight-Year Sunday Ticket Renewal
Deal May Be Worth As Much as $12B

By Mike Reynolds, Multichannel News - October 1, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/news/conten···l/384352

Dan A

join:2008-01-03
Kendall Park, NJ

Does the deal include distribution on DirecTV's soon to be sister provider AT&T Uverse?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

said by Dan A:

Does the deal include distribution on DirecTV's soon to be sister provider AT&T Uverse?

That's not clear right now, but I would assume that was part of the deal.

From the MCN article:
quote:
It was unclear at presstime if the pact would extend to AT&T U-verse customers, but presumably it does. The telco has a clause built into its proposal to buy DirecTV that would enable it to back out of the $48.5 billion deal, if the satellite leader didn’t come to terms with the NFL on a renewal.

Should the proposed union pass regulatory muster, Sunday Ticket might be available to some 26 million residential homes on a linear basis, up from DirecTV's current count of 20 million. Industry estimates peg DirecTV's residential Sunday Ticket roster at some 2 million.

The NFL deferred questions about AT&T to DirecTV, which could not be reached by presstime.

Comcast Guy

Harrisburg, PA
reply to telcodad

I am really surprised the NFL has not tried to open this up to as many subscribers as possible. Considering that they want to expand the season and they want to expand to London, I never understood why they'd want to limit their income/eyeballs/advertising range from this product.

That said...looks like 8 more years on DTV in addition to cable for me. I will have paid for Sunday Ticket for 22 years by that time for the privilege of watching the Falcons in PA.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

Well there's plenty of ways to get their streaming service, GamePass, if you want (it's $130 or less now). VPNs, DNS changers, proxies etc. Every game, no blackouts. Decent HD quality too, up to 4.5mb IIRC.

Comcast Guy

Harrisburg, PA

said by GTFan:

Well there's plenty of ways to get their streaming service, GamePass, if you want (it's $130 or less now). VPNs, DNS changers, proxies etc. Every game, no blackouts. Decent HD quality too, up to 4.5mb IIRC.

I may actually do the unthinkable next season and change my service address to a friend's house in Atlanta.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

in this day and age the nfl should be thinking of ways to get sunday tickets on mobile devices for everyone not just directv subscribers. Would be shocked if the deal doesn't include mobile streaming of games for everyone.
Also how does this deal affect the nfl deal with verizon wireless? Will the nfl have a deal with att wireless now in addition to verizon wireless or will they end the deal with verizon wireless?