Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JohnnyBeGood

join:2008-04-18
Seattle, WA

[Windows] Helping family member setup small office network

Hi all,

I was asked by a family member who started a appartment manager assistant job to setup two computers in their office.
So far I know they use online based managing software and have some documents stored on one of the the computers.
This is on a really small scale so I was thinking first to enable file and printer sharing and on the newer computer setup a Dropbox account so there's a backup in case something goes wrong with the computer.
Can anyone suggest anything else?

TIA

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
Is offsite cloud storage now the norm to backup files?

JohnnyBeGood

Seattle, WA
said by Anav:

Is offsite cloud storage now the norm to backup files?

Hi, can you please elaborate more on your reply?

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to Anav
two computers with only a handful of files....yeah, that is probably not a bad way for them to start. much better than leaving the files on one computer and not saving them anywhere else.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to JohnnyBeGood
Sorry, meant stored on physical medium on an offsite location, not attached to the internet. Which can then be loaded at the offsite location or locally to replace lost files etc......

JohnnyBeGood

Seattle, WA
reply to JohnnyBeGood
Thanks for the replies!
All computers will be connected to the internet and no physical medium will be used to backup files. Is Dropbox good choice or there's something "better"?
Haven't really played much with the Dropbox but I'm sure there's a way to go back to previous versions of certain files?

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
i think you should start with dropbox. you get 2 gb for free, that should be plenty to get you going. they do have ways to retrieve deleted files. you have to be in the website to access those settings.

JohnnyBeGood

Seattle, WA
said by tomdlgns:

i think you should start with dropbox. you get 2 gb for free, that should be plenty to get you going. they do have ways to retrieve deleted files. you have to be in the website to access those settings.

Sounds good. Thanks!

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
join:2001-01-29
Proverbs 3
reply to JohnnyBeGood
Yes, there is Skydrive that offers 7gb.
»windows.microsoft.com/en-us/skyd ··· /compare
--
Pride is the only disease known to man that makes everyone sick except the one who has it.

JohnnyBeGood

Seattle, WA
said by Juke Box:

Yes, there is Skydrive that offers 7gb.
»windows.microsoft.com/en-us/skyd ··· /compare

Thanks for sharing!

rowebil

join:2013-07-31
Pen Argyl, PA
And, if you buy a cheap $1 domain from GoDaddy (look up coupons -- it's the greatest deal ever), and host the mail for the domain using Outlook.com, you can create users and activate skydrive for all of the accounts... :P

I was lucky enough to get the 23GB dropbox HTC Sense promotion, so for two years, I'll stick with Dropbox -- but if you choose to use Outlook.com to host the domains mail, each get an account and you can enable Skydrive.

JohnnyBeGood

Seattle, WA
said by rowebil:

And, if you buy a cheap $1 domain from GoDaddy (look up coupons -- it's the greatest deal ever), and host the mail for the domain using Hotmail, you can create users and activate skydrive for all of the accounts... :P

I don't think they have lot of documents to backup but thanks for sharing I do have few domains at GoDaddy.