Search similar:

uniqs
Xander
join:2012-04-12
London, KY

Xander

TWC services and VPN

Hello community,

I have TWC 50/5 service! I have purchased a VPN, everything is setup just fine to my knowledge . I am running Windows 7 HP 64 bit OS.
I have a question about VPN and speed! I was curious why my download speed doubles while connected to my VPN? My upload stays normal of 5.5Mbps.
I have read up on a article about compression, I just didn't understand the author. So I was hoping somebody here on dsl reports could elaborate what's happening. Most articles, I have read people complained of slow speeds, and mine is super charged.

Thanks for any input.

Xander.

Sent from IPhone

anon_5224
join:2001-10-23
united state

anon_5224

are you saying you get 100Mbps via VPN but only 50Mbps without it? Please post screenshots, etc if possible. AFAIK 50Mbps is the top speed in almost every TWC area at this time, and if you're actually getting faster speeds I'd have no idea how.
Xander
London, KY

Xander

Yes I am getting 117Mbps DL, I have tested with Xfinity, speed test.net, speakeasy, several times over! Also I tested over a 5 day period!
I will post screen shots, when I get home. I can't understand how either.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX

PamelaTS

My question is which vpn? I want some of that
Xander
London, KY

Xander

Ok before i gather some screen shots together i will post speed test from my Pc connecteed to my VPN.

I am sure there is some explaination to this speed test, my thread is to find out what.

Xfinity:

»stage.results.speedtest. ··· 8144.png

I saved the verizion and bright house speed test as a pdf because there is no copy link. Again there has to be an explaination.
Xander

Xander

Click for full size
Normal.pdf
153,657 bytes
Normal operation.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to Xander

Premium Member

to Xander
Heh I have the opposite problem. When I connect to my corporate VPN, speed tests show 11mbps uploads. It's clearly some sort of glitch or compression.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to Xander

MVM

to Xander
I'm tempted to say this is compression. The data speed tests use can be compressed quite nicely in many cases causing you to get funny results like this. Try downloading something over the VPN, and you should see it level off to around the same as your actual connection speed.
Xander
London, KY

1 edit

Xander

Well I have uninstalled Google Chrome, I thought may had something to do with it, I am now testing IE 11 which was released today!

Results:

The only thing that I can really think of, is that, I am testing the from the VPN server, to the test server. It may be a PIA bug, IDK really. What i am saying is that it maybe testing from VPN / Speedtest.net, and not My PC /VPN/ speed test server?!?!
Xander

Xander

I have downloaded IE 11 again, this time I saved the file to downloads.

The file for IE11 is 53.3 MB (bytes) I reached 3.01MB Download speed it took 9 seconds.

I need a math junkie

BTW, I see a huge improvement in IE11, I am a chrome fan, but the VPN works so damn smooth on IE11 I almost feel like IE 11 is faster than the current Version of Chrome, time will tell.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

In some benchmarks IE11 has been beating out Chrome, so the fact that it feels faster may not be too far off base. I just installed it on all of my Windows 7 machines and it's quite snappy. Although, Firefox or Chrome are still default for various reasons. The Windows 8 machines have all been updated to 8.1 which includes IE11 out of the box.

IE11 still lacks a bunch of HTML5 support, but it's definitely making IE8 and IE9 look like the new IE6.
azureknight
join:2013-09-10

azureknight to Xander

to Xander
PIA's using a proxy to make speedtests show up faster then you're actually getting. I have a 30mbit connection and when i was with PIA they were saying i was getting 200mbit. It's not true, the only way to test the real speed using the VPN is to download something as speedtests don't work since they use a proxy to try and boost speedtest speeds.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS

scooper to Xander

to Xander
If you want "accurate" speedtest results that can't be fooled by compresion - try using the java test here.