spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ez2cy

join:2008-03-05

VisualBee

Girlfriend somehow got VisualBee? toolbar. Can not get rid of it. Says to go to Control Panel, uninstall, but it's not listed. I did it once, but still there, on browser, not in Control Panel.

Find it under C: progams....but wont let me delete it.

Also run Spybot S&D get Win32.Downloader.gen that it can't get rid of. Tried twice and had Spybot run on restart as suggested.

How do I get rid of?

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

There are specific instrucions on removal by MS here: »www.visualbee.com/uninstall-visu···int.html

It is not listed as malware however if you also have that you may want to visit here: »Security Cleanup FAQ »Mandatory Steps Before Requesting Assistance

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..
reply to ez2cy

I have found that Revco uninstaller will find and remove stuff that the Windows uninstaller can not and much more thoroughly.

»www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni···oad.html

TonyKlein
Premium
join:2001-07-02
Netherlands
reply to ez2cy

It usually comes bundled with third party freeware, or as part of an adware bundle. I you have that, there will usually be more.

As dandelion already said, the sensible thing to do is visit the Security Cleanup forum for a thorough checkup.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
reply to rfhar

I have found Geek Uninstaller, »www.geekuninstaller.com/, to do a great job and with an entire program, not leaving bits and pieces to do by hand, too.

Parad0X787
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
Premium
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

Could NOT see,the cost PRO version {geekuninstaller} ??? I used many years REVOunintaller_PRO & very satisfied with the ability to clean-up all left over registries with all redudant files

TonyKlein
Premium
join:2001-07-02
Netherlands

2 edits

2 recommendations

reply to ez2cy

In a case like this, uninstallers are next to useless. First of all, you'd have to know WHAT to uninstall: adware/malware don't always put a convenient uninstaller in Programs and Features, as their purpose usually is to be conspicuous only by the popups or adverts they produce...

Even if there's an uninstall entry present, you shouldn't count on it to do a 100% thorough job, as indeed is the case with legitimate software as well. No uninstaller, except an install monitor like Ashampoo that actually tracks file and registry changes as they are created is really worth its salt. Also remember that, even if after running an uninstaller to clean up traces, a registry search no longer produces hits for, for say, 'VisualBee', that by no means tells you that you are clean. There might be scores of related Reg keys and values left that don't include a reference to the name itself. In short: uninstallers give you a false sense of security.

What I'd do is first run MBAM, and then a tool/tools like AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool. After al they specialize in removing malware/adware. Even after that, go to Security Cleanup for a check-up to make sure that no (traces of) malware remain behind.

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ez2cy

i also like malwaretip's tip to "reset" a browser's default settings, to restore the default search-engine:

»malwaretips.com/blogs/visualbee-···removal/

tony, it is good to see you in the forum

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
reply to Parad0X787

Nor I the Pro version, but thus far, I haven't found a need for it.