Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ivordurham

join:2002-11-02
Los Altos, CA
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..

IPv6 adapter for device that only supports IPv4?

Does anyone know of a software protocol translator that I could use on, say, a dual-stack Windows or Linux box to enable an IPv4-only Foscam wireless webcam to connect to an IPv6 network? I only need a one-to-one bridge, not general routing/NAT services. It only needs HTTP/RTP/RTSP application protocols involving two ports to be passed through.

The underlying problem is that the network with the camera is connected to the Internet via HughesNet satellite because of its remote location. The installation got upgraded a while ago to their faster "Gen4" service, but with that we lost the ability to have a public IP address which could be port-forwarded to the camera. Gen4 does however support IPv6, but Foscam apparently has no IPv6 firmware upgrade on the horizon. So to get the camera accessible again I need a path between IPv4 and IPv6 for just the one device. Am I missing an obvious solution to this problem? (I am exploring the open source iSpy surveillance software, but don't yet see a trivial path to get the camera's video data stream from iSpy.)

quesix

join:2005-12-19
Cary, IL

1 recommendation

the dual stack device would need to be at the remote location and use NAT64/DNS64 protocols to convert/pass incoming IPv6 connection to IPv4 only camera. I'm snot sure there is any easy to follow guides but searching "linux NAT64 DNS64" on gogole produces several results that may be helpful. Client will need to use DNS hostname to access device with basic NAT64/DNS64 i believe. Also not sure how well these will work with non-static addressing (since your use static private for IPv4, just make sure to use UPS to minimize how often you have to go into relay to reconfigure). Can be configure on newer/upgraded Cisco routers as well.

p.s. caveat, i have yet to use NAT64/DNS64 myself... Although i have setup basic 6to4 anycast server on a high end cisco router and Teredo relay on a BSD box, to serve users on those protocols from our native IPv6 network.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

3 recommendations

reply to ivordurham

Try setting up a proxy server (e.g. open source proxy "squid") to listen on IPv6 and configure it to permit access to your Foscam camera (via IPv4) on the local network.

Care must be taken to get the configuration of the proxy correct or you will expose your entire LAN to the Internet! Beware that your configuration will be reverse from the way a proxy is normally configured.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

1 recommendation

reply to ivordurham

Linux and 6tunnel might be of help.

ivordurham

Los Altos, CA
reply to ivordurham

I have just now got a separate Linux system set up on an old PC with which to experiment with these helpful suggestions. I will report back as soon as I know what works and what doesn't. Thank you.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:77
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to leibold

said by leibold:

Try setting up a proxy server (e.g. open source proxy "squid") to listen on IPv6 and configure it to permit access to your Foscam camera (via IPv4) on the local network.

I have used Apache myself.. look up "reverse proxy apache" »geronimo.apache.org/GMOxDOC11/co···oxy.html
--
Comcaster.. Network Engineer with NETO

ivordurham

Los Altos, CA
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..

3 recommendations

reply to ivordurham

Re: [SOLVED] IPv6 adapter for device that only supports IPv4?

The solution is to use wrapsix (www.wrapsix.org) to implement NAT64 on a Linux system on the same network as the camera. Configuration is easy and worked right away! Simply use the IPv4 device address wrapped with your chosen IPv6 /96 prefix to access the device via IPv6 (RFC 3056). You can use the special notation 2001:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::192.168.0.yyy which combines the IPv6 prefix with the IPv4 address.

Tried Tayga's NAT64 implementation, but couldn't get the IPv6 addresses routed for some reason.

Can't believe it took me this long to sort this out, but it works beautifully.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:77

Ok I will need to try this..