uniqs
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

780ti specs confirmed.

Found this on reddit build a pc.

This card is clocked at 876 / 928 / 7000 MHz, which are stock clocks for this model. Card is equipped with 3GB GDDR5 memory and 384-bit bus. The GeForce GTX 780 Ti has 2880 CUDA cores, which basically means we are looking at so-called GTX TITAN ULTRA.

Gigabyte also released some official performance figures. In 3Dmark 11 the GTX 780 Ti is actually slower than GTX 780 GHz edition (0,13% difference) and R9 290X (0,82% difference). Of course these numbers are in the margin of error, but I thought it would be interesting to it mention. In Extreme profile results are similar, but R9 290X stays behind all GeForce GTX cards (but beating vanila GTX 780).

In 3DMark Fire Strike, the difference becomes more visible. The GTX 780 Ti is 2,4% faster than R9 290X and 18,9% faster than R9 290. All previous GeForce models are slower than GTX 780 Ti.

»videocardz.com/47655/gig ··· onfirmed

I was on the fence about this or the 290(x) earlier, looks like I know what I'm getting now. Physx is nice but more vram and a bigger memory bus solidified amd for me, just need to see what the prices are this time next year on them.
Hopefully a 2500k and pcie2 wont bottle neck them.

Still its cool to see how nvidia is responding now.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT

1 edit

Moos

Premium Member

Yeah this battle benefits us buyers tremendously!

For a single card PCIe 2.0 and the 2500k will be fine. Multiple cards is where you might start to see bottlenecks.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
I was thinking about getting the 780ti but only 3GB at the $650 price point is weak. Will that be able to push 1600p without penalty, not just today but in games 2-3 years from now?

The 6GB will probably be at least $750-800? You can get 2 R290's or 770's for that money. If you're willing to go SLI/crossfire the power would be much greater.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to Moos

to Moos
Yeah I don't plan to even make any more upgrades to my system beyond the 290(x), meaning no dual cards. I'm ether gonna build a haswell E in spring 2015 because of graduating or a skylake(or whatever comes after that) E when I get done with my masters in spring 2017.

AMD's gpu are just dominating the bang::buck right now in ym book.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to pnjunction

Premium Member

to pnjunction
said by pnjunction:

I was thinking about getting the 780ti but only 3GB at the $650 price point is weak. Will that be able to push 1600p without penalty, not just today but in games 2-3 years from now?

The 6GB will probably be at least $750-800? You can get 2 R290's or 770's for that money. If you're willing to go SLI/crossfire the power would be much greater.

3gb of vram is plenty for the vast majority of gamers out there. Even at 1440p, Crysis 3 only uses 2gb on my system. That's on Max settings with 2x AA. I can guarantee you you'll run out of gpu horsepower long before vram becomes an issue.
Ghastlyone

Ghastlyone to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
said by me1212:

Found this on reddit build a pc.

I was on the fence about this or the 290(x) earlier, looks like I know what I'm getting now. Physx is nice but more vram and a bigger memory bus solidified amd for me, just need to see what the prices are this time next year on them.
Hopefully a 2500k and pcie2 wont bottle neck them.

Still its cool to see how nvidia is responding now.

What resolution do run at right now? Unless you're running 4K or some crazy 7680x1440 setup, that 512bit memory bus ain't going to matter one bit.

By the way, did you see the stock memory clock on this 780ti? Dayum.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Right now? 1050, when I get this I hope to be able to afford a 1440p(at least) monitor to go with it if I can get an internship this summer. Plus for some reason the programmer in me has a raging hardon for larger memory buses.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

said by pnjunction:

3gb of vram is plenty for the vast majority of gamers out there. Even at 1440p, Crysis 3 only uses 2gb on my system. That's on Max settings with 2x AA. I can guarantee you you'll run out of gpu horsepower long before vram becomes an issue.

OK so you're talking about a game that's 6 months old on a card that's weaker than a 780ti (by how much I don't know) at 9/10 of the resolution I'm using and it's already at 2/3 of the VRAM used. Pretty much exactly why I want more than 3GB. Not to mention my card that is almost 3 years old (launch 6970) has 2GB, a card that is at least 2x as powerful should have about 2x the VRAM?

I made the mistake of buying too little with my 4870, cheaped out and got the 512MB instead of the 1GB because it was only a small hit at high resolutions. Well 2+ years later it was choking way behind what the 1GB card could've done, not to mention I upgraded monitor from 1280x1024 to 1920x1200. Now it's in my TV PC driving 1080p, waiting to be replaced by the 6970.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos

Premium Member

I was able to cap my vram on crysis 3 at 5760x1080 with two 7950s. (3gb.). I'll let u know what a 290 does with it when I get it.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to pnjunction

Premium Member

to pnjunction
said by pnjunction:

OK so you're talking about a game that's 6 months old on a card that's weaker than a 780ti (by how much I don't know) at 9/10 of the resolution I'm using and it's already at 2/3 of the VRAM used. Pretty much exactly why I want more than 3GB. Not to mention my card that is almost 3 years old (launch 6970) has 2GB, a card that is at least 2x as powerful should have about 2x the VRAM?

I made the mistake of buying too little with my 4870, cheaped out and got the 512MB instead of the 1GB because it was only a small hit at high resolutions. Well 2+ years later it was choking way behind what the 1GB card could've done, not to mention I upgraded monitor from 1280x1024 to 1920x1200. Now it's in my TV PC driving 1080p, waiting to be replaced by the 6970.

Even Crysis 3 being 9 months old, is still the most graphically intense game you can load up and play currently. I can't think of another game that will completely wreck most "gaming" PCs when in-game settings are increased. Can I max VRAM if I really wanted to playing Crysis? Yeah, if I turned anti aliasing all the way up to 8x, which at that point even a GTX 780 will run out of horsepower to run the game smoothly at that setting.

I've got Skyrim modded to the hilt, with every 4k Texture Pack, and Lighting Mod you can probably install. At 2560x1440, most VRAM I use in that game is again....2gb.

Metro Last Light...another game that is absolutely brutal on gaming PCs. Know how much VRAM I use in that game? 1.7-2gb. That's it.

You have to remember too, that (as far as I know) when/if you do happen to max VRAM out, you start to use system ram or page file at that point. Most PC guys out there are running 16-32gb of system ram now. This isn't 2005 anymore, where people have 1-2gb of system ram.

4-6gb of VRAM is (in the vast majority of scenarios) completely a waste, and will net you absolutely no performance increase whatsoever. We're already paying $600 for top end GPUs. Do we really want Nvidia and AMD packing 8-12gb of GDDR5 VRAM into these cards and now charging Titan prices for something we'll never use?

There are also countless Youtube videos and articles out there with guys running 2gb GTX 670's and 680's pushing 5760x1080 multi monitor setups, and guess what, they run that resolution perfectly fine.

In the end, if you find you're using too much VRAM for your liking, then simply turn AA down 1 notch.
Ghastlyone

Ghastlyone to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
Okay, I was watching some reviews of this 780ti. Why the hell is the Titan still priced at $1000?
Ghastlyone

1 edit

Ghastlyone to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
Tech Of Tomorrow 780ti Review. Pretty interesting, showing the 290x running in Uber Mode, against the 780ti running with factory settings....

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 9xyktBBA

a2nxtcrav3r
Pokes People With Stick
Premium Member
join:2003-07-13
San Jose, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

a2nxtcrav3r to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
gtx 780ti vs r9 290x theres a $140-180 premium on going nvidia but its only like 7% faster than AMD

Gotta wait for custom coolers from AMD and see how the classified or Lightning edition for Nvidia before i make some decisions.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by a2nxtcrav3r:

gtx 780ti vs r9 290x theres a $140-180 premium on going nvidia but its only like 7%

Gotta wait for custom coolers from AMD and see how the classified or Lightning edition for Nvidia before i make some decisions.

There's also a 3 free games with the 780ti. That alone makes up the price difference.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

2 edits

Thordrune to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
Even PCIe 3.0 x16 is a fraction of the bandwidth of a modern video card's memory bus. In the case of the 780 Ti, less than 5%. The last thing you want to happen is to swap frequently used assets over the PCIe bus due to running out of video memory. The game will immediately turn into a slideshow.

I remember years ago seeing a 128 MB GeForce 6800 being tested at various quality settings (I think it was Doom 3, which recommended 512 MB VRAM for Ultra). Once it ran out of VRAM and started swapping massive amounts of data over the AGP bus, the framerate dropped by nearly 95%. Since then, bus and memory bandwidth have scaled similarly.

Is more than 4 GB overkill for most people right now? I'd agree. However, I think it's a good idea to have more than 2 GB at this time if buying new.
said by Ghastlyone:

Okay, I was watching some reviews of this 780ti. Why the hell is the Titan still priced at $1000?

One thing: full-speed double precision (FP64). It's a poor man's Quadro/Tesla. About the only things it's missing are ECC support, ISV-certified drivers, and stereo/genlock.

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

TRU

At the moment, I don't know if the performance differences between PCIe 2.0 and 3.0 is really all it's cracked up to be. I've seen multiple benchmark test's that test both PCIe 2.0 and 3.0... and what these tests have basically concluded is that the performance gains from 2.0 to 3.0 is single digits or negligible at best.

I'm running my 780 on PCIe 2.0. I just haven't been compelled in one way or another to upgrade the motherboard(Asus P8Z68-V) in my system yet. Z68 isn't necessarily showing it's age just yet and I'm not complaining either. My Z68, i5 2500K build has been marvelous and I just haven't found any data out there that makes a compelling reason to upgrade, atleast for the sake of PCIe 3.0. Things could change in upcoming generations but for now I have no real gripes with running a brand new Nvidia GTX 780 on PCIe 2.0.

If I was to eventually purchase another 780 and then run both in SLI on this system. Then it's possible that PCIe 3.0 could pull away from version 2. I have not specifically looked into any specifics on that matter. I'd be truthfully talking out of my ass because I frankly just don't know what the data shows for systems running high-end GPU's like 780's in SLI.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

In games, pretty much no difference. Some compute applications do benefit from PCIe 3.0. If you have to ask if it'll benefit you, the answer is probably no.

To put my previous point in perspective another way, PCIe 3.0 x16 tops out at just under 16 GB/sec, vs 336 GB/sec memory bandwidth for the 780 Ti. If the card started swapping tons of texture and other data over the PCIe bus, it would have the effective memory bandwidth of little more than a Radeon HD 5450.