The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Verizon is also an ass in Wireline

VZ is just a terrible company. Your lucky if you get modern fiber to the home (typically people with FIOS will be the people praising VZ as the best telco ever), otherwise they don't care, and allow the existing infrastructure to literally fall apart.

If anyone can give a case of a Baby Bell gone rouge, VZ is the one to pick.

They want LTE to be the home solution for people who can only get DSL even in large towns and small cities, its rather ridiculous. Cable thanks them for giving up.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

We just started to turn up lots of managed circuits in Verizon territory. I thought that at&t was difficult to deal with and it couldn't be any more frustrating. Boy was I wrong.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

1 recommendation

cramer to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx
Don't forget the concessions they received for stringing fiber: exempt from open access rules (they don't have to share it with anyone.) From all the reports I've read, they remove the old copper infrastructure anywhere they install FiOS; completely removing any avenue for competition.

LTE (wireless) is the same way. They can allow whomever they want access (MVNO) and charge whatever they want, and layer on whatever restrictions they wish.
cramer

cramer to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
Nice to see nothing has changed here either. It took us over a year to get a DS3 installed 5+ years ago. There was over a month of back and forth about the address.

Contrast with our recent Earthlink metro-e (at&t fiber)... one conference call, two engineering visits. In a single month we had the engineering documents of what they were to do and what we needed to do to get there. (i.e. conduit and pull tape) [we reused the conduit and fiber from a vacant office above us. except the demo cut the ends off the cable... so it was the pull string for 150ft of new fiber. Interesting that their techs cannot do SM splicing, despite knowing it would have to be done.)

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

I used to coordinate with them the installation of frame relay T1 circuits nationwide at various branch offices and I swear to god, nine times out of ten they'd leave with more things broken than when they arrived. Especially in NYC.