how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gadawg

join:2006-01-27
Louisville, KY

ATT digitallife

Does anyone have the digitallife home security/home automation system? How does it work?

h09

join:2010-03-23
Chicago, IL

I have digital life at home. You asked how it works what in particular do you need to know?

gadawg

Louisville, KY
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..

said by h09:

You asked how it works what in particular do you need to know?

Are all the window and door sensors hardwired or wireless? Thermostat wireless, etc. How does the system contact the monitoring center? Internet, cell phone? Is there a central unit? if so does it connect to our existing ATT 2wire modem or have its own?

h09

Chicago, IL

Click for full size
Contact sensor on door
Click for full size
Door lock
Click for full size
Central Digital Life Hub
Click for full size
Thermostat (Honeywell)
I start off by saying that I am an AT&T employee so this might be biased, AT&T holds their employees to a very high standard of employment so I do the same back when it comes to our products. I'm not a tech or technical by any means. I do sales for AT&T and have worked for them for 4 years. With that being said I've had ADT in the past and Digital Life is on par with or better in every aspect. First off ADT isn't transparent about their pricing, they require someone to come out to your house to evaluate and then provide you with a monthly cost and equipment cost. When I signed up for ADT my monthly service was 49.99 and paid 500 dollars for basic required equipment and got like a 200 dollar rebate. When i attempted to upgrade to Pulse about two years past the upgrade would cost an additional 600 dollars.

ADT VS Digital Life
-Digital Life doesn't require landline service, they install a central box in your home that has all of the wireless technologies needed for it to operate properly, uses 3G service as the main communication method with home broadband as back up (ethernet from hub to modem). ADT required a home phone line or an expensive upgrade to go wireless communication to their monitoring system

-All contact sensors on doors and windows are wireless and battery operated. So easy to install I did a few myself when the tech was out. (battery is easy enough to replace and reminds me of a larger watch battery) Haven't replaced them once since setting them up originally have had for 4-5 months.

-All contact sensors and equipment connect to the hub through what the tech called z waves (wave technology similar maybe to bluetooth because the equipment is required to be paired at initial set up). I have never had an issue with a piece of equipment falling off the system. With ADT my system was wired (sure it has changed since)

-Thermostat is wired to the HVAC like a traditional thermostat would be and connects to central digital life hub via short waves once again.

-Door locks are battery operated and can be installed on any door that has a deadbolt in it. I have two in my home.

-2 year contract up front cost was roughly 450-500 dollars, got door package, energy package, and smart security, and later added cameras for 199.99 one time. 700 total investment, they allow you to build you bundle as you go to help out with cost.

-Total MRC is $60 dollars a month.

My favorite features
-Full Control from tablet and smartphone gives access for up to 10 people I believe with their own dedicated log in

-For a week straight when I upgraded to Power Tier my system worked completely on 3G and outside of cameras not working the system didn't budge on 3G solely.

-You can schedule task. Essentially you set up a task or program that happens based on some other action happening or at a specific time. For example I have a program: As soon as I arm my system as away the thermostat is set to off. In turn I have a scheduled task that kicks the HVAC unit on at 630 every day tend to get home at 7 or so. (Since having Digital Life saw savings on energy of $15 dollars per month compared to last year same time).

The one thing i miss about ADT is that my system used to tell me what door was open in a voice, Digital Life chimes.

*Some wiring does need to occur but i'd say about 60% of all equipment is wireless. They did what wiring they could behind the wall to hide the cables in the home and installed wire covers in areas where they couldn't hide cable. I had my hub installed in the bedroom closet about 7 feet up from the floor doesn't bother me there or get in the way. Ran cable to electricity outlet (Backup battery included), and another cable for ethernet to modem. Keypad is wired to electricity outlet. Cameras are wired to AC outlet and are connected to Ethernet through electricity.

* Professional HVAC and electricians do install of Energy and Camera package.

Took a few pics to post on here.

h09

Chicago, IL
reply to gadawg

Sorry for the long reply and I hope this helps you and others out considering the service. Once again I don't do any of the technical stuff because i'm in sales but I have a large array of knowledge on all products AT&T. Feel free to continue to ask questions.

gadawg

Louisville, KY
reply to gadawg

Thank you for taking the time to postso much info. Your post tells me a lot of what I was curious about. Thanks again.

h09

Chicago, IL

Great glad it helped