how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

Finding studs with double Sheetrock

My brother in law is trying to mount his tv on the wall in his apartment but all the walls have double sheetrock on all the walls. He tried using a stud finder but nothing is showing up. Besides drilling holes in the wall is there any other way to find the studs

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

Is there an electrical outlet in on the wall in question? Pull the cover off and see which side of the outlet a stud is on.

Now you found one. You may be able to double check in the attic/basement to confirm the wall stud spacing is 16" and measure appropriately. This is how I did it when I installed the wall mount for the tv in my mother-in-law's room that had tongue-and-groove paneling on the wall.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

nyrrule27

Howell, NJ

Sorry. Forgot to mention we tried the electrical box suggestion. It appears the studs aren't 16"on center. And it's an apartment. So no attic

walta

join:2001-05-22
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to nyrrule27

Get one of the new supper magnets a little round one they will stick to the screw / nails that go into the studs.

Walta

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
reply to nyrrule27

I've had really limited success with stud finders but I did find the Stanley Fat Max Stud Sensor 300 Model FMHT77407 worked well when having to locate studs in a wall where the Sheetrock was installed over 3/4" plywood.

»stanleytools.com/xhtml/stud_sensors.html

I believe it was around $40 at Home Depot.

Also, if the wall in question is a common with with a neighboring apartment, there is decent possibility that the wall is framed with offset studs @ 24" OC to help prevent sound transmission through the framing.
--
Zach

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to nyrrule27

This is by no means cheap, but I had the chance to play with it (contractor friend's company bought him TWO):

»www.boschtools.com/Products/Tool···-tect150

It found reebar in my basement, and confirmed that the patio pour was 2.3" deep instead of minimum 4-5" to code. It will read right through 1 1/4" of sheetrock.

Zircon has a solution for deepscanning that is under $70 at Home depot... (I have a Zircon studfinder and it works ok...but that Bosch spoiled me...)
--
Splat

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to walta

said by walta:

Get one of the new supper magnets a little round one they will stick to the screw / nails that go into the studs.

+1. The most accurate method by far. Even a small magnet will do as the nails/screws are just below the surface.

nyrrule27

Howell, NJ
reply to nyrrule27

We are gonna try the magnet trick. The wall is not a common wall between 2 units. It separates the living room from the bedroom. It's the top floor appt. could the studs still be 24". This is in virginia so not sure of code there

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

A stud finder with the "deep scan" function might help, but I recently found the magnet trick was the most reliable. Once you locate a few screws, tap a few finish nails in to confirm. Tap slowly, and you will feel them push freely once they clear the drywall if you miss a stud.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to nyrrule27

Rare-earth /ceramic magnets work wonders on finding the screwheads. I have one that clings tight to even small nails holding plaster lath through more than 1" of plaster.

If you have an old 5.25" disk drive, rip it apart and extract the magnets from that. Should work for you.

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
reply to nyrrule27

Studs might be 19.2 inches on center. All of the homes they are building around here now are 16 inch center on exterior walls and 19.2 in interior walls

saratoga66

join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

Removed Post. Will re post later

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
reply to comp

19.2 inches? Who came up with that? Has to be the contractors yet again cutting corners.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

Let's them get away with one less stud in an 8' span. Wow...

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA

Typical of American thinking now. One less stud every 8 ft. BS.

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
reply to Jack_in_VA

Good question but all of the large builders here in Western PA- Ryan, Heartland, S&A and Maronda are doing it

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA

I can believe that. Like lemmings they follow each no matter what it is. What ever happened to contractors wanting to build a quality home? I'd say lack of ethics.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

This isn't a home, it's an apartment complex. Totally different animal from a quality home.

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT
reply to Jack_in_VA

Look at tape measures next time you are in LoweDepot. There is a little black diamond every 19.2 inches.
Might not be on every tape measure. I never noticed it until it was pointed out to me a while back.