uniqs
share rss forum feed

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter

1 edit

[ALL] overage fee's? just pondering

Per old thread of:
»[AB] Telus enforcing bandwidth limits now?

Noticed that Telus has added a new footnote to the Internet plan's page. Just on the main all-package page and not yet on each particular packages page.

quote:
Up to yadayada GB monthly data4

4- Additional usage charges may apply.
So any word of planned overage fee's anytime sooner or later or never-ever? Maybe Feb 2014, like last time with the bandwidth usage drop?

I suppose it may be just a standard disclaimer for GB hogs.

I haven't seen any new pages(including account) with legal definition wording to go with it, of what constitutes 'additional usage charges'.

--
Knowledge and curiosity are not crimes and those who are curious should not be treated like criminals.. »www.eff.org/https-everywhere

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1

Look the more you talk about it the more you ruin it for the rest of us so pip down lol

humanfilth

cyber gutter

said by DanteX:

Look the more you talk about it the more you ruin it for the rest of us so pip down lol

Well I guess they gotta pay for the new upload speeds somehow.
I read a few years back we only had a bandwidth shortage in the download direction. Now with higher uploads the shortage must be back. Wish I could find that satire article.

Maybe some kind caring Grandma's will donate their extra bandwidth to those that can't stay under the tiny little caps? A new industry for Canada as people will transfer GB's on the open market. But someone will ruin it by actually charging people a price higher than 'pictures of their kids', for the Grandmas can show off to the other Grannys for extra tea and cookie points.

An old Michael Geist article on UBB bullshit.
»www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5620/125/
Never Forget!
--
Knowledge and curiosity are not crimes and those who are curious should not be treated like criminals.. »www.eff.org/https-everywhere

Tornado15550

join:2012-12-16
Canada
reply to humanfilth

Why is this stuff brought up so much? Do you really want to start paying for overages? DanteX is absolutely right. The more you talk about it, the higher the chance Telus will actually implement it. Don't start new threads on this. I would hate to pay for overage charges. I'd rather tether using my Wind smartphone with unlimited data if Telus even considers this. It's ridiculous!

Helios
Premium
join:2013-11-04
Smithers, BC

Unlimited data? You mean 20GB per month before you are capped to 0.2 Mbps. That's not really 'unlimited' when you look at it.

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC
reply to humanfilth

said by humanfilth:

Well I guess they gotta pay for the new upload speeds somehow.

why would telus need to pay for the new upload speeds? the cost difference is pennies, and only if people actually upload more then they would have with lower upload, which probably wont even happen, and very little if at all, also telus is doing great as a company and does not need to worry about small losses like this, giving 5mbps instead of 2.5 costs nothing, and moving data costs pennies, i believe the only real cost is the cost of the electricity of the equipment telus owns like the dslam ect
--
Shaw Broadband 100/5 - Cisco DPC3825 - Asus RT-AC66U

humanfilth

cyber gutter

said by 18286719:

why would telus need to pay for the new upload speeds? the cost difference is pennies,

Dangit. I needs to wrap my sarcastic words with [sarcasm] .That little smiley face let me down. Next time its the Miley Cyrus tongue icon!

Of the big providers, Telus is still the best for not f*cking over their customers on a daily basis.
Post from Canadian generic Internet forum. CCTS annual report.
»The CCTS Annual Report

Various PDF's on complaints.
»www.ccts-cprst.ca/documents/annu···012-2013

Telus likes the results as complaints again go down for them.
»about.telus.com/community/englis···ive-year

Rogers and Bell, each, With 3,000 more complaints than Telus.
Rogers with its erroneous billing charges. Bell with 'who cares about these scum customers'.

That Shaw bump-up program of exceeding the usage:
If I read it correctly and based on some forum chatter, it seems like a bit of fraud to retroactively raise the users monthly rate, at what could be for only the last 2 days of the month, while not providing the next higher priced packages speed for the whole month. More of an ouch when it goes from the 50Mbps to 100Mbps.
Pro-rated is more consumer friendly, as then Shaw could add a couple of bucks to the months bill while giving a higher speed for 2 days. But thats not as profitable and causes math to adjust bills.
Was just on the Shaw site and ho-lee-f*ck. The price on their 'unlimited GB' plan is insane.
--

Whistler, BC

your point is irrelevant as the customer bases are much larger, bc and alberta have about 10,000,000 people while east coast has near 25,000,000
--

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC
kudos:10

said by 18286719:

your point is irrelevant as the customer bases are much larger, bc and alberta have about 10,000,000 people while east coast has near 25,000,000

nonsense... you're quoting the number of people not the number of subscribers.... Possible complaints come from the number of customers you have.
Ex. Wireless subscribers
Rogers 9.4 million
TELUS 8.1 million
Bell 7.8 Million

Based on those numbers, the fact that TELUS has significantly fewer complaints is telling
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

humanfilth

cyber gutter

1 recommendation

reply to 18286719

said by 18286719:

as the customer bases are much larger,

big 3 Cell networks subscribers »www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o···0645959/
Telus 8 million
Bell 8 million.
Rogers 9.5 million

An article about Shaw trying to sell its,,, failed ,,, Cell network spectrum to Rogers.
»business.financialpost.com/2013/···30a-1213

landline internet

Telus 1.4 million »about.telus.com/community/englis···a_glance

Bell 2.1 million »www.castanet.net/news/Business/1···stimates

Rogers 1.9 million »business.financialpost.com/2013/···30a-1213

Shaw 1.8 million »www.shaw.ca/corporate/about-shaw···mpanies/

Ignoring the Independents subscriber counts, as they bite into the giants user counts, because Independents caps are much larger or unlimited for a fair price.
--

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC
kudos:10
reply to humanfilth

ha humanfilth... we tied

humanfilth

cyber gutter

said by JammerMan79:

ha humanfilth... we tied

Saw your's popup as I was just finishing my collection of numbers and links.

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
reply to Tornado15550

Lucky you. I'm in a deadzone for cell coverage at my house from everyone. On a side note I finally got my Note 3 2 weeks ago.

xtachx

join:2005-11-19
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to humanfilth

That Shaw bump-up program of exceeding the usage:

... is not implemented. Shaw doesnt bother you unless you upload a LOT, on a busy node.
--
Connected to the world with 1-800-BLOODBATH-Mobility

anhloc

join:2009-12-11
Canada
reply to humanfilth

I went well over my allotment for the month. No extra charges.

Whistler, BC
reply to xtachx

exactly, and i have been told my many supervisors at shaw that have been very clear that shaw will never bill for going over and will never just bump you up to the next speed or whatever. ps tmrw i get free shaw phone and tv for 6 months. then im canceling and switching to TSI. lol

--