darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

[FiOS] [TV] Anyone contemplating leaving?

It's stuff like »Comcast's Xfinity to Go App Adds Live Streaming [12] comments and their new DVR/X1 and the fact that Frontier FiOS dropped NHL that has got me wondering why I stay with Frontier for TV exactly.

Anyone else considering a move to Comcast? If not, why not?

I know I would want to keep Frontier for Internet so I supposed I might end up paying more each month but that just might be acceptable at this point, if it means I get more than I have now.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I don't care about those features really myself, but those who want to just watch a show in another room without a cable box can just use a computer/etc. It can be a nice feature.

Frontier has made their tv product undesirable, and removed features. There seems to be no real future for their tv services, especially upgrades.

You might as well get comcast now, but make sure you get a two year price, none of this six month pricing with a two year contract bull.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Actually, Comcast is now streaming 35 channels live remotely now (outside the home, per the link I posted).

Good reminder about the 2-year price lock versus the 6 month. I get mailings almost weekly from Comcast so I"m sure I can catch one
EdmondsFios
join:2010-09-02
Edmonds, WA

1 edit

EdmondsFios to darcilicious

to darcilicious
I considered it. Comcast is only as good as the local office that supports your address. The office servicing Edmonds, WA is impossible to deal with. You can never get the same answer twice when dealing with them. They came through our neighborhood and gave everyone the moon for $89 for a year. Every person I know who signed up went back to Frontier Fios at the end of the year. Picture quality and speed consistency were the main issues and Fios was better. Apparently the phone service is about the same but most of my neighbors just use a cell phone or Ooma.

One last item: People, in my area, thought the price increases and nit-pick add on charges were just unacceptable. Yes, Comcast does innovate and yes, I am a shareholder and yes, life is better without them.

I have a Tivo with 157 HD hours of recording capability and I don't have a problem with the DVR. My wife uses the Fios DVR and thinks 20 hours of recording time is plenty and does not want to change to anything else so it is not an issue.

mugd
@bpa.gov

mugd

Anon

The comcast x1 service is beta at best, lots off issues that are not resolved yet. Comcast basically gave up on my deployment so I had to return my equipment... I'd been a comcast customer for years without any issues so I was very suprised they could not get X1 fixed for me. The x1 looks so much better then frontier in terms of a gui but the resultant video was not as good. Hope both comcast and frontier get the stuff working better competition is alway good. My fear is that frontier is going to drop fios all together.

pdxhz
@frontiernet.net

pdxhz to darcilicious

Anon

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Anyone else considering a move to Comcast? If not, why not?

Considering/contemplating: Yes, Leaving for Comcast: No, at least not yet.

Reasons: Superior Fios TV picture quality, Solid internet connection and speeds (35/35 plan).

I definitely understand frustrations with DVR, as my neighbor finally had enough and moved to Comcast. I use a HTPC and cablecard. For me loss of on-demand is not a big enough issue to warrant dumping Fios. Plan to ride this to the bitter end, if it comes to that, and still hoping "vidvid" will post some good news for the loyal Fios users who are "hanging in there" !!!
cruzer856
join:2012-07-05

cruzer856

I've really thought about it as well, but I just can't. Comcast definitely offers more current technology, but my parents have had so many issues with their billing (random price increases, errors, etc) that I don't want to deal with.

Most importantly, I just don't want to deal with data caps. This is the real deal breaker for me.

I probably don't use 300GB a month, but subscribing to a service without data caps means more to me than more TV options.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

I'd like to point out that I'm only interested in the TV service from Comcast; I am not about to give up my rock-steady 25/25 Internet connection anytime soon (as in: never ) Several people have mentioned the Internet side of Comcast and I can safely say I have zero interest in that.