Search similar:

uniqs

darkhand
Premium Member
join:2003-07-28
Hilliard, OH

darkhand

Premium Member

[Electrical] Ballpark estimate for installation of a floor receptacle?

The room is carpeted and I'm 97% sure it's above the unfinished portion of my basement. Home was built in 1998.

It would appear to be a simple job for someone with experience, but I have only ever installed coax and cat 5.

We are located in Columbus, OH, and I would be using a licensed electrician.

Thanks,

Adam

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

That highly depends on the availability of a circuit to tap into and the distance to it. Can be anywhere from $100 to $500.

darkhand
Premium Member
Hilliard, OH

darkhand

Premium Member

said by cowboyro:

That highly depends on the availability of a circuit to tap into and the distance to it. Can be anywhere from $100 to $500.

It's about ~40' from the panel, and there are several openings. It's also very near a light a screw in light fixture that's in the basement. This would only be for a table/floor lamp or two.

Thanks for the general idea though!

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

Killa200 to darkhand

Premium Member

to darkhand
That close to the panel I'd be tempted to go ahead and run it there if the outlet string isn't easy access for the room it is going into. No telling when that easy to access floor outlet for a lamp or two one day becomes the easy access floor outlet for the vacuum or carpet shampooer.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to darkhand

MVM

to darkhand
How fancy of a floor fixture do you want? Installing them over unfinished space is a breeze. I'd say if you tap into the closest basement light it would be about $100 + materials.
Spensergig
Past my Prime
MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL

Spensergig

MVM

said by nunya:

How fancy of a floor fixture do you want? Installing them over unfinished space is a breeze. I'd say if you tap into the closest basement light it would be about $100 + materials.

Unless, like my previous house, the outlet is tapped into the (switched) basement light circuit.
Imagine the frustration of figuring out why one outlet only worked sometimes.

If I had any idea who the "pro" was who did that "upgrade", I'd try for his license.

(I admit, though, that we left it like that, and didn't tell the next owners about it.)

darkhand
Premium Member
Hilliard, OH

darkhand

Premium Member

It's definitely a switched basement light, so I guess that's out.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra to darkhand

Premium Member

to darkhand
Just in case you're not aware of it, and you're doing it yourself, IIRC, the NEC states the outlet and its box must be listed for floor use; you can't just use run-of-the-mill box and outlet in a floor.

What I do notice is that for some reason, compared to said ROTM outlets and boxes, floor listed ones are expensive...as in one kit I bought was $35, and that was on the el-cheapo side.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to darkhand

Mod

to darkhand
said by darkhand:

It's definitely a switched basement light, so I guess that's out.

That depends on how it is wired. Power could come into the switch and go to the light or come into the box for the light and a switch leg goes to the switch.

darkhand
Premium Member
Hilliard, OH

darkhand

Premium Member

That makes sense. I guess that is why I should just call a professional.

Thanks,
Adam