spc
Search similar:

uniqs
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

2 Dynamic IP's with cable via Shaw

on the shaw website if you look under the details of all there plans it shows 2 dynamic ip addresses. however the 2 ip's are not even enabled by default, and i believe the only way to acquire 2 would be to have your modem in bridge mode, once you have your modem in bridge mode you call shaw and ask for your second ip, they give you this by applying the a code i believe is called "FreeIP". im considering switching to TSI and having 2 ip's is a must, DSL not an option. there is no clear detail or any detail whatsoever on the TSI website about ip's on cable plans. it would make sense to me that you guys could submit a ticket asking them to add another ip to my account, if 2 are not enabled by default, but arent the ip's coming from you guys anyway? it would be great to know i could get 2 ip's if i were to switch, as that is really the only thing holding me back. PLZ TSI figure this out with shaw.

also fun fact + question - the difference between a shaw business and residential line other then plans/prices are 2 things

1. port 25 is not blocked outgoing on business only on residential
2. traffic shaping is applied to residential connections when nodes are congested or under high use, this traffic shaping is not applied to shaw business accounts however, is it applied to TSI accounts?

TSI cable 100 is also ridiculously priced, and i mean ill go with 25 or 50 if i have to, but i get 100/5 with shaw right now for $90/m, it would be nice/ideal for TSI to try to have this lowered as i would be surprised if anyone is paying $145 for 100 down from you guys,

other then the 2 ip's the price on the 100 is the only thing making me hesitate jumping on the TSI bandwagon, and i would much prefer supporting you guys rather then shaw.

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny

Anon

you get two ips. no code required.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to 18286719

Premium Member

to 18286719
There should be no need for code changes to get a 2nd IP address. have you tried getting the 2nd? Modem in bridge mode, plug a switch into the modem or use a router with DHCP disabled and plug the modem into LAN1 port and you should be able to get 2 devices online with 2 separate public IP addresses.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

1 edit

18286719 (banned)

every TSI employee i asked could not verify this, the one i spoke to last night who looked into it heavily said he thought no but wasnt positive, would have been nice to have a TSI employee verify this, but ill take fluffybunny's word. it would be better if TSI employees knew the answer and it was posted on the website, but none of the cable plans say anything about how many ip's, static or dynamic or what, im on the phone with TSI right now and there saying its only 1 and they will not promise 2, how the hell can the company providing the service not fully undertstand it, because 0% of tsi employee's i spoke to have any idea about this, dont know why it is so hard to verify the amount of dynamic ip's included

calling them again and the guy is saying his supervisor who has been there for a long time is extremely teksavvy and that he knows it is only 1 ip, so basically assuming fluffybunny is right TSI doesnt even have the right info about there own service, is there anyway you could post proof of 2 ip's or verify you currently have 2 fluffybunny, i cant take a risk here, i need to know as a fact %100 i will get 2 ip's, and id like to hear it from a TSI employee

18286719 (banned)

now tsi is claiming "that guy fluffybunny does not know what hes talking about", fluffybunny could u plz provide proof you currently have 2 dynamic ips

TSI Jonathan
Premium Member
join:2011-08-24
Chatham, ON

TSI Jonathan

Premium Member

Hi Connor M,

For now, we are not sure if it's something that is fully available to us. It's a hit and miss for our customers on Shaw right now to get two dynamic IPs assigned to them. It may be working for fluffybunny but we can't guarantee it will work with others. It's not that fluffybunny doesn't know what he is talking about, it's just something that automatically worked for him without having us requesting it for him.

We can certainly get in touch with one of our contacts at Shaw to see if it is available to us and if we can request that for customers who request it. It would then be a process we would need to develop on our side for our customers.

I'll look into it and update you once we have a firm answer.

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

how is it hit and miss? it makes 0 sense logically that random users can get 2 and others cant....

thanks tho Jonathan i am awaiting updates

TSI Jonathan
Premium Member
join:2011-08-24
Chatham, ON

TSI Jonathan

Premium Member

Ok, just confirmed that it's not something that is available to us. Looks like some customers are accidentally getting 2 but it's not something that we can request.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

how was this confirmed? words arent really good enough at this point so saying it was confirmed just makes me feel you went and asked someone within your company and relayed there answer, howabout you guys actually talk to shaw about it... also how the hell is it up to shaw, the ip's belong to TSI do they not?
gleng19919
join:2013-06-20
Gatineau, QC

gleng19919

Do you have to be such an ass when people are trying to help?

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny to 18286719

Anon

to 18286719
lol. ive actually got 4 external IPs.
one from lightspeed via telus adsl and two from teksavvy via shaw and another one from mullvad.net for my VPN linkup.
the teksavvy ones are in the same class C BTW. you first connect a switch to your cablemodem, connect your first router and test it out normally. Wait 5 minutes and then connect your second router. I use a zywall usg300 which does load balancing/failover across all 3 IPs and both external WAN links using MAC addresses I assign to each port which is a much better approach.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

can you proove you have 2 tsi ip's, i honestly 100% believe you but we need to figure out why it works for you even tho TSI claims it shoudlnt for me

18286719 (banned) to gleng19919

to gleng19919
im not trying to be an ass im just trying to make TSI realize its ridiculous that they dont even know how many ip's come with there own service, i am slightly anoyed with this but like i said im not trying to be an ass, sorry if i sounded like it
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by 18286719:

im not trying to be an ass im just trying to make TSI realize its ridiculous that they dont even know how many ip's come with there own service, i am slightly anoyed with this but like i said im not trying to be an ass, sorry if i sounded like it

They don't control the DHCP servers.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

well then they should have some clarification from whoever is controlling them as to how many ip's they are allowed to pull and the fact that shaw would say they only provide 1 doesnt make any sense as fluffybunny has essentially proved they provide 2, as long as hes not lying. i HIGHLY DOUBT anyone at TSI has spoken to a shaw employee who sets up TSI accounts about this, maybe there is no limit, cause its certainly not at one, and thats all TSI sais
chall2k56
join:2007-10-03
Edmonton, AB

chall2k56 to 18286719

to 18286719
some modems have a section in the webif that says the info you need

Im on Acanac with Rogers lines

Thomson dcm475/476 does for sure

Configuration Parameters:
Computers Allowed by Service Provider: 2
Computers Detected by Modem: 1

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec to 18286719

Premium Member

to 18286719
Was just gonna say check the modem config pages and it should show you. If you have a Moto modem, go the diag pages and click the "Addresses" tab. Under "Known CPE MAC Address" to the left of this will be "Max 1" or Max 2 in my case from my ISP. Just a few years ago it said Max 5. ive never bothered using the 2nd to be honest.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

i cant get TSI cable untill im promised im gonna get 2 ips....... maybe if fluffybunny could do what you said and post a picture proof so that TSI can actually realize they get 2 ip's with shaw

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by 18286719:

i cant get TSI cable untill im promised im gonna get 2 ips....... maybe if fluffybunny could do what you said and post a picture proof so that TSI can actually realize they get 2 ip's with shaw

I dont think you will get promised this. Teksavvy rep said it isnt something they can offer specifically and anyone that has it would be getting it due to some special circumstances outside of their control.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to 18286719

Premium Member

to 18286719
Might we find out exactly what the purpose of getting 2 IP's on a Cable service is for?
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

may i find out why you care? i have numerous reasons.... your question implies that the result will be different if i have reason, when it will not.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

Do you have two public IP addresses right now Connor? What type of set up do you have? Mainly I am wondering if you can still use your router in order to have more than 2 devices on your local network. For example, have two machines with public IP addresses and then anything else you connect with get local addresses from DHCP. I assume you would need a switch in the mix.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to 18286719

Premium Member

to 18286719
That's not what he is implying. He is simply curious as am I.

FYI. I asked Gabe to confirm to be 100%.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

Seems more to me someone got banned from a site and nneds another IP.Not that I care but I get alot of questions over that
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

nahh, an even tho i would prefer to keep my info private, i guess its not a huge deal to me so ill explain anyway, my reason doesnt matter either way tho. ps i have never been ip banned.

so for starters 2 ip's = 2 sets of ports.

1 IP i have goes to my RT-AC66U where i have firewall enabled and ICMP respond off. this router serves my computer and my xbox via cat 6, and then operates only on the 5GHz band for wifi, 2.4GHz disabled. everyone is wireless and almost everything is 5GHz. like my brothers xbox, a macbook pro (used by another heavy internet user in the house) some iphone 5's and 1 other windows pc. THIS IP CAN CHANGE NO PROBLEM, if i want a new ip i change my mac and reboot the modem. so lets say im to receive a ddos attack (most attacks are only coming from script kiddies and are not even strong enough to get me offline) then i am easily able to change my ip and continue with my day if that person were to have access to a very strong botnet that could take me down.

the 2nd IP i have goes to my DIR-655 wich i use for monitoring my connection (icmp has to be enabled) and provides only wireless access to clients via 2.4GHz. there is also a windows pc hooked up to this 2.4GHz network that has port forwarding rules setup for something the other user in the house has to do, i dont know exactly what it is, but he has to be able to give his customers an ip adress that will stay the same, they use that ip adress to acesss the computer on the network, what exactly he uses that for i cant remember, but he requires the ip adress not to change very often, i mean it can change but then he has to let everyone know the new IP. the IP that router pulls now is still the same IP we originally pulled about 6 months ago, while the ip on my rt-ac66u can change as much as i want, though i havnt needed to change it lately cause my router has been good with stopping ddos attacks.

so to clarify my first ip can change whenever and my second one can change if i have to but we try not to at all

the other user in the house owns a company called purple turtle productions which builds and hosts websites although we have to rent servers to host as we would need atleast 100mbps up to do it out of our home, soon i would like to build a small home server tho.

i cant bridge the d link to the asus because the d link does not support bridge and i use routers on different bands, cant bridge the asus to the d link because the d link will just crap out with a simple ddos

having 2 ips and having 1 with icmp disabled has helped with with alot of cool troubleshooting that i would not have been able to do without this setup, it has also taught me a thing or two

right now if i were to receive a ddos attack i can simply unplug the lan of my first router and connection will continue on the second, then i can choose to reboot immediately or wait

with TSI i would hope to get both these routers behind a switch, add a ubiquiti edge router lite to the mix and only use my asus router as a WAP

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny to JenSuisUn

Anon

to JenSuisUn
Click for full size
zyxel
running an illegal torrent server probably. lol.

i use it for QoS mainly. I dont have to set metrics of 2:1 to match my DSL line. instead i just even em out with 1 Mbps upload for each WAN link and set it to 1:1:1. Seems to be better for SIP traffic and stuff.

anyway, attached is proof for whatever its worth.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

thank you fluffybunny! i have no idea why this would work for you and not for me so if a tsi employee could explain how that makes any sense at all i would only get 1 ip if he can get 2 that would be great. ps why dont u have gig links? your switch dont support it?

18286719 (banned)

before i had 2 routers i had 2 lan cables in the back of my xbox, one directly from the shaw modem, and 1 from my dir-655, the xbox would pull its own ip and i would play on that untill i got hit then switch to the dir-655 and they wouldnt have that ip so i could just wait the attack out and plug back in directly to xbox later. now the rt-ac66u is basically my firewall infront of the xbox aswell as a 5GHz wifi network the 2.4 on that router causes problems and does not compare to my d link. my dir-655 is one of the only 300N routers with 3 antennas, 2 for send 1 for recieve, and it results in amazing wifi coverage, atleast in my house the asus cant compete, and it interferes with my 2.4GHz headset

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny to 18286719

Anon

to 18286719
old switch. no point wasting a new switch on a 25 meg connection.

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999 to 18286719

to 18286719
Offtopic but nice website for the company. The HTML5 is great.