how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

simsin0

join:2008-01-06
reply to simsin0

Re: [DSL] RT-N66U vs RT-AC66U

Hmm, would any of you have experience in regards to range and penetration my n16 is good, Im just curious if the n66 will be better?

Thanks!

also anyone sell their n16 recently? how much arwe they selling for now 60$~?

RizzleQ

join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

How is this router still around the same price as when I bought it like 3.5 years ago? It's a great router I guess. I got mine for $99.

»www.amazon.ca/dp/B00387G6R8/ref=···botca-20

»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···33320038

»www.ncix.com/products/?sku=45265···oid=1089

The wireless transmit power is at its default 17 mW and I get signal to my iPod up to the middle of the road in front of my house. That's through two walls, one floor, and around 30m in total. I don't even know if that's good as I have nothing to compare to. I haven't raised the transmit power nor have I run any tests with another router. To be fair, there are only two or three other wireless networks around my house.

tmo72

join:2003-10-15
Goderich, ON
reply to simsin0

I've had both the n16 and n66. The n66 had better range and penetration for me at 2.4ghz. But I usually use the 5ghz band now.

I use the merlin firmware. It seems to give me better performance... probably because of the proprietary drivers.

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to simsin0

said by simsin0:

Hmm, would any of you have experience in regards to range and penetration my n16 is good, Im just curious if the n66 will be better?

Thanks!

The N66U will almost certainly be better for range:

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/r···ghz-dn-c

The N66U also has 5 GHz. If you have any 5 GHz devices that connection will be very fast, especially at shorter ranges.

However, if you aren't having problems, why do you want to change it?

If you want to future-proof with 802.11ac, that's quite a moving target. They haven't even implemented goodies like MU-MIMO and 160 Hz channels yet. Once those are implemented and the bugs are worked out you probably won't want one of the first- and second-generation devices that are available now.
--
TekSavvy 35/3 cable - Technicolor DCM476 - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite - Amer Networks SGD8 switch - ASUS RT-N66U (as AP)