Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

The last new polymer bills are being released today

The plastic $5 and $10 will finally be released, unfortunately.

And I'm starting to really really hate them ever since the 20s were released.

I was fine with the 50s and 100s as they aren't used often... and even when they are used, it's usually easy to count them because they are few. The 20s are popular though, so it became a real pain to deal with them, and it's going to be the same story with the 5s and 10s now.

I rarely deal with money these days, but the couple of times I had to count around a $1000 in 20s was a real pain and took me forever. Had to count it 6 times because I got 3 different counts several times... and I used to be able to go through a mixed stack of bills of $2-3k in less than a minute when I was working as a cashier. Plus I almost handed extra bills or had a cashier miss a bill when I used cash several times already. I've started to pretty much avoid carrying cash completely because of the new bills.

Since they picked plastic, I figure they'd have complete control over the texture and could easily create a rough texture that is easy to deal with... but nope, we get these super slick bills that are almost impossible to split at times.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

They're also a pain to folds, since they dont fold nicely...

ATM's still sometimes dispense old 20's as well...
--

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
reply to ekster

I can put $80 in my wallet and still have a $20 bill left 2 months later. I so rarely use cash anymore.

FaxCap

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

I hardly ever use cash nowadays as well...
--

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
reply to ekster

I ended up being very happy with the new plastic money the day I accidentally left my wallet in the washing machine.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to ekster

said by ekster:

but nope, we get these super slick bills that are almost impossible to split at times.

Split them at the clear spot. They come right apart easily when you do that.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC

Yeah, I discovered the hard way to use the clear strip for splitting them up when I had to count the stack of 20s. Not fun to double check every bill whenever I want to buy something quickly though.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to milnoc

said by milnoc:

I ended up being very happy with the new plastic money the day I accidentally left my wallet in the washing machine.

That's a Darwinian moment. How the hell would you leave your wallet in your pants and they end up in the washing machine.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to ekster

said by ekster:

I don't know anyone that likes these new bills. Everyone from friends to merchants complain about how the bills stick together and people continuously give too many bills...

Hearing so many people complain and having heard no one praise the new bills, I wonder who actually gave the 'okay' on moving forward with this...

milnoc

H3B

1 recommendation

reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

said by milnoc:

That's a Darwinian moment. How the hell would you leave your wallet in your pants and they end up in the washing machine.

Even worse, I was still wearing them!

moffa

join:2007-10-14
Ajax, ON
reply to urbanriot

I hate that they stick together all the time. Luckily I've had honest cashiers who return my money.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

2 recommendations

reply to milnoc

said by milnoc:

said by elwoodblues:

said by milnoc:

Even worse, I was still wearing them!

Just more proof pants are evil.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

I don't know anyone that likes these new bills

I do. I spend the paper 20s preferentially over the plastic to save space in my wallet. Plus I appreciate the technology of the greater longevity and resistance to counterfeiting.

Though in the early 90s when I worked in the Chemistry Dept. of RMIT in Melbourne, AU, I had a project to reverse engineer the plastic in the Australian $10 note. The bank was confident that it could not be duplicated. We told them which specific resins were in it, and in which proportion in less than 24 hours.

Mind you, your average criminal doesn't have access to millions of dollars worth of analytical instrumentation....
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to ekster

It'll probably take a while for these to become common. In my personal experience, I still get more paper 20s from stores and ATMs than polymers.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

said by ekster:

I don't know anyone that likes these new bills. Everyone from friends to merchants complain about how the bills stick together and people continuously give too many bills...

Hearing so many people complain and having heard no one praise the new bills, I wonder who actually gave the 'okay' on moving forward with this...

Y'know if I was a conspiracy theorist I'd really wonder if the changes in the currency are meant to drive us to a "cashless" society where everything is done electronically.

To wit:

1) The deletion of the penny from circulation and resulting rounding issues, the solution?

Use electronic transaction methods and the penny still counts

2) Plastic money that is hard to handle (literally) with stories of bills sticking together, being too slick, melting at high temperatures (and temperatures lower than the ignition point of the old bills) The solution?

Use electronic transaction methods and the problems with bill handling go away

3) Most banks only offer unlimited electronic transactions on their highest tiered plan with the highest monthly fees (and getting the fee waiver normally invoolves leaving thousands of dollars sitting in an account which bares almost no (if any) interest.

Now the first issue on its own is one thing but add that to the second and then the third issue which will over time hit people in the wallet (big surprise there) and you have to wonder whether there was a "method to the money madness"

NefCanuck

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to FaxCap

said by FaxCap:

I can put $80 in my wallet and still have a $20 bill left 2 months later. I so rarely use cash anymore.

FaxCap

I'm the same way. I usually keep $80 to $100 in my wallet for emergencies. In the span of a couple months it more than likely gets used to pick up part of a bar tap or pizza delivery. I usually go months before I need to visit an ATM. Debit/Credit is way more convenient and you get points/cashback with credit.

As for the new bills. I don't realy have an issues in them. Then again my wallet probably has 3 or 4 20's a 10 and a 5 at any given time. It's not hard to count out 6 bills.. lol.

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to Ian

said by Ian:

Mind you, your average criminal doesn't have access to millions of dollars worth of analytical instrumentation....

Don't kid yourself. Organized crime these days has billion$ of resources to draw upon, including full fledged industrial chemical plants.

And then there are the rogue states out there like Iran and North Korea. North Korea practically drives its economy on counterfeit American money.

Hell man, even Walter White had some serious backing in Breaking Bad

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
reply to Ian

said by Ian:

said by urbanriot:

I don't know anyone that likes these new bills

I do. I spend the paper 20s preferentially over the plastic to save space in my wallet. Plus I appreciate the technology of the greater longevity and resistance to counterfeiting.

Same here. I find them no stickier than brand new cotton/paper bills were. With time and use they become less sticky, just like the cotton/paper bills were.

And I'm one of those who never uses debit and only uses credit for a few things like fuel or electronics purchase.

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to ekster

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c···.1385455

quote:
9 ways to avoid counterfeit polymer bills

Since Canada's new polymer bills were released last year, 59 counterfeit versions of various denominations have been caught across the country, according to the RCMP.

Sgt. Duncan Pound says people have become so confident the new bills can't be counterfeited that they are failing to check the security features.

Many of the fakes are also made from polymer, so police say it is important to check the security features to ensure the bills you receive are real.

"Counterfeiters will always try to do this because of the value of the notes. Please don't stop looking just because we have the best notes in the world," said Pound.

Several fakes of the $100 bill have already been spotted in B.C. In May, police in New Westminster said two counterfeit $100 bills were found at a local business and a major bank.

Police said the real bills clearly show the flag and rooftop of Parliament Hill's East Block in the hologram window, along with the number 100, repeated several times.

But on the counterfeit $100 bills, the 100, the rooftop, and the flag are not present, said New Westminster police Sgt. Diana McDaniel.

So basically we're all still playing whack-a-mole with our currency. The fakes will continue to get better all the while the gov't forcing us into the cashless society they dream of...

Thingamajig
Premium
join:2004-11-03
B.C.
reply to ekster

Tell you what. All you people not liking the new bills send them to me. I need to do further research regarding this issue.
--
Some hero's wear capes, mine wear combat boots.

milnoc

H3B

No! Send them to me! I still have wash tests to do!

I wasn't kidding when I said I accidentally put my wallet in the wash. Here's the aftermath.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0dQz76mvuc

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON

First time you've laundered a wallet?

I have done that at least six or eight times.

Worst thing I have laundered though was a Bic pen, which exploded in the dryer....

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON

said by Ian:

I have done that at least six or eight times.

Worst thing I have laundered though was a Bic pen, which exploded in the dryer....

Wallet launder is one thing... the sudden horror you have when you miss the step going from the dock to the boat and fall in the lake with everything in your pockets is an entirely different horror. Car keys with remote fobs which may or may not be waterproof, wallet, cell phone, watch, etc... it's one thing to be cold and wet... it's another entire thing to be cold, wet, and realize your life is about to become much more difficult because of everything that just got munged up.

milnoc

H3B
reply to Ian

said by Ian:

Yep! The worst that I've ever washed before was tissue paper, and that was caught by the dryer's lint trap.

And I've never had a mishap similar to Hydraglass' happen to me, although I have been in rainstorms that started soaking all the way up to the pants pockets even when I was wearing a coat.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to NefCanuck

said by NefCanuck:

Y'know if I was a conspiracy theorist I'd really wonder if the changes in the currency are meant to drive us to a "cashless" society where everything is done electronically.

Well it sounds like a good theory as forcing citizens onto electronic currency makes it easier for the tax man to audit us!

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

It'll probably take a while for these to become common. In my personal experience, I still get more paper 20s from stores and ATMs than polymers.

Paper bills that have a polymer replacement are required to be destroyed and sent to the Bank of Canada upon receipt by the bank - at least, that's what our bank has told us on numerous occasions whenever I deposit "old" paper cash. For this reason, I'd be real surprised to see any paper 20s come from an ATM. I know I haven't seen any in months.

I'm with urbanriot, the new bills are a pain in the ass. They take forever to count (try getting $5000 cash in new polymer 20s like I have on more than one occasion - god help you) and I have had numerous customers give me too much money because 50s and 100s have stuck together. I can understand the need to update currency security, but goddamn they have made handling cash a nightmare.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:10
reply to ekster

I use one piece of plastic for everything.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xp7h6JmnIQ

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within

join:2005-01-20
reply to ekster

The portrait heads look a bit misshapen, particularly Sir John A. Macdonald's, it looks like they scaled up the facial features, or shrunk his head. On the other hand Laurie looks balder though it is probably just the hairstyle.

I see the maple leaf is still the wrong shape, unless you are into good Norwegian wood, and you are right about the texture (lack of).

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to lugnut

said by lugnut :

said by Ian:

Don't kid yourself. Organized crime these days has billion$ of resources to draw upon, including full fledged industrial chemical plants.

And then there are the rogue states out there like Iran and North Korea. North Korea practically drives its economy on counterfeit American money.

Hell man, even Walter White had some serious backing in Breaking Bad

They can always buy their equipment on a line of credit. Once they are successful, they'll have no problem paying back their debt!

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Ormond Beach, FL

1 recommendation

reply to ekster

I refuse to use debit and only use credit cards when I travel. I like the fact the new bills take up less room.

peterboro gives a