spc
Search similar:

uniqs

AustinDB
@sbcglobal.net

AustinDB to McBane

Anon

to McBane

Re: GigaPower coming to my neighborhood!!

Have Gigapower as of Friday, getting 300/300 on most speedtests; however, usenet via giganews and astraweb caps around 3.4MB/sec. Tried both 563 and 443.
AustinDB

AustinDB

Anon

My 50mbs Time Warner is actually faster for usenet traffic. I'm able to switch between the 2.

stonerbot613
@sbcglobal.net

stonerbot613

Anon

Does anybody have any information on HD stream compression bitrate for Gigapower customers? Is it higher than for regular Uverse customers? Definitely going to get the internet option, but if the Uverse (with Giagpower) HD bitrate is good enough (comparable to DirecTV), I'll spring for that too.

Anybody have any insight?

att_stinks
@rr.com

att_stinks to AustinDB

Anon

to AustinDB
Google fiber w/astraweb got 200-300 mbps. gigapower is no where close according to AustinDB.

Reference:

»www.avsforum.com/t/14846 ··· g-it-for
lanbrown
join:2009-04-05
West Bloomfield, MI

lanbrown to bobcats9498

to bobcats9498
The key is how they tested. If they tested over wireless they will never see 300 or even gigabit speeds. The WLAN in the RG is 802.11n and operates at 2.4GHz. That means 20MHz channels and depending on the GI either 130 or 144.4 Mbps. Given that WLAN is also half-duplex, 90 is about right in terms of speed. Even 802.11ac you won't see gigabit speeds; most are seeing 550 Mbps. With 160MHz channels you can see around 1Gbps but this is Wave 2 equipment and not available yet and event hen, most computers will not be using 160MHz channels but will probably stick with at most 80MHz.

AustinDB
@sbcglobal.net

AustinDB to att_stinks

Anon

to att_stinks
Steam downloads around 22MB/sec. So something is going on with use net, tried 2 different providers with 20 connections each.

CUBS_FAN
2016 World Series Champs
join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL

CUBS_FAN to UT_Texan

to UT_Texan
Lucky you. I just got 45/5 upgraded and the line tech was telling me that they have older "lead" wire closer to the VRAD. So it'll be a long time before thinking of GigaPower.
Leaving Comcast sure feels A LOT better hearing about the potential of new speeds.

att_stinks
@rr.com

att_stinks to AustinDB

Anon

to AustinDB
Perhaps AT&T is throttling usenet traffic? Would not be surprised. Have you tried it with SSL turned on/off to see if that makes a difference? Did you try astraweb's european servers instead?
ergatx
join:2013-12-12

ergatx

said by ergatx:

I'll try running a test this evening, during prime time. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of the install.

To close on the question about bandwidth during peak periods, over the last several days I've run throughput tests at a variety of times (during the day on weekdays and weekends, evenings on weekdays and weekends), and I've always observed the same results: ~300 down, ~200 up. I checked this with a variety of speed test sites (ATT, Verizon, speedtest.net), and I consistently see the same result.

Someone asked about data usage reports, and from what I can tell, the ability to precisely monitor this isn't implemented yet. The best I found was the page that indicates "we'll email you if you get close to your limit." Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place, though.

CUBS_FAN
2016 World Series Champs
join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL

CUBS_FAN

I was checking my account info online and went to my past orders. When I clicked details I noticed something about GigaPower:

U-verse with GigaPower Internet price includes 1TB of data/mo. $10 for each additional 50 GB, with a maximum monthly overage charge of $30. For more information, go to att.com/internet-usage.

att_stinks
@rr.com

att_stinks to att_stinks

Anon

to att_stinks
Based on all the reports I've seen, gigapower is only rarely 300/300 in speedtests. Most reports getting less than that, some way less, and most of those people still seem happy. Strange world. I hope google fiber gets here fast. Same old AT&T.

Malism
@tk20.com

Malism

Anon

My install was finished up yesterday. I'm getting 320Mb/300Mb. I'm a big newsgroup user that the posts above about slow performance were concerning. I use powerusenet and was getting about 80Mbit off their servers.

At 300Mbit you are rarely going to utilize the full pipe on a single site. Internet infrastructure just isn't built out with extremely high speeds in mind.
sbmitschke
join:2013-11-06
Georgetown, TX

sbmitschke to UT_Texan

to UT_Texan
Got mine installed today. Install was pretty easy as it was already working before the tech showed up. Getting 320/320 Mbps according to AT&Ts speed test. I did this test while recording 5 HD streams.

The only bummer was that they didn't have any 1TB DVRs in stock, so they said they would mail me one when available (hopefully later next week) and I can return my current DVR via ups store.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

GigaPower: Aerial or Buried drop?

sbmitschke See Profile, Malism, ergatx See Profile, AustinDB ...:
Your GigaPower/FTTP: Aerial or Buried drop?
UT_Texan
join:2013-08-27
Leander, TX

UT_Texan to sbmitschke

to sbmitschke

said by sbmitschke:

Got mine installed today. Install was pretty easy as it was already working before the tech showed up.

When did you place your order and how long did it take? I finally placed mine today as a regular customer since they don't yet have any discounting setup for retired employees and the install is scheduled for 1/3. I am going to ask the tech that did my original install if he can bump up the install date.

att_stiniks to Malism

Anon

to Malism
Malism, google search will show you people on google fiber are getting 200-300 mb/s from usenet servers... Your friends at AT&T are throttling you...
dang1337
join:2009-06-22

dang1337 to att_stinks

to att_stinks
Yes, tried both; speeds did not change. After about 30GB traffic the average is roughly 4.5MB/sec with 20 connections to both astra and giganews; while downloads from Steam are about 22MB/sec.
sbmitschke
join:2013-11-06
Georgetown, TX

sbmitschke to UT_Texan

to UT_Texan
placed my order on Wed, 12/18. Requested Friday. Next day, had a confirmation email. Installed Friday, 12/20.
sbmitschke

sbmitschke to brookeKrige

to brookeKrige

Re: GigaPower: Aerial or Buried drop?

I already had FTTP, so no change for me. Originally was installed in Sept and they buried the fiber a few days later.
said by brookeKrige:

Your GigaPower/FTTP: Aerial or Buried drop?

nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower to sbmitschke

to sbmitschke

What is the make and model of this new DVR?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by nephipower:

What is the make and model of this new DVR?

It's made by Pace. I don't know the model though.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

Thread implies all with the 300M FTTP upgrades were all previously BPON/18M: Were *any* of you on GPON/24M?

Can one of you 300 meggers post your GPON model# (said to be viewable by opening the ONT)?

Malism
@sbcglobal.net

Malism

Anon

Buried drop from the box in front of my house. Fiber terminated outside to Cat5.

It looks like ATT is rate limiting newsgroup access during prime hours. I can get about 80Mbit in off hours and exactly 25mbit during peak. Port/SSL doesn't change the speeds. Kind of a bummer but still much better than I had for the same price from suddenlink.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Tried proxying through some other server? Sounds like rate-limiting by destination IP. Maybe spin up a Digital Ocean droplet and run through that, since they're on gigabit.

att_stinks
@rr.com

att_stinks

Anon

Someone already posted using two usenet servers made no difference. It's clear they are limiting usenet bandwidth, something I am confident google fiber would not do.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

If both Usenet servers are well-known, that still doesn't rule out AT&T throttling traffic from certain IP ranges during certain time periods. Which proxying through a sufficiently beefy (bandwidth wise) VPN would resolve.

att_stinks
@rr.com

att_stinks

Anon

agreed. I bet things speed up, assuming the vpn can handle the bandwidth. someone with gigapower needs to complain to att.

Kechup
@mycingular.net

Kechup

Anon

So what's the verdict, looks like folks are being throttled ? Or simply not getting the advertised speeds due to what ever ? All my old promotions have expired so I need to do something and they are pushing me in this direction. What about the 1TB a month of data limit ? Only have one PC ( fourms, shopping, gaming ) and one tablet but used for hours most everynight. They are naturally offering a cheaper deal for extra speed but that one year contract has me worried if I hit my data cap month after month.

att_stinks
@rr.com

att_stinks

Anon

Just search gigapower in twitter and see how bad gigapower is... down for 4+ hours 4 times in one week....
dang1337
join:2009-06-22

dang1337 to UT_Texan

to UT_Texan
VPN improved performance for about a week.

Down to about 1.5-2.0 Mbps via giganews.

Canceled astra since it wasn't any better.

About to switch back to TW.

ftp traffic caps around 8 Mbps.