Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-19
The Ocean
kudos:4
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

[OT] PC Noise

Hi Folks,

I have a question that I thought I'd post here first. I know we have some good techies in our crew

Here's my concern: when my HD starts up (at least I *think* it's the HD), it makes a noise like an airplane taking off. The thing is, I'm not certain it's my HD because I've also been getting a warning that my fan speed is too slow. So far, I've opened the case and cleaned out all the dust bunnies with compressed air. Then I backed up my HD. Additionally, I replaced the fan about a year ago. Do you think this is really a fan issue or perhaps my HD is about to fail? HD is about 5 years old (which is about the *mean* fail time for HD's.)

Suggestions/advice welcome!
--
~Team Discovery~

glennaxl
Premium
join:2007-02-16
Zion
kudos:1

1 recommendation

I have a hard drive that sounded like a jet plane taking off.

The only way to make sure its the HD is to test it.
I use a SATA to USB (»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 12232033) then plug it in a silent pc.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Dolphin
Hopefully the loud noise isn't turning into one that clicks.

I still say this lil device does wonders (more than any $5 can of air I've bought)
»[OT] Best thing since sliced bread

Open the case again - you should be able to determine where the noise is coming from.

If you believe it a fan isse..there's a terrific app called SpeedFan
»www.almico.com/speedfan.php - they update their list of supported mobos often - and the developer responds to emails
--
~Safe Hex~ Team Discovery ~ Project Hope ~ Like A Hurricane~

Dolphin
RIP lilhurricane
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-19
The Ocean
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to Dolphin
Thanks for the advice/resources! I think you're right, Lisa -- I'll hafta open the case again. I'm leaning toward thinking it's the fan. I'll need to wait though because the rooms in my home is still in chaos from putting in new floors (never knew THAT was so much work!)
--
~Team Discovery~

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
join:2004-05-06
Cypress, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 recommendations

Over the last 20 years I've heard that noise more times than I'd like, 90% of the time it is a fan. That's why I've sorta learned over the years to never turn anything off, seems like everything lasts much longer that way.. Good luck with that and I hope it's nothing major.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to glennaxl
said by glennaxl:

I use a SATA to USB (»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 12232033) then plug it in a silent pc.

MgKnight See Profile gave me one like that once.
Also a great tool to have on hand..thanks for reminding me to clean out my supply closet
--
~Safe Hex~ Team Discovery ~ Project Hope ~ Like A Hurricane~

bbrcat
Cancer Sucks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-09
NH
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Dolphin
Save for Lisa's clicking mention, fans are cheap and easy to replace,,,good luck Jacqui
--
Team
Discovery

syslock
Premium
join:2007-02-03
La La Land
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to lilhurricane
said by lilhurricane:

I still say this lil device does wonders (more than any $5 can of air I've bought)

I have wanted one of those in forever. I gotta get one. lol