join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

1 edit

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Google Play Store v4.4.21 Draining Battery On GS4 [solved]

I have an S4, and ever since the Play Store was updated to the current version (4.4.21), my battery has been draining a lot faster than before. When I look at Battery Usage, 'Google Services' is using the battery the most (sometimes over 50% even when the phone has been pretty much idle).

Anyone else having this experience? Or a solution other than waiting for a newer version of the Play Store from Google?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Re: Google Play Store v4.4.21 Draining Battery On GS4

Do you have location enabled? Try disabling it in the google settings app and see if things improve.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks, I'll try that and see if it helps. I do like to keep the location setting enabled though, for it works pretty well with other Google and non Google apps and makes things easier.

So you don't think that the problem is the new version of the Play Store? I Googled the issue and what I saw seemed to lead to the Play Store. Here is a thread where the problem was solved with an update to the Play Store:

»forum.xda-developers.com ··· =2378962

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Don't think so, as the versions of the play store are different. There WAS an issue with a version a little while back that was fixed, though.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I posted the link to the thread only as an analogy, since the OP in that thread had the same problem that I am experiencing. The Play Store version in the thread is a completely different version than mine.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

It's certainly possible. You could get an app like wakelock detector or better battery stats and see what partial and kernel wakelocks are present?

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks. I'll check out those apps.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
Google services is a pretty general category as I have found, and may not be the Play Store. That seems to crop up on my S4 from time to time, a reboot seems to shut it down. As pflog said try Wake Lock Detector, I also use Greenify as well to quiet down anything going nuts.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks. I've tried rebooting a number of times but that doesn't help. I read that the S4 on AT&T is supposed to get 4.3 very soon, and I'm hoping that helps.

Macy
South Of Insanity
MVM,
join:2001-12-02
Pink Beanbag

Macy

MVM,

I had the same thing happen to me (samsung galaxy s4) about a week or so ago. I first thought it was the Play Store that was causing the battery drain but for me it turned out to be the Samsung Push service. I uninstalled the latest update but have now disabled the service and my battery life is back to normal.

On a side note, Play Store is showing to be using 56% of the battery but with Samsung Push disabled, I am showing 82% left on battery after 22 hours. Last week my battery was draining in less than 12 hours.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Doesn't Samsung Push need to be enabled for updates? Or maybe I am not correct?

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

Hall to lordpuffer

MVM

to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

I look at Battery Usage, 'Google Services' is using the battery the most

Go into Settings, Apps, and clear data for Google Play Store, Google Play services, and any of the other Google Play entries since you're there. There's no harm or risk in doing this !. The next time you access one of those apps, it will simply prompt you to login again (if you have multiple Google accounts on your phone) or if there's just one account, nothing more than re-agreeing to the T&C. You won't lose your apps, even paid ones. Worst case you will have to re-configure any settings you may have changed from the default settings.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks Hall....I'll try that.

Macy
South Of Insanity
MVM,
Pink Beanbag

Macy to lordpuffer

MVM,

to lordpuffer
I think it does.
I was planning on letting it update this week and see what happens but I've been sick and have just left it disabled for now.

I also disabled a few of the google play services that were running as Hall See Profile suggested but nothing worked until I disabled the Push service. For me the battery drain just started around Wednesday or Thursday of last week and on Sunday I gave up and disabled the Push service until I can figure out what's going on.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Clear data != disable

Macy
South Of Insanity
MVM,
Pink Beanbag

Macy

MVM,

Thanks Hall, I'll give that a try too.

mastsethi
join:2012-05-26

mastsethi to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
Don't always kill the programs running in the background. They will start running again and that backfires. I have learned that these battery saver apps should be avoided.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

If you avoided battery saver apps, then how you'd know what is using battery and how to prevent them from doing so?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to mastsethi

Premium Member

to mastsethi
Depends on the type. Juice Defender is a great app.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall to OZO

MVM

to OZO
said by OZO:

If you avoided battery saver apps, then how you'd know what is using battery and how to prevent them from doing so?

Ummm, Settings, Battery
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

With Android 2.2 it's not working at all. There is absolutely no way to find out the bugger, that may start to discharge battery quite fast.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to mastsethi

Premium Member

to mastsethi
said by mastsethi:

Don't always kill the programs running in the background. They will start running again and that backfires. I have learned that these battery saver apps should be avoided.

That's also true IMO. I used battery saver apps years ago at the beginning of Androids and just had problems. I'm still hoping that Hall is right about clearing the data (Google Services did go down to about 47% so far) or that 4.3 will help when it's pushed out by AT&T.
lordpuffer

1 recommendation

lordpuffer to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
Update! Google Services is no longer draining the battery, and is at only 8% usage. The only thing I can think of is that clearing the data worked. Thanks Hall See Profile!

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

1 recommendation

GadgetsRme to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
I use Clean Master to keep apps from misbehaving like this. It works quite well to keep apps from running excessively and thus using to much power and memory. As you use it it will put an icon on the main screen that is a one touch optimizer and is quick and simple to use. It also give you a periodic reminder to use the full program to further optimze your device. I have this on my S3 and my Toshiba Thrive.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by GadgetsRme:

I use Clean Master to keep apps from misbehaving like this.

Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to GadgetsRme

Premium Member

to GadgetsRme
I use it as well, great app.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium Member
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

ARGONAUT to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
Have you tried 4.4.22 ?
»www.androidpolice.com/20 ··· -4-4-22/

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by ARGONAUT:

Have you tried 4.4.22 ?
»www.androidpolice.com/20 ··· -4-4-22/

Thanks, but everything is working so well now that I better stay at 4.4.21. The drain started happening about the time when I got 4.4.21, and I still think that is the culprit, however clearing the data fixed the problem.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
said by OZO:

Gee maybe look at the battery section of of the settings app, which shows which are using what.
Hayward0

Hayward0 to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
Wow no offense but people still using 2.2 not even 2.3 devices.
said by OZO:

With Android 2.2 it's not working at all. There is absolutely no way to find out the bugger, that may start to discharge battery quite fast.