All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
simsin0
join:2008-01-06

simsin0

[DSL] RT-N66U vs RT-AC66U

As the title states Im curious if I would benefit much from futureproofing to the AC66U?

Current connection is 50/10 DSL currently using a RTN-16.

Main reason for upgrade is range and signal quality the RT-N16 is good... but could be better.

What do you guys think?

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny

Anon

get the ac66u
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru to simsin0

to simsin0
There isn't a big advantage except for the model name. Hardware specs for both are similar and there isn't a huge improvement except for AC. Unless you have devices that will support AC then, get it.

In addition, if you want to get AC router then, wait as new AC routers will be out with beamforming.
Bugblndr
join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON

Bugblndr to simsin0

to simsin0
I run the AC66U because I want and need the AC speeds. Works great but I'm only using it for a WAP not as a router. I've got it installed in my basement and the wireless desktop and printer that are 2 floors above it work without issue.

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

1 edit

2 recommendations

RizzleQ to simsin0

Premium Member

to simsin0
IMO I would not purchase or use an 802.11ac router until that standard is finalized. I purchased an 802.11n device when it was Draft-N back in the day and I had issues upon issues across the board. When I got a finalized 802.11n router years ago it was smooth sailing and still is to this day. Although I know people have AC routers with no issues, I'm staying away until it's finalized. Current ETA on that is Q1 2014.

Edit: That finalized 802.11n router I speak of is the Asus RT-N16.
mmx4000
join:2010-02-16
Ottawa, ON

mmx4000 to simsin0

to simsin0
I would only get the AC router if you have a device that can take advantage of it, and that device would greatly benefit from having such speeds versus N speeds.

As was stated above, it isn't standardized yet. I was recently faced with the same decision as you, and I decided to steer clear of it for now. My girlfriend's Macbook Air does have AC capabilities, but she doesn't do anything that would need such a high throughput.

I'll likely pick up an AC router in 3-5 years when the tech has matured (and dropped in price), and most of my devices can support it.
simsin0

simsin0

I dont have any AC devices as it stands. So from what I gather the AC wont be much use for now.

Also how much of an improvement is the n66u compared to the n16? Is it a big jump in performance?

Whats the best FW for the n66> merlin?

RizzleQ
Premium Member
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

1 edit

RizzleQ

Premium Member

Performance wise, you're pretty much looking at a theoretical max 802.11n speed of 300mbps (N16) to 450mbps (N66U) and 128 MB of RAM (N16) to 256 MB of RAM (N66U).

The improved specs aren't a huge concern for me as I use gigabit Ethernet for all internal LAN transfers, and my wireless-n devices sadly don't even reach 300mbps anyway. My memory usage peaks at under 50% of the 128 MB so I hardly see the benefit of more RAM.

I highly recommend DD-WRT as the replacement firmware in any case.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to simsin0

MVM

to simsin0
There is a significant difference in the amount of flash (N66U has 32MB, AC66U has 128MB), but that doesn't really impact anything except perhaps how many extra packages you could load on with OpenWRT.
simsin0

simsin0

Hmm, would any of you have experience in regards to range and penetration my n16 is good, Im just curious if the n66 will be better?

Thanks!

also anyone sell their n16 recently? how much arwe they selling for now 60$~?
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

camelot to simsin0

to simsin0
I'd wait for the standard to be finalized. Wireless specs may greatly change until it's finalized and you don't want to risk what a firmware cannot correct.

RizzleQ
Premium Member
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

RizzleQ to simsin0

Premium Member

to simsin0
How is this router still around the same price as when I bought it like 3.5 years ago? It's a great router I guess. I got mine for $99.

»www.amazon.ca/dp/B00387G ··· botca-20

»www.newegg.ca/Product/Pr ··· 33320038

»www.ncix.com/products/?s ··· oid=1089

The wireless transmit power is at its default 17 mW and I get signal to my iPod up to the middle of the road in front of my house. That's through two walls, one floor, and around 30m in total. I don't even know if that's good as I have nothing to compare to. I haven't raised the transmit power nor have I run any tests with another router. To be fair, there are only two or three other wireless networks around my house.
tmo7213
join:2003-10-15
Toronto, ON

tmo7213 to simsin0

to simsin0
I've had both the n16 and n66. The n66 had better range and penetration for me at 2.4ghz. But I usually use the 5ghz band now.

I use the merlin firmware. It seems to give me better performance... probably because of the proprietary drivers.

Fraoch
join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
SmartRG SR808ac
TP-Link EAP225
Grandstream HT502

Fraoch to simsin0

to simsin0
said by simsin0:

Hmm, would any of you have experience in regards to range and penetration my n16 is good, Im just curious if the n66 will be better?

Thanks!

The N66U will almost certainly be better for range:

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· ghz-dn-c

The N66U also has 5 GHz. If you have any 5 GHz devices that connection will be very fast, especially at shorter ranges.

However, if you aren't having problems, why do you want to change it?

If you want to future-proof with 802.11ac, that's quite a moving target. They haven't even implemented goodies like MU-MIMO and 160 Hz channels yet. Once those are implemented and the bugs are worked out you probably won't want one of the first- and second-generation devices that are available now.

RMerlin
join:2009-10-09
Montreal, QC

RMerlin to simsin0

to simsin0
I hope they never go ahead with the 160 MHz channel idea. Cause that would make the 5 GHz band as problematic as the 2.4 GHz band became once they added 40 MHz width. 5 GHz might not suffer as much thanks to its reduced range, but it will still be a bad idea.

N66 vs AC66: for the average Joe, only difference is 802.11ac support. More flash, tho only really useful if you end up using jffs to store more stuff in flash. That flash is also faster (especially write speed). Range and speed is about the same (tho recent N66 firmwares have a much weaker signal than the AC66).

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to simsin0

MVM

to simsin0
Not quite as bad, because there's a lot more 5GHz spectrum and the FCC is trying to add a bunch more, but I do agree that it's dumb to use more than 80MHz.

RMerlin
join:2009-10-09
Montreal, QC

RMerlin

said by Guspaz:

Not quite as bad, because there's a lot more 5GHz spectrum and the FCC is trying to add a bunch more, but I do agree that it's dumb to use more than 80MHz.

The 5 GHz band scenery is also quite a mess, considering the big variations on available channels between different countries.
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

im an rt-ac66u user. i recommend the router unless your using a headset with 2.4 wifi like me, the 2.4 interferes like crazy with it, when it doesnt interfere with any other routers, the 2.4 range is good but not that great, and its definitely better on the n-66u

but then again if your gonna get the rt-ac66u u could spend $20 more and get the rt-ac68u and fully futureproof with the 600N spec via turboQAM, would be cool if in 3-5 years that turboQAM support becomes standard on wifi cards, even tho your much better of just switching to the ac spec

if you get any of the routers mentioned about make sure to use merlins firmware!