All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Taget
join:2004-07-29

Taget

Thank goodness Apple came along.

And I'm saying that as someone who otherwise dislikes Apple, it's iphone, and it's general behavior.

Apple certainly was not the first company that came up with the idea of apps or useful programs one could run on your phone. But before then the carriers generally stripped whatever innovations the manufacters tried to sneak through and replaced them with buggy brew programs (like gps or vcast) you could make a certain numbers extra a month to use.

Apple had the market presense that they could get at least one manufacter (AT&T) to agree to let them do what honestly all cell phone makers had wanted to do for years. Be allowed to bring their innovations to market. And when it caught fire the others had no choice but to allow the likes of Android on their system.

Apple was not the first attempt at a smart phone. But before then the walled garden was so tight that most people did not see much of a point in getting a pda phone. But it was unique circumstances and serendipity why we have things as good as we have them now. And companies like Verizon would love to use the market position they got off buying the competition and milking their landline customers to get control back and stifle the innovation they see as unfairly allowing others besides themselves to make money.

The problem of course is government is a very blunt instrument to use for an often nuanced situation. Which is what makes the FCC's 600 MHz auction so important. The best way to keep the carriers honest is to have at least 4 competitive carriers. And there are carriers (Verizon and AT&T) who have a virtual lock on most of the good low frequency bandwidth. They need to be kept away from it.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Re: Thank goodness Apple came along.

Only 4 competitive carriers? Did we get innovation when we had four US-based car manufacturers (GM, Ford, Chrysler, AMC)?

IMO -- we need all we can get and they need to operate within a framework of rules that halt activities such as those Verizon is accused of practicing.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to Taget

to Taget
What good did Apple bring? They don't really invent anything. They use the same basic hardware over and over again. Design doesn't change, screen size barley changes, storage room is ALWAYS the same, and why pay $600+ for a device out of contract that they make for $25???

Apple doesn't bring anything to the table but hand holding and and over priced phone that depends on our iTunes account and credit card.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat

Re: Thank goodness Apple came along.

said by TBBroadband:

What good did Apple bring?

Notice there is never any bloatware installed on iPhones. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think my wife's Verizon iPhone had anything else on it.