Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

iPad at least one gen old....

Normally I would not touch it but I am laid up in bed with back issues. Noticed thee time was waayyyyy off. Decided to poke around and finally noticed you could only change the time via changing the city. It was set to Cupertino for some odd reason.

Found I could search for a city and after 5 solid minutes trying to search for Dayton, Ohio, I finally figured out that they don't effing list Dayton. Wth - closest city I could find was Columbus - an hour away.

For as advanced apple supposedly is -this is basic searching. No reason not to include Dayton or even Cincinnati. I just don't get it as an it professional. If they wanted to limit it when the location service is off - then let the user pick the time zone instead of searching for a city in futility... Don't understand the current functionality....
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

MsTerra
Callipygian
Premium
join:2002-08-20
Nerdvana
kudos:2
Maybe they figured it was easier for some people to pick a city near them than to pick a time zone? I can think of people I know who would be confused by just a list of named time zones with plus-or-minus number of hours GMT (as I've seen on a few web site registrations).

I mean, yeah, it's a little annoying to have to select "Boston" (or, worse, "New York") for my time when I live in Cambridge, but it gets the job done.
--
"Strive to change the world in such a way that there's no further need to be a dissident." Lawrence Ferlinghetti

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
All they have to do is add a description of states or better yet, a small map of the time zones. Not that difficult it seems to me OR have a small direction to tyoe in a city near you or state capital.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
reply to CylonRed
Was the "Set Automatically option" not working?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Not set - we really don't want pictures with gps data. Making an assumption that the location service alsi does the pictures. In looking thru this morning I did see any camera settings.
--
Brian

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
Click for full size
Click for full size
I agree the time zone list is confusing. The time zone selection on OS X is much more intuitive. Maybe they'll bring it over someday.

But you can also set the time manually. If you want to set it automatically, you can disable location services on a per app basis, too. I always have it turned off for the camera app.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
For this one I don't see any way to turn location off and on per app. Just one screen to turn location on or off period. I accidentally found out how to set the time manually a few seconds ago.
--
Brian

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
What version of iOS are you running? (Settings > General > About)

I'm not sure if iOS 4 or 5 had per-app settings, but iOS 6 and 7 definitely do.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
7.0.3 (11b511)

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
Then you should definitely see the per-app on/off switch. If you want to turn it on but keep the camera off:

Settings > Privacy > Location Services

Make sure Location Services is turned on. The list of apps will appear underneath. If there is no list, you may have to open the Camera app to get it to show up. I guess it's possible apps are only listed when they request location, but I don't think that's how it works.
--